Archery Talk Forum banner

1941 - 1951 of 1951 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
No kidding when I looked at the weather this morning it said 0 percent chance of rain most of the day and it rained more than it didn't today

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,984 Posts
Same...snow was suppose to be out by 6...with no precip the rest of the day...it only stopped for an hour or two between 9:45-11

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought my Son a Marlin 336 in a .35 Remington. Same gun my grandfather used to take for a walk.
I hunt with a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 30-.06
I'm hoping to kill a doe with my .303 British with iron sights
I also have a Savage Model 99 in .25-3000 dated to 1921. The bore is completely shot out and I've had two gunsmiths look at it and it is basically a wall hanger. Beautiful gun
I also own Marlin 336 in a 35 Remington it was my 14 YO birthday present. Still have it. I hunt with a 700 BDL IN 30.06. Now I'm 65.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
One of the most miserable days I can remember in a stand. Constant wind out of the north, rain, sleet and fog for all but an hour. With the forecast supposedly clear after six, I decided to hike into a saddle that has been good to me over the years. 1.1 mile with 2/3 over steep hillside, I was able to muster the conditions until about 3:30 and if I hadn’t climbed down when I did I would still be there probably. Got home around 5, daughter arrived home from work around 5:30. Just in time to watch a 4 and nice mid teens 8 following a doe around the front yard, back yard and damn near on our deck until dark. I have a blind low on the hill I will have her in bright and early tomorrow! Hoping the forecast is a bit more accurate for the morning!

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,089 Posts
I swear I should have gone to college and become a meteorologist turned weatherman....only efing profession in the world were you can make high 6 figures and be accurate less than 50% of the time ....

Got a wet ass all day..
I hear that! Your morning didn't sound all bad though. There's also some pretty inaccurate backup QB's in the NFL making a pretty penny, ;).
I was going to sit a funnel this morning for the first time this season but when I heard how hard it was raining...I rescheduled for Monday. It did stop raining for maybe 45 minutes...and then started again, lasting all day.

Fall turkey starts tomorrow. While I haven't actually seen them where I hunted I have seen some sign and heard a few distantly...can't hurt to do a little calling as I deer hunt.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,984 Posts
I always carry diaphragm calls I the fall and when I’m walking and it’s noisy, I just belt out some clicks and purrs....works great ...at least it has for me...I’ve gotten settled in a stand and had deer come by moments later...they had to be close enough to hear me, but didn’t spook....

Just one of my hair brained theories

·
Registered
37,025 Posts
Tomorrow looks good. Should be a good day. Stayed home in the rain today. Now I see Monday they are calling for very high winds! Hate that. Good luck everyone on a full moon Halloween hunt..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice evening to be out. Wish I still had my buck tag. Friend of mine said a 120"+ 8 had a doe pinned against a creek bank a couple hundred yards from me. Could have climbed down and made legit play on him with the damp conditions.

We each had deer around the last half hour but neither of us was able to punch a doe tag tonight. Good luck tomorrow... should be a good one.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,089 Posts
Good luck too everyone,,,Stay safe..lifelines and belts...(y)
Same to you Sir! Have you been out yet or are you still waiting?
Prime conditions tomorrow morning. Maybe somebody here knocks down a Halloween buck.
I'd think somebody round here will have some luck tomorrow. I'm pretty pessimistic that it won't be me but I do like surprises.
I always carry diaphragm calls I the fall and when I’m walking and it’s noisy, I just belt out some clicks and purrs....works great ...at least it has for me...I’ve gotten settled in a stand and had deer come by moments later...they had to be close enough to hear me, but didn’t spook....

Just one of my hair brained theories
Not a hair brained idea at all. I've done the same and have added mimicked scratching to the mix a few times. Not sure how many times I've had deer come in to turkey calls but I'll never forget a stud 10pt that came into turkey calling many years ago, while I was toting a 12 gauge...he just stood there broadside inside 20yds...staring at me like he knew I couldn't do a thing about it. Felt more like taunting.

1941 - 1951 of 1951 Posts