Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
can I shoot it?
16,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am just starting to formulate an idea in my head that I think would be interesting to try. At this point it is just brain storming and not sure I will carry it out but looking for thoughts from the AT community. My idea is this; to go along with my bow reviews and gear reviews I thought for a YouTube channel idea that I would take my 2018 season and go back to the "root" of bow hunting.

I would put away all the Sitka and FL (with maybe the exception of some merino base layers and only buy either extremely discounted gear online or wait for the blow out prices at Wall Mart. I would log everything I bought and what I saved in doing so. I would do videos on how the equipment compared and fit for the dollar spent. I would not hunt any family property or my small lease and instead only hunt on places that I knocked and received permission, public land, or the small national guard post I can hunt on near by. I would set up trail cameras and face the reality of them being gone when I go to check them. In short I would hunt as I have not had to hunt for a VERY long time. I would not go on any out of state hunts and save that money for a year and instead target only mature bucks that I found on the places I could hunt. Again, videoing what I could and sharing it how I could.

Now the first exceptions I can think of (as I am brain storming) are that I always take an out of state turkey hunt each year either after Rio's or Merriams but it is always on public land that we have found so that isn't going too far out of the scope of my intent. The other exception is this. I often guide a few times in the spring for a couple of shows that usually bring in some of the larger names in the hunting industry to hunt with the hosts of these shows. I am not paid but I still do my best to make sure these guys and girls are set up for success and in turn get great video and help my buddies that host these shows out for their seasons. While I will offer up the idea of hunting on public or the other places I have gotten permission on for these hunters, I very well may fall back on my "go to" places that absolutely always have Toms on them for these shows only. This is for helping out my friends and don't feel bad about stepping outside my plan to do so.

So besides these few exceptions here is what I am thinking of doing. Anyone out there think I am crazy, stupid, or just plain wrong? Any thoughts on if this will make for some good videos or just a bad all around idea? What do you guys/girls think?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think this sounds like a really cool idea. It could possibly help out guys like me that are starting out by following along to your process of figuring out a new property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
it's a great idea!

that would have potential to help lots of folks, with you documenting real "average joe" type hunting. interesting concept, and I think it's a great one in regards to what hunting is seeming to become.

the following year, you could do the exact opposite and have some data from both sides to compare notes with.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sounds like a year in my life. Something the average Joe working man has to deal with. Theft, showing up and someone else already there, ect,ect...

·
Back down to ground level
16,101 Posts
Sounds like a year in my life. Something the average Joe working man has to deal with. Theft, showing up and someone else already there, ect,ect...
Just about to say the same thing. Sounds like it will be a story of my life. 41, keep it informative, explain everything and why, and show 'how to enjoy the outdoors while hunting' instead of 'how to be a successful trophy hunter on a budget', and you might have something. Could take decades to put together, because every year will be a different experience on public land.

·
can I shoot it?
16,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise guys. I am still trying to hash everything out in my brain but this might be do-able. It most likely will be a one year offshoot though for the YouTube channel. From what I have seen public land bowhunting does not draw many views and if I am not hunting on family land or a lease I have already paid for it won’t be a multi year thing.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Look forward to seeing it. I own good gear and hunt mostly private ground. Those things are not the reason I hunt, I think many people have been sucked into the vortex of tv hunting in terms of both antler size and marketing

·
11,954 Posts
I think its an interesting idea, one that I would follow but not do myself. :)

We hear it all the time on AT - "why do you need that expensive xyz item???" A compare and contrast video series from someone who has had good gear, then uses cheaper, possibly lesser quality gear would be very interesting to me.

·
Disco89
981 Posts
Better yet, do the same type of hunting but without using game cameras. Only use actual scouting and reading sign to determine where to hunt, and the quality of the buck that lives there. That would really be what very many hunters actually do/have to do and be a great way to help educate yourself and others.

Army surplus and/or garage sale clothing would be another possibility and way to show how some hunters do things to make hunting possible/affordable for them and their kids.

I'd be quite interested as I'm sure would many others. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I would follow it, that's exactly how I hunt, I have the money too have any gear I want but I choose too hunt exactly how your describing your idea would be great for my kids and younger family members too follow it along as well so they can see you don't need all the high dollar gear too be successful.

And too show them it isn't all about the size of the rack.

I'm in great idea.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
That sounds really cool. You live in the greater Des Moines area correct? My kids are so into hunting right now that I don't get as much time for me and I want them to be successful so we target the best spots most of the time. I am actually looking to purchase land more so because it is easier for the kids. A large part of me misses hunting some of my old public spots. I have started to give them away to some friends, one of them killed his first archery deer this year. I helped him recover it.

There are some awesome public land here in Central Iowa to hunt. I think you would be super successful through the rut, where it will get difficult is late season is just tough on public ground.

If you need any help let me know.

Oh can I hunt your lease and family ground next year! :mg:

·
Registered
23,279 Posts
I lived the core of this scenario in the 2017 season, as we moved in June and I basically started from scratch on a new small (and unproductive) private land spot and a large, but untapped public land spot. No "honey holes" or unexpected activity....just lots of ground pounding and nocturnal trail cam pix. Lots of things going on to compete with hunting time as well. I've never bought into the FL,KUIU, Sitka clothing fascination anyway and hunt in ASAT or Cabela's outfitter. 2018 will be a year of invested pre-season scouting of the large public land area and hopes of finally locating a piece of private ground to call my own....as in purchase.

I would be interested in seeing how your season pans out......and if you are able to resist the temptation to revert back to your high productive areas when the rut is knocking on the door. :wink: That would be tough for me.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
A lot of us already hunt like that. Cheap clothes, public land, no cameras, extremely discounted gear.....just go out and hunt every year. Been doing that for 35+ years.

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
A lot of us already hunt like that. Cheap clothes, public land, no cameras, extremely discounted gear.....just go out and hunt every year. Been doing that for 35+ years.
there are so many that don't hunt that way that I think it would be a refreshing project. I like the new high end hunting clothes, but I am a public land only guy as well. I don't run cams for big game seasons, and like to just go hunt.

I do buy heavily discounted gear mostly, hate paying retail, and never had any issues in the past killing stuff in Walmart camo.... it did seam like every pair of pants got holes in the pockets, that was irritating:wink:

with hunting veering towards money, private land, and growing big bucks on properties people designed to do so, I think a regular joe project would get lots of attention, and I think it would be cool to see from an outside perspective.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I disagree on public hunting not drawing views. Last year that was my favorite part of Midwest Whitetails and I now follow The Hunting Public on YT religiously. One of the best shows out there. Don't mind the guys hunting their own place. Hate outfitted hunts.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
there are so many that don't hunt that way that I think it would be a refreshing project.
I'm willing to bet that the majority of hunters out there aren't your typical "forum hunters", and most of them use whatever they've been using for decades. The "new bow, new camo, new boots, new gear every year" hunters are a much smaller minority I'm willing to bet. On the other hand.......that minority are also the one's watching the youtube videos.......so ya, you're right. They could benefit from it.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I like the idea, but like 5Miles is saying I think the majority of people already hunt this way.

I'd like to see a "back to the 80's or 90's" thing before all the tech. Setting up and shooting an older compound and hunting without trail cams and laser range finders.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts