Archery Talk Forum banner

3961 - 3980 of 4478 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
JohnPro you always pile up the big sheds man!
Just curious if it’s led you to big buck during the season....i.e. have you correlated any over to seasonal sightings or patterns? Asking because it seems their patterns change a ton this time of year.
I pulled 8 cams on two separate properties on Sunday and a ton of bucks had already lost. There were two half racks and only two decent bucks in full rack and a few spikes. Most of the bucks here have shed and I am gearing same from friends.
I spend a ton of time in the woods in offseason and have very few sheds to show for it. I am not shed hunting though....looking for deer sign over anything.
Yes, I definately believe shed hunting has really helped me get on big bucks in the archery season.
In the bigwoods most of these deer are using the same food sources from September until March

In 2018 i found an area that was destroyed with buck sign, consequently I managed to pull 5 antlers out of it as well, I swore I would come back

next 2 years the oak didn’t produce and the sign was minimal, well 2020 it produced and I managed to see 8 bucks and 15 doe in all day sit. I killed my biggest buck to date which was a 145 2/8 s 11 point

I have many spots like that now that are quite cyclical and depend on food, and shed hunting has really opened me up to the importance of food

Attachments

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
28,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,964
It's only unlimited until the supply for the WMU is exhausted.
And you can only possess 4 at a time.
^^^^^^ This

It's not a bottomless barrel of tags.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,072 Posts
the 4 limit possession will be interesting...as I understand it, it is 4 total...so for guys like myself who hunt several WMUs, it could be limiting (not that it matters this year, the way things have gone for me for sure)(n) .... if that is truly the case the Commission loses...take for example my typical annual contribution 3-4 tags mixed between 5C and 5D and 2-3 more mixed between 2H and 3A....that's 5-7 tags a year minimum....

"I guess" one could buy whatever you want and keep the rest at home, but I don't think that is how "possession" is often viewed in these circles....

I could be wrong.

·
Registered
323 Posts
the 4 limit possession will be interesting...as I understand it, it is 4 total...so for guys like myself who hunt several WMUs, it could be limiting (not that it matters this year, the way things have gone for me for sure)(n) .... if that is truly the case the Commission loses...take for example my typical annual contribution 3-4 tags mixed between 5C and 5D and 2-3 more mixed between 2H and 3A....that's 5-7 tags a year minimum....

"I guess" one could buy whatever you want and keep the rest at home, but I don't think that is how "possession" is often viewed in these circles....

I could be wrong.
I'm betting they finally figured out a way to get people to fill out the Harvest Reports. My guess is you can only have four open tags on you CID number at one time. Fill out your Harvest Report online and now you have 3 and can apply for another.
This is how it's worded in the Agenda.

Reactions: HNTRDAVE

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,072 Posts
^^^^THAT WOULD BE AWESOME^^^^

At least then there is a much better chance for there to some accuracy/relevancy behind "the data" the Commission constantly throws at us and uses to inform their decisions....

Said it for YEARS....wish they would do it for the buck tags too....can't get your new license until you inform on your last one...

Both my son and I were randomly selected to particapte in the pheasant survey and my son was also selected for the dove survey....the survey site isn't working...card says if you have trouble just wait and they'll send a paper survey....

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
I personally think antlers drop when the sweet smell of estrous is gone. It’s all hormonal, just like milk. After an Initial time period, if she stops getting milked, she will dry up. As long as the estrous is in the air, and doe are still viable, the buck in that area are gonna hold on and keep at it. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is more true than not. I believe I've read that antlers drop when testosterone drops. So in areas where there are more does and less competition it is likely bucks drop antlers sooner. This certainly agrees with what I've seen over the years. I guess there is some merit to the expression "being horny".

Reactions: 12-Ringer

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
Hah ha, von!

In the room I'm in right now I can see antler 3 piles. 1 has deadheads and sheds in it...another has just sheds and the 3rd pile is all the bucks I've ever killed. Still don't why I keep all the sheds and deadheads I've found and keep asking myself why I keep them.
I don't have enough room to display much else with a few fish on the wall, 6 turkeys and one in strut on the floor to go along with everything else in the room. If I ever decided to get a shoulder mount buck done I don't have a clue where I'd put it.
I'm not even sure why I keep all the antlers from the ones I've killed. Most are literally in a pile in the corner of the garage. I keep threatening to get rid of them but haven't yet. The exceptional ones are on the wall in some way, shape, or form. But I've collected a lot of antlers in 40 some years of hunting.

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
I haven’t put cams out for a few years now but when I did in 5C, I would see some bucks holding both sides into mid March.
A few years back I saw a big buck chasing a doe along the turnpike in 5C in April.

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
I'm betting they finally figured out a way to get people to fill out the Harvest Reports. My guess is you can only have four open tags on you CID number at one time. Fill out your Harvest Report online and now you have 3 and can apply for another.
This is how it's worded in the Agenda.
View attachment 7346544
The headline around this was really stupid. It really isn't "unlimited tags". But they did find a way to keep people from going to the court house and buying 25 of them in special regs. I DO like that. And now i fully support keeping the tags with the treasurers too because I want it to be a nuisance for the guys that hunt the neighboring properties to have to work a little harder. Maybe it will keep them from flinging an arrow at every piece of brown fur they whether they have a reasonable shot or not. If they don't see it fall they don't even go look.

Reactions: nicko

·
Registered
19,251 Posts
I saw these at a Sherwin Williams store yesterday. I immediately thought of applying it to a hunting scenario for a walk in style of hunt. Expensive and heavy however. Obviously a camouflage treatment would be required.
AF94CB29-C2FA-4D51-96B5-052A515A1CF8.jpeg

·
Registered
28,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,974
All I want / like to get is two tags for 3A and two tags for 5C. I've never taken more than 2 deer in a season but I like having options if Potter is providing more shot opportunities than Berks and vice versa.

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
All I want / like to get is two tags for 3A and two tags for 5C. I've never taken more than 2 deer in a season but I like having options if Potter is providing more shot opportunities than Berks and vice versa.
Likewise. I usually have a 5D tag and a 3D tag. This year I picked up a 5C tag. The nice thing under the new scenario is you shouldn't necessarily have to pre-buy them. Without people buying 9000 tags each there should be some left through the season. Which is I think exactly what they are trying to do. Get tags into the pockets of people who will actually go use them.

·
Registered
28,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,976
I saw these at a Sherwin Williams store yesterday. I immediately thought of applying it to a hunting scenario for a walk in style of hunt. Expensive and heavy however. Obviously a camouflage treatment would be required.
View attachment 7346748

Which location Matt?

I've had one of them for over 17 years and used it every day for work until last week. Was in a garage getting up on some built-in shelving and two of the sections did not fully engage/click and it went out on me (my fault). I was maybe 6 feet up but landed hard on the garage floor on my back, ass, and elbow (all on my left-hand side). Felt OK that day but the next day I felt like I was in a car wreck. Elbow turned purple and swollen and still is sore to pressure. Don't know how I didn't break anything but the ladder. My weight came down on it and twisted it up so it's done. I bought a different brand to replace it and don't like it at all so I will be getting another X-n-C..

The xtend-n-climb models are expensive but IMO are the best of this type of telescopic ladder. Hauling one into the woods would be a major PITA. They are obviously portable but the weight is a big drawback.

·
Registered
28,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,977
Likewise. I usually have a 5D tag and a 3D tag. This year I picked up a 5C tag. The nice thing under the new scenario is you shouldn't necessarily have to pre-buy them. Without people buying 9000 tags each there should be some left through the season. Which is I think exactly what they are trying to do. Get tags into the pockets of people who will actually go use them.
This change will be good as well for people who wait to get their general license but I think some units will still sell out quickly.

·
Registered
19,251 Posts
Wow, I’m light years behind, never saw a telescopic ladder before.
This was in Falls twp, lower Bucks, not far from the township bldg.
I saw a fork horn in a very small wood lot too, felt sorry for him in that environment.

·
Registered
19,251 Posts
A buddy had a telescopic stick/stand combo years ago, think it was called a Packmaster?

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
Wow, I’m light years behind, never saw a telescopic ladder before.
This was in Falls twp, lower Bucks, not far from the township bldg.
I saw a fork horn in a very small wood lot too, felt sorry for him in that environment.
A lot of RV places have really lightweight aluminum ones. They aren't cheap though.

3961 - 3980 of 4478 Posts