Archery Talk Forum banner

4821 - 4840 of 5132 Posts

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Would NOT be all that bad if some would just exercise some self-control...it’s not really that hard.

What’s worse is listening to folks complaining about a year or two after they bragged on the way to and from the processors with a few slick heads in the bed of their truck.

Just because the Commission approves it, doesn’t mean folks have to go on a shooting spree.
Realistically though that’s how it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
I heard 113 shots the first day of buck/doe last year.
I was not out all day, just morning and afternoon sits with my bow. 3C.
I can’t wait to see what’s in store without restraint!

In 3d I don’t think I’ve heard 100 shots all through rifle season for a couple years. Then I wasn’t out until antlerless last year.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
We're at a major crossroads with deer management Joe.The number of hunters is continuously declining and those who do hunt,really don't put as much time into it as they used to.We're very close to the point where hunters will not be able to control the deer population on a state wide level.

Deer hunting is just different today.There's more food for the deer that are out there(northern tier) so they don't have to be on their feet searching.That can give you some slow days during archery season.There's also little pressure during rifle season so deer aren't on their feet.They've evolved with less pressure so that they're far more likely to lay still and let a hunter walk on by.The same old tactics from 20 years ago aren't as effective today as they once were.

What hunters see or don't see is the absolute worst way to judge how many are out there.As I've mentioned before,I used to be involved with a controlled hunt.This past year,bowhunters checked in 208 deer on 3500 acres.Think about that for a second.That's a minimum harvest rate of 38 dpsm with bows and guys still complain that there's no deer in there lol.If hunters are killing that many,what do you think the deer density is?
And let’s not forget. Most who are hunting are convinced if they wait long enough a booner will inevitably walk out. So they don’t want to blow their chances by shooting a doe.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
I suspect on our lease in Potter that concurrent buck and doe for two weeks will mean very few hunters the 2nd week when we head up. We don't see many hunters as it is right now in the 2nd week with the split season. The 1st Saturday up there 6-7 years ago had a lot of bodies in the woods and a lot of shooting. Not so much anymore.

The lead biologist who grants me permission on the property I hunt in 5C Berks has already extended the offer to me to hunt again next season without me even asking. He said the deer density numbers are higher than they want and "we look forward to having you back". Sounds good to me. ;) I wasn't really concerned about securing permission but being invited back so soon due to deer numbers might be saying something about the herd.
Hey Nick . . do you hunt Neversink Mountain Preserve or elsewhere? I'd love to be be able to hunt there since it is like 5 minutes away but they tell me only adjacent landowners can hunt it.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Being in a shooting layoff definitely shows up when you finally get to the range and start stretching things out. Had to work out some kinks in my form but good enough to set a new site tape on the new bow. Finished up on a high note… They definitely did not all look like this. View attachment 7394716 View attachment 7394717
Is that Daniel Boone!? If so I may have to look at re-joining there. The targets are a whole lot better now then when I was a member there.

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
15,835 Posts
Being in a shooting layoff definitely shows up when you finally get to the range and start stretching things out. Had to work out some kinks in my form but good enough to set a new site tape on the new bow. Finished up on a high note… They definitely did not all look like this. View attachment 7394716 View attachment 7394717
Good shooting Nick. How are you liking the Ritual?

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,827 ·
Hey Nick . . do you hunt Neversink Mountain Preserve or elsewhere? I'd love to be be able to hunt there since it is like 5 minutes away but they tell me only adjacent landowners can hunt it.
Neversink ..... the one behind the McDonalds and the car wash along 422. The Individual who gives us permission said he gets a lot of requests from guys who want to help there but he turns them all away. There are some landowners up there who I know have permission to hunt in the area around the witches hat but I think the fact that my parents live right on the edge of that property and I grew up there gave me preference points with him even though I don’t live there any longer.

·
Registered
29,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,828 ·
Is that Daniel Boone!? If so I may have to look at re-joining there. The targets are a whole lot better now then when I was a member there.
You are correct Pete......That is Daniel Boone. It is such a bargain to be a member there. $60 to re-join as a new member and $10 fee for your electronic gate access card but renewal is only $25 per year. If you do want to re-join, let me know because you will need an active members name to put on your application to vouch for you. So much cheaper than any other club in my local area of Chester and Montgomery counties. If I wanted to join lower Providence, it would be $360 for the first year. Granted over the course of full year it’s not even a dollar per day but I have heard how busy their range gets if you were shooting a gun and sometimes having to wait in line.

No requirement for work detail at DB although they will always take help from any volunteers who want to pitch in. For an additional $40 per year, you can get access to shoot indoor archery in the clubhouse.

·
Registered
29,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,829 ·
Good shooting Nick. How are you liking the Ritual?
if you saw some of my other groups, you might say otherwise. :sick: Shooting out to 70 yards is way different than the 13 yards I can shoot in my basement.

I am liking it a lot but for whatever reason I have a tendency with it to pull off to the left with my shots a little bit. I think part of it is that my bow shoulder is still bouncing back from when I dinged it up earlier this year … Not yet at 100% stability but getting there.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
You are correct Pete......That is Daniel Boone. It is such a bargain to be a member there. $60 to re-join as a new member and $10 fee for your electronic gate access card but renewal is only $25 per year. If you do want to re-join, let me know because you will need an active members name to put on your application to vouch for you. So much cheaper than any other club in my local area of Chester and Montgomery counties. If I wanted to join lower Providence, it would be $360 for the first year. Granted over the course of full year it’s not even a dollar per day but I have heard how busy their range gets if you were shooting a gun and sometimes having to wait in line.

No requirement for work detail at DB although they will always take help from any volunteers who want to pitch in. For an additional $40 per year, you can get access to shoot indoor archery in the clubhouse.
Thanks Nick. I think I will. I keep my membership at South End and just take my portable target over there and shoot in the evening. I’m not even sure the club as a whole is okay with it but I am a member and not hurting anything. Still having a regular range would be good again. Especially since I have a bit of renewed interest in some shoots. I was probably a member there into the early 2000s when I joined at Reading and got neck deep in running the club there. Even became President.

I used to use the gun range at Boone. It was decent though short. I’m a member at University Rifle Club and can shoot everything up to 50 BMG if I desire there. So not really worried about the gun range. I always liked shooting the shaded practice lanes at Boone.

Maybe I can meet you there sometime and fill out an application.

Reactions: nicko

·
Registered
29,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,831 ·
Thanks Nick. I think I will. I keep my membership at South End and just take my portable target over there and shoot in the evening. I’m not even sure the club as a whole is okay with it but I am a member and not hurting anything. Still having a regular range would be good again. Especially since I have a bit of renewed interest in some shoots. I was probably a member there into the early 2000s when I joined at Reading and got neck deep in running the club there. Even became President.

I used to use the gun range at Boone. It was decent though short. I’m a member at University Rifle Club and can shoot everything up to 50 BMG if I desire there. So not really worried about the gun range. I always liked shooting the shaded practice lanes at Boone.

Maybe I can meet you there sometime and fill out an application.

Last couple times I've been there the boxes with application forms was empty. However, I did find this on their Facebook page so if you can print out a copy it should suffice.

My grandpop was a member at the south end gun club back when they still had the live pigeon shoots. I remember going there as a kid after the shoot took place and seeing pits full of dead pigeons. Different times for sure.
8F4FEF4B-B982-4A86-A3FA-75F935BB9D8F.png

·
Registered
427 Posts
Was sighting in my new sight, and saw that the serving on the factory reckoning strings was starting to come apart. So I went ahead and ordered a new set of Catfish strings and cables in the VEC99 material

They showed up Friday and I got them put on yesterday. Got a chance to shoot a bit today and here was my first 50 yard group. Not too bad other than low.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Last couple times I've been there the boxes with application forms was empty. However, I did find this on their Facebook page so if you can print out a copy it should suffice.

My grandpop was a member at the south end gun club back when they still had the live pigeon shoots. I remember going there as a kid after the shoot took place and seeing pits full of dead pigeons. Different times for sure. View attachment 7394830
I'll print this out and ping you privately about membership. Regarding South End, I was a pretty serious trapshooter for a few years and shot there regularly. It's an old club with some great history. If I'm shooting trap, I'd rather go there. Daniel Boone ranges aren't bad but there are a few too many people knocking back a 6-pack before they go shoot. At least, that is the way it used to be. I haven't shot trap there in a longgggg time.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I spent the weekend at a buddy's came in western PA. I took a rifle for Saturday and my bow for Sunday. Somehow I left my arrows at the house and had to use his. We're the same draw length but he shoots a different spine and weight. Went to Sligo and shot their course. It's a nice course and I would recommend it to anyone in the area but go early because it fills up fast.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
We shoot at Sligo a few times each summer.It's a nice shoot but once it get's hot,the deer flies will eat you alive there.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,321 Posts
haven’t mowed yet but it’s coming soon for sure… Have done a little bit of weed whacking and weed cleanup however.

Any pics of your homemade calls that you can post up?
Mowed 3 times so far, it's been growing like a weed.

Made a box call in February, was more or less just tinkering about, but sounds pretty good.
Been making mouth calls for several weeks now and given a bunch away. An art form within itself, where a small change to the cut, tensions and reed thickness's used can significantly alter the sound...been fun testing different combinations out though.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Mowed 3 times so far, it's been growing like a weed.

Made a box call in February, was more or less just tinkering about, but sounds pretty good.
Been making mouth calls for several weeks now and given a bunch away. An art form within itself, where a small change to the cut, tensions and reed thickness's used can significantly alter the sound...been fun testing different combinations out though.

Nice! How do the friends feel when you test it then hand it to them? :ROFLMAO:

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,321 Posts
They have asked me why they taste like clorox?! ;) :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: vonfoust
4821 - 4840 of 5132 Posts