Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2020 King Cobra 70 # . Droped it down to 65# and could not come to full draw. Than down to 60# and still can't full draw. For 18 yrs. shot my Mathews Legacy at 65# . Slacked of on shooting the pass two years and shot just before deer season. Took out my Legacy and couldn't draw 65#. Droped it to 62 1/2 and all is well and hitting the mark. But I can't draw the King Cobra to full draw unless I take a few shot with my Mathews first and can only draw the King Cobra once or twice to full draw. Mathew set 62 1/2# King Cobra 60#. Here's the question. Can I safely drop the King Cobra to 55# and not hurt the bow ? just till I build back-up. Mathews is a single cam and the Cobra is a dual cam.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If dropping down to 55# requires to you loosen the limb bolt more turns than APA recommends, then no, I would not drop to 55#.
If you can drop to 55# and stay within their recommended number of turns to loosen the limb bolts, then sure, turn it down to 55#.

You have to check the user manual to see what the max number of turns is you can loosen the limb bolts. For most manufacturers, the max number number of turns to loosen the limb bolts is 4. Tighten the limb bolts all the way, then back each bolt out 1 turn at a time on each limb till you get to 3.75 turns out on each (I saw 3.75 cuz I dont like going to the limit lol). Measure the draw weight at 3.75 turns out. If not at 55#, then I suggest shooting your other bow for a while till you get the muscles build back up.

The draw cycle on some of the APA bows can be a little tough. The way the cam is shaped allows for the poundage to ramp up really quick.

Sent from my SM-J737VPP using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my first game plan was to build up on the Mathews to 65# or more . But I want to shoot my new bow. It's like holding a piece of candy in front of a kid and tell them they can't have it. I guess I'm paying the price for not practicing. I use to shoot every day til i got lazy. Thanks for the good suggestion and info. Time to up the poundage on the Mathews.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
King cobra is a serious speed bow compared to the Mathews Legacy, the draw cycle is going much intense. You might want to go to an easier drawing bow. Good luck getting down to 55lbs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Instead of dropping down the weight to those levels why not drop draw length by 1” or 1.5” and see if that helps. Sounds like your trying to draw too long!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Instead of dropping down the weight to those levels why not drop draw length by 1” or 1.5” and see if that helps. Sounds like your trying to draw too long!
I'd agree with this - and the DL will be increasing as you back the limb bolts out, so as you decrease your DW in an effort to make things easier, you may be trying to draw even further past the point where you run out of leverage.

Wouldn't be the first time someone reported a KC coming in longer than marked; no problem, just shorten it up to fit you (not what the label says should fit you) and see if things get easier.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'd agree with this - and the DL will be increasing as you back the limb bolts out, so as you decrease your DW in an effort to make things easier, you may be trying to draw even further past the point where you run out of leverage.

Wouldn't be the first time someone reported a KC coming in longer than marked; no problem, just shorten it up to fit you (not what the label says should fit you) and see if things get easier.
mine was too long also, but an aggressive bow.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't have to do a thing to the bow. Shot it today at the club. Just needed to build the mussels back up to par after getting lazy the last couple years. Sweet bow. I love it. Whole lot faster than my mathews legacy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts