Archery Talk Forum banner

4461 - 4480 of 4816 Posts

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,461
no idea what this is… Maybe some type of marker put down for aerial surveying?

CD0A4E00-2CF0-4605-850F-DB239FE9DCC6.jpeg

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,462
This is the one and only access road into these game lands. It is a regular two lane
AF11A090-6CDB-4465-8C05-C6D9C684B8BB.jpeg
Rd. once you get past the gate into the asphalt.

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
15,623 Posts
That is a bit odd. Have you seen any others?

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,465
That is a bit odd. Have you seen any others?
None.

I used to hunt these GL but stopped because hunting traffic really ramped up in recent years. It gets a lot of use.

·
Ad Meliora
18,180 Posts
I actually support this move...maybe I’m in the minority?
Curious why? I know nothing of area or circumstances, at face value it seems to be a step backward for hunting opportunity? Likely there are mitigating circumstances you know about that I don’t?

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,467
I don't know how many of you saw this, but back in January while deer season was still going on in the Southeast, the board voted for preliminary approval to changes that will greatly affect hunters that kill deer in 5C and 5D. They are planning to limit hunters to a maximum of 4 doe tags at a time for the entire state, special regs areas included. After you report a harvest, then you are allowed to apply for another tag from the leftovers, but that would require a trip to a country treasurer or a pink envelope in the mail that takes weeks. You can't pick up your next tag at a retail store - is a drive to the county courthouse during their business hours during m-f excluding holidays.

Gone will be having in hand 3 tags for the state plus as many as you wish to purchase for 5C and 5D.

If you normally go into September with three tags for upstate hunts, and then also buy a handful of tags for 5C and 5D, you will not be able to do that this year.

This has not been finalized yet, but the first vote was snuck through in January while we were still on stand. They will meet and vote again in April. Take action now, and tell your hunting partners as well.

If you want access to the same tags as years past, tell them to leave the special regs WMUs out of this new tag limit system. Contact the pgc and your commissioners by phone to get your voice heard. At the very least, send them an email to:
[email protected]

If the PGC will allow hunters to buy their doe tags on-line and print them out with their updated website, it would make buying the tags a lot easier but the counties would first need to give up control of those sales. If it’s going to make it easier to buy tags, I’d say just keep giving counties their meager cut of every doe tag sold and let us buy these tags on-line and print them out ourselves.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,466 Posts
For one I think it will improve harvest reporting. Keep in mind a hunter can still hold 4 permits in their possession at any one time, but can’t get more until they report on their previous.

I was in-line last year at Chesco Court House snd the guy in front of me bought 19 permits. Said he was buying for others (which I didn’t think was allowable and if it is, that should also be stopped). I know when Ty was younger I would take him 1/2 from school and we’d drive up to get our together, might sound a little corny, but it was one of “those” moments/days. Stop off for lunch, grab our permit, goof around....

I’d rather not be crude about it as it will awaken the apologists, but we all know how important harvest statistics should be...they help shape everything from WMU boundaries and tag allocations to season lengths and timing.

While I do think this will hit the PAGC in the wallet, I do think it is better than what has been happening certainly has the potential to lead to more accurate data collection which we all hope would lead to better informed decisions being made.

I would love to see a general license increase with a guaranteed anterless tag included for the WMU of choice for all resident licenses purchased prior to 8/1 and non-resident 9/1. That will give a hard data point to shape the rest of the allocations and then they could proceed with antlerless tag sales as they have in the past; with the exception of the new limitations.

It would certainly be interesting and in the very least they are trying something that has the potential to lead to better data collection and limiting those who swallow tags at the point of purchase; to be used or not.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
This blind was still standing two weeks ago but that last blast of heavy snow took it out. You can see the wood prop that kept it solid till now. Mostly just dried out material let loose. Bummer but this would have been the third winter for it. Owes me nothing. On a positive 8 deer were feeding on the edge of a field when I rolled in.

·
Ad Meliora
18,180 Posts
Curious why? I know nothing of area or circumstances, at face value it seems to be a step backward for hunting opportunity? Likely there are mitigating circumstances you know about that I don’t?
I thought u were commenting on Limerick development...were you commenting on new antlerless regs?

·
Registered
19,353 Posts
Decided, going to spring gobbler hunt Tennessee this year. Flying, not sure I want to take my bow. I’ll be content just calling for my S-I-L.

Reactions: LetThemGrow

·
24,466 Posts
Decided, going to spring gobbler hunt Tennessee this year. Flying, not sure I want to take my bow. I’ll be content just calling for my S-I-L.
Should be fun...you can always ship you bow UPS...that’s what I do when I fly...in fact I also ship all of my gear too snd fly with just my carryon. Only slightly more expensive, much more secure, and you get notification that your gear is there waiting on you often before you even get in the plane.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
19,353 Posts
Good thought Joe, just so afraid of today’s shipping issues....

·
24,466 Posts
Some agencies UPS, FedEx, have guaranteed delivery with insurance...I looked back, it was actually LESS than what the airlines wanted AND I didn't have to mess around at the airports. No baggage claim at all...

USPS told me they will NOT ship the bow and arrows together. I went with UPS with priority, insurance, and notifications it was $110...that price was for my bow case and a lockable 33-gallon tote that was packed with all of my gear. According to the notes I wrote on the receipt, the airlines wanted $60 for the bow case and $95 for the tote because of the dimensions and weight.

Sounds like just being there with your family will likely be vaca enough. Whatever you choose, enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
USPS told me they will NOT ship the bow and arrows together. I went with UPS with priority, insurance, and notifications it was $110...that price was for my bow case and a lockable 33-gallon tote that was packed with all of my gear. According to the notes I wrote on the receipt, the airlines wanted $60 for the bow case and $95 for the tote because of the dimensions and weight.
😲 :rolleyes: I wonder what exactly they think they are protecting us from? You know . . all those mass shootings involving bows and arrows. Or maybe worried about Indian attacks since they seem to deliver via pony express these days.

Reactions: LetThemGrow
4461 - 4480 of 4816 Posts