Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I hear the rain comments. I hate to complain about it. The gypsy caterpillars stripped my trees pretty bad. They are now all growing new leaves but the ground is soaked and not much need for a whole lot more rain for a couple weeks.

Pouring now

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hung 2 stands today. The list of preparations to make is getting shorter.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Friday got 3 plots in
1 is a red and white clover mix with a dash of chicory and oats.
2nd is all chicory
3rd is a mix of mega plot, green patch plus and red clover that was all left overs from other plots.

Ground was moist when we seeded and it rained hard Friday night and Saturday morning. More rai. In the forecast Tuesday/Wednesday. Should be good to go.

Reactions: nicko

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Not sure what you guys are seeing for acorn crop but there seems to be some solid ones on the property I hunt up in 5C. Good to see because they were almost nonexistent last year.
The white oaks were hammered by the caterpillars up here. The reds weren't hit as hard. I have seen se reds on the ground. I think areas will be very spotty to bare of acorns in the areas hit by the bugs and the reds will have some acorns.

Glad I have 3 acres of food plots to bait them in!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Ny opener on Oct 1

Then PA opener Oct 2.

Have stands setup specifically for early season in PA that have been getting good morning movement. Then food plots in the afternoon/evening.

NY is just a public land spot. Nothing special but it's hunting

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Was shooting Easton FMJs for a couple years. Great arrows but easily damaged. They were about 550gr smashed bone very well. Switched back to carbon Black Eagle Outlaws. Coming in at 414 with a 100gr field point. Magnus Black Hornets. Have no issue with that combo on deer or bear. Just stay off the shoulders of the bear

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Been doing some scouting for acorns and not finding much. Seems like the whites that were dropping early September dried up. Haven't found any reds yet

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Acorn update.
Found a patch of whites dropping like crazy. Setup a stand. Glassed the trees, plenty more hanging also.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Where did you get the seat for the lone wolf?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Congrats on the buck.

I hope I'm still alive and hunting at 74!

Reactions: Scotty C

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Acorns dropping here. Small 7 and a decent 8 came through shortly after 7am. The 8 got the blood pumping. But just didn't want to hang my tag on him. Then 2 does came through.
My nephew is a couple hundred yards away he saw a spike and a bear.

I can see a fresh rub about 60 yards away and the scrape is open at 25.

Beautiful morning to be in the woods

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Add a spike to the list

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Was a great morning. Trail cams are loaded with bucks. 1 I would shoot. Plenty that would make the kids or wife happy. Acorns are pulling them in well.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
It's hot outside. I'm sure deer will move somewhere this afternoon. Going to roll the dice and take the wife to a stand with good deer activity.

It's her birthday. Would love for her to tag a bday buck!

1 - 20 of 246 Posts