Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
can I shoot it?
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like FL is coming on strong for 2018 with a ton of new offerings. The new soft shells and new supper puffy will be cool to try out.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The stuff looks great.

I’m sure they know what they are doing, but it’s unfortunate they aren’t going with ASAT and pulling out from using dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I was just about to make a post on this. Strongly considering going with First Lite this year mostly due to the Catalyst (sounds like First Lite’s take On the Sitka Stratus).

My question is about the puffy. I’ve never used one. Is it something I could throw OVER the Catalyst (windproof) and stay warm when temps drop into low 30’s and 20’s? Will it get in the way shooting my bow?

Last year I used the Stratus and Fanatic vest for those ranges.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I was just about to make a post on this. Strongly considering going with First Lite this year mostly due to the Catalyst (sounds like First Lite’s take On the Sitka Stratus).

My question is about the puffy. I’ve never used one. Is it something I could throw OVER the Catalyst (windproof) and stay warm when temps drop into low 30’s and 20’s? Will it get in the way shooting my bow?

Last year I used the Stratus and Fanatic vest for those ranges.

The Catalyst is windproof?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The Catalyst is windproof?
I’m pretty sure I read that. I’ve been looking for confirmation. I believe I read it from a tester on a forum.

Just emailed them to see.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I’m pretty sure I read that. I’ve been looking for confirmation. I believe I read it from a tester on a forum.
Oh ok. I couldn’t find anywhere it said it was and I thought with it being breathable it wouldnt be. It would be nice if it is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What are the odds we get woodbury bibs? My wife got me the sanctuary jacket for Christmas and with some left over money I’m picking up the bibs. But that will be to warm for the start of deer season next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
can I shoot it?
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh ok. I couldn’t find anywhere it said it was and I thought with it being breathable it wouldnt be. It would be nice if it is.
I don’t think it is windproof, but wind resistant.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That’s a HUGE letdown if not windproof. I have no use for it in PA where I hunt. Always some type of wind and when temps dip a bit it is killer.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I received a reply from First Lite and they told me the Catalyst is extremely wind RESISTANT and not 100% windproof. Not being able to test this myself I may have to stay away. Was really hoping it was windproof.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I believe their North Branch set it wind and water proof, but, from what I've read, are fairly loud so probably not good for archery.

Their Sanctuary and Woodbury stuff doesn't claim to be windproof, but from wearing the Sanctuary it is HIGHLY wind "resistant." If the Catalyst is THAT wind resistant then I may still consider it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Just chatted with Casey from First Lite. Told me the new puffy may be a bit loud for Treestand hunting (at least for an outer layer). Also that the Catalyst is arguably as wind "resistant" as the Sanctuary without the insulation.

·
IS IT BOW SEASON YET
1,913 Posts
I think their ratings are pretty conservative, the say that the north branch are extremely water proof but they show a video of a hydrant being ran on it and the water is just splashing off. Their storm tight is the waterproof set. I have the North branch pants, just got them so i havent had a chance to really use them yet but they arent really that loud at all to me.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I went to DSC over the weekend and stopped by their booth. The new puffy is pretty awesome, and I wouldn't be a bit concerned about noise with it. I snagged a few things 40% off that they will be discontinuing too, so that was a plus. Very cool new lineup though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I went to DSC over the weekend and stopped by their booth. The new puffy is pretty awesome, and I wouldn't be a bit concerned about noise with it. I snagged a few things 40% off that they will be discontinuing too, so that was a plus. Very cool new lineup though.
Can you say what items will they be discontinuing for 2018? I just bought some tops recently (Aerowool SS, Llano LS, Aerowool LS, Chama Hoodie, Sawtooth).

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,520 Posts
I have a little First Lite but not much. Problem is most of it doesn't quite match up to equivalents from Sitka or even KUIU. The discussion above is a classic example. I think the Sitka Stratus stuff is easily the best mid-to-late season whitetail gear available. The fact that First Lite doesn't have a good insulated and fully windproof hooded jacket and matching pants to serve this need is ridiculous. That should be a "cornerstone" offering of theirs, if you will, and yet they still don't offer it at all even after years of being in business. They need some serious strategic help over there IMO.

I do like their camo patterns a lot though - just never get to leverage them as they don't put it on gear I have any interest in.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can you say what items will they be discontinuing for 2018? I just bought some tops recently (Aerowool SS, Llano LS, Aerowool LS, Chama Hoodie, Sawtooth).
I am not sure the entire list, but I got a springer vest, and a llano top. There was quite a bit of stuff marked down, I just didn't note what they were all called.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I have a little First Lite but not much. Problem is most of it doesn't quite match up to equivalents from Sitka or even KUIU. The discussion above is a classic example. I think the Sitka Stratus stuff is easily the best mid-to-late season whitetail gear available. The fact that First Lite doesn't have a good insulated and fully windproof hooded jacket and matching pants to serve this need is ridiculous. That should be a "cornerstone" offering of theirs, if you will, and yet they still don't offer it at all even after years of being in business. They need some serious strategic help over there IMO.

I do like their camo patterns a lot though - just never get to leverage them as they don't put it on gear I have any interest in.
well, I have use their Sanctuary in 0-5 degrees with high wind and it handled the conditions better for me than any "windproof" item I've ever used. Don't know if they really care a bunch about your thoughts on their business strategy :)

I Like some Sitka gear for sure and have not found anything from KUIU that stands out for me. Everyone is a little different and has different needs. Seems like you feel a need to decide which way is the best way for a lot of these companies to do well. Many seem to be doing fine without your help. I get you have an opinion, but the fact that you are constantly making accusatory statements about the apparent lack of business knowledge you feel these companies have gets a lil old............

1 - 20 of 65 Posts