·
Registered
19,238 Posts
Bad image or cross with a sheep!?
0D069448-CB0F-4025-BEF0-BB2792C2F2E2.jpeg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Any of you guys do decide to unload some of your antlers, I'll pay shipping or pickup if close. Pup is on his last one and I struck out last year on sheds.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
28,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,983
Last day tomorrow. Going flintlock or bust. Not liking the wind speed but it is what it is. Good luck to anybody hunting the 11th hour.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,265 Posts
Good luck with that Nick! ;)...wish you luck:)

My area says a high temp in the 20's with 15-20+mph winds. To tells you the truth I'm not sure I'd brave it even if it was still in here and I had a couple tags left...gettin' a chill just thinkin' bout it.

·
1,265 Posts
I'm not even sure why I keep all the antlers from the ones I've killed. Most are literally in a pile in the corner of the garage. I keep threatening to get rid of them but haven't yet. The exceptional ones are on the wall in some way, shape, or form. But I've collected a lot of antlers in 40 some years of hunting.
Now you got me thinking of you doing a "Beavis" when you stare at your piles of antlers!

I think of those I killed as being a trophy in one way or another no matter the size. A few were on the wall in euro or plaque form at one time but all ended up in the same pile? Don't think I could ever get rid of them though as they're too much of a sentimental and physical reminder. One that I can hold in my hands and think back to whomever I may have been out with at that time, time of year, where I hunted, if I had previous history with that buck and so on.
I could recount a fair bit about each one although the year involved could be hazy at times.

What about the spoils of turkey hunting...fans, spurs and beards? I've been at the point where I don't keep the fan unless its nearly perfect or unique in some way. The spurs and beards are put in shoe boxes and marked by date,state and season but I still haven't figured out what to do with them as far as displaying them. I have 4 on plaques, 2 full mounts and 2 breasts mounts taking up space as it is. I never really liked the multiple beard at a time displays but options are limited and otherwise take up a lot more room.

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
The article I was sent did not make it clear. I figured someone here would know this skinny..
Thanks
Like most media stories . . they sensationalized the headline grabbing parts.

·
Registered
11,052 Posts
Now you got me thinking of you doing a "Beavis" when you stare at your piles of antlers!
:D:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I think of those I killed as being a trophy in one way or another no matter the size. A few were on the wall in euro or plaque form at one time but all ended up in the same pile? Don't think I could ever get rid of them though as they're too much of a sentimental and physical reminder. One that I can hold in my hands and think back to whomever I may have been out with at that time, time of year, where I hunted, if I had previous history with that buck and so on.
I could recount a fair bit about each one although the year involved could be hazy at times.
Same for me. But like looking at old photos, I realize I remember those things whether I have the photos or not. I would probably not be able to give the antlers away as dog chew toys or anything, but I could give them to someone that wanted to make something nice from them.

·
Registered
28,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,990
Got about six or seven of them bumped and on their feet but they ran to an area I don’t have permission to hunt.It’s a start.

·
Perry Hunter
2,312 Posts
Got about six or seven of them bumped and on their feet but they ran to an area I don’t have permission to hunt.It’s a start.
Good luck Nick! Go for broke today.

·
Registered
28,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,994 (Edited)
Walkers started hitting the trails so I decided about 11:30 AM to call it quits. Found a spot in the woods and was walking into to unload the gun and three tails popped up… Hung up in the timber about 60 yards away from me with no clear shot and they triotted ioff.

Not a bad final day for me on this mountain seeing 9 to 10 deer. Wind was cranking out of the west. I guess hunting in the wind isn't worthless afterall. :)

I got an e-mail today about the 2021 Total Archery Challenge. Registration for the 7 Springs location starts 2/17 and the dates of the shoot are 6/3 - 6/6. Our sons high school is not announcing the graduation date for seniors until sometime in April and it could be during the dates of the shoot but I won't know for a while. Could still sign up and eat the cost if it comes down to it.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,264 Posts
:D:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Same for me. But like looking at old photos, I realize I remember those things whether I have the photos or not. I would probably not be able to give the antlers away as dog chew toys or anything, but I could give them to someone that wanted to make something nice from them.
When I was a kid I took every sports trophy I had lined them up, snapped a picture and threw them all in the garbage five minutes later. Its just nonsense taking up space. Im getting better with age about not keeping stuff that serves no purpose. Id prob have the same thoughts as you but Ive eatn a ton of buck tags over the years by choice, they sure dont taste like mid winter shank veg soup.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
This monster's still holding. JohnPro I'll invite you down when he sheds, I'm sure he will only enhance your collection :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
In a tree I've hunted out of for 15 years (old faithful). The homeowners informed us they will be moving in the spring. It's been a good spot over the years and we've killed a bunch of deer. 5D prime location.

·
Registered
28,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,998
In a tree I've hunted out of for 15 years (old faithful). The homeowners informed us they will be moving in the spring. It's been a good spot over the years and we've killed a bunch of deer. 5D prime location.
That sucks. Sounds like the perfect tree to close out the season.

·
1,265 Posts
Maybe there's a chance the new owners will grant you permission if you ask? You never know.

I had a tree like that for 20yrs, took 3 of my nicest bucks during my last 5 yrs hunting out of it. Ended on a high note but the loss came out of nowhere like a kick to the groin.

I replaced that tree since then with another on a different property that consistantly produces but what I see from it could be altered significantly later this year. Hoping the farmer adds it to his and while I hunt no where near the property line (even though I have/had access to both) deer pass through it on their way by me from both directions. If somebody builds a house on it things are going to definitely change a bit.

·
1,265 Posts
Nick, glad you atleast saw some deer for your efforts on this cold and breezy last day!

I was out in it for a bit but not hunting. That wind was definitely cold on any exposed skin.

3981 - 4000 of 4443 Posts