Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
I’m in for the year. Still at TAC and shooting Yeti today. I’m hoping to be much better than Friday. It wouldn’t take much.

I was talking to one of the PSE reps and he thinks my EVL will be here a lot sooner than September. I’m also thinking of switching from Gold Tip o Victory when I set up my new bow.

I don’t think manufacturers value these events enough. I’m considering products for my new setup I never would have been if I hadn’t seen them in person here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
Any Trophy Ridge React Pro users out there? Likes? Dislikes? Reliability? I was looking at the react trio pro yesterday and really liking it.

Reactions: Brownie081”

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
Aspade, looks like a blast! Have to try it next year.
MrO- hearing a lot of good things on the EVl’s, which model did you order? The evolve cams are awesome.
I switched to Black Eagle shafts, experimenting with 2 different weights of the same arrow.

The 34”

Reactions: Mathias

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
You hit that white rabbit? Shot the yeti and Sitka on Fri. Was a good time.
We shot Leupold on Friday and Yeti on Sunday. Leupold did NOT go well. It turned out my 40, 50, and 60 yard pins were nowhere close. I spent a great deal of time practicing on Saturday, and the Yeti course on Sunday went much better. I also ditched my glasses and shot with blurry pins but clear targets on Sunday. I had about 3 shots I'd like to have over including the big buck at 45 yards to finish. I had a very disappointing 5 on that one. The hardest thing about Yeti was retrieving arrows. The shooting itself, IMO, was easier than Leupold. The targets on Leupold were virtually almost all like the bobcat (target 3) on Leupold. And there was nothing under 33 yards. There were a couple shots on Yeti that I kept thinking a big windmill was going to swing by and get in the way because they otherwise seemed too easy. Like I said, I'd like 3 shots over. Especially after getting an 8 on the 50 yard crow.

Opening shot of Yeti was at . . well . . the Yeti at 77 yards. And it was a SERIOUS climb up to the Yeti. Not as bad as the hanging fruit bat at 51 yards though. I don't have a picture of that one but it took us a while to even find the target from the cone.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
Those courses sound like a lot of fun… But from the descriptions of these targets, I feel I would need to have to come with at least a dozen arrows.
I can gaurantee no matter how prepared you are you will lose arrows. I lost or broke about 6. The worst place for losing arrows might be the practice range though. It is uphill with long grass and anything that doesn't hit the target gets buried. But it IS well worth it and really fun. I did not get much chance to shoot this year before the event but plan to rectify that next year.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
I shoot a react one, the older model, and really like it. If i could make any change to it i would get the trio because having the two fixed pins at 20-30 makes life easy for hunting. as long as your bow shoots the minimum FPS you will be fine with any react sight you pick.
As of this morning, this became a non-question. I REALLY like the Trio Pro. I'd have ordered one this morning . . . except they don't make it in left-handed. :mad: The guys at the booth said they did. But there isn't a left-handed option on the website and I contacted them to ask and got an e-mail back stating there are no plans for a left-handed version.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
TAC looks like a blast, but I would need to get in shape before tackling those courses. Maybe next year...
Being in shape is always good obviously but the Leupold course was no different to walk than a local 3d. A bit of up and down but if you shoot 3D in PA . . about the same, just a tad longer. (4ish miles). Yeti was a tough walk if you go up to all the targets. Not everyone needs to climb up to them. The whole course is basically an out and back along a road and the targets extend up or down hill on either side. I can't speak for the other courses but it sounds like Sitka was mostly a downhill walk. We are planning on shooting all 5 courses next year.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
My group is looking at renting a cabin and shooting all the courses next year. I consider myself in pretty good physical shape and the nock on and Sitka courses were both pretty tiresome especially in the heat.

I’d also recommend to really make sure your gear is shooting good because the shots go out to at least 120 yards, and that was only the nock on and Sitka. I know the prime is supposed to be farther.

And for anyone intimidated by the distances or fearing their equipment is inadequate . . remember. It ISN'T a competition. You can move up to where you are comfortable.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
Being that I pretty much only hunt PA anymore and although I don’t post as much anymore I have chatted with a lot of you PA guys in the past.
On Saturday morning my 20 year old son Mitchell tragically lost his life in a house fire.He was at his girlfriends there were 6 people in the house,Him his girlfriend and her brother who has Down syndrome died.The fire investigator called yesterday to tell me that Mitch initially made it out.He re entered to try and save his girlfriend and brother,but was over come with smoke as he entered.my life has been forever changed and I want nothing more than to have my boy back,but now knowing he sacrificed his own life to try and save others makes the pain bearable.I am so proud you Big guy! View attachment 7416768
Wow. I can't even imagine what you are going through and am truly sorry for your loss. While I am not normally a prayerful person, I will send one out for you and your family. I've always thought that prayers from bowhunters carried a little extra weight. Again, I am really sorry to hear this.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
Did you enjoy the yeti course? Dad and I shot leupold and there were some real tricky shots! Had a blast though
We did. Walking to/from the targets was more difficult than the shooting. The Leupold course was trickier shots overall. Like the 60 yard turkey!

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
If I do nothing else ins 2022 I will buy a NJ spring turkey permit.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
2021-22 License purchased. Ready to rock and roll.

Reactions: davydtune

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
License costs may be going up here and there but compared to most other states, PA remains a veritable bargain for hunting.

Reactions: huntin_addict

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
That could have been bad.I know grapes are toxic to dogs so I imagine the dried ones could be just as bad.I had a well meaning but uninformed neighbor dump a huge load of apples in my horse pasture several years ago.Luckily,I had the horses gated off in another one.
Not a horse person here. Are apples bad for horses? Regardless, I wouldn’t presume to give someone else’s animals food without asking.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
For Father’s Day, I decided to treat myself to about eight bee stings… Went to the rod and gun club and got the bow dialed in really well at 50 yards shooting nice tight groups. I Should’ve quit there but decided to go to the elevated platform and fling a few from there. Stepped off the last step and onto the top landing and the bees came after me. Felt at least one or two stings on the leg and they were swarming around me. I’m sure I look like a spazz dancing around swatting and flailing but I scrambled down the steps to get free of their swarming and dropped one of my arrows on the top platform in the process. Collected my marbles and saw the nest was being built on the underside of the very top step. Decided foolishly I’m going back for my arrow (we are talking $15 here). Ran up there not remembering exactly what part of platform it was on spun around a couple times, saw the arrow, and the bees were all over me again. Got away with about eight stings at least… One on the back of the head, one on the thumb, one on the back of the arm, and everything else below the knees. But I retrieved my arrow. :)

Pete, not sure if your membership has gone through at Daniel Boone yet but if you do go, don’t go up and shoot on that platform unless you know the nest has been taken care of. I sent a message to the gun club on their Facebook page so they’re aware of it.

I am fortunate to have no allergies so aside from some itchy stings and minor swelling, I’m perfectly fine. But somebody who is allergic may not be so lucky.

I know the saying “with age comes wisdom” but I must’ve been absent from class that day. If you’re gonna be stupid, you better be tough.

I’m typically good for one archery/hunting related bonehead move per year. I’m hoping I’ve gotten it out of the way.
Still waiting for my membership but . . good to know.
And admit it. For at least a few seconds you considered launching a flaming arrow into the nest. Right?

Funny story. Years ago at an archery club I used to be a member of, there was a giant wasp nest in one of the field targets. I showed up one day and all the older guys said "Pete can run fast. Let's get him to do it". I looked around and said "Do what?" It seems the master plan was to pour gasoline or some such chemical over the hornet nest while it was still cool in the morning and run away. Okay. I'm game. I'm not really afraid of bees. So I take the coffee can full of gas and head out only to find an entourage of old men following me. I said "I thought you guys were afraid of the bees?" Clearly they wanted to watch the show. So I poured the gas over the target and . . . absolutely nothing happened. Regardless, I dropped the can and started waving and slapping violently and yelled "Sonuvabitch!" I turned to watch and those old men would have been Usain Bolt in the first 50 yard. Back at the club house I said "I thought you guys ran too slow?"

Reactions: nicko

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
My current entertainment is watching the buzz on a local social page with the hand wringing and worry about a small bear that has been coming into yards in the Boyertown area. I had to check the pics a couple times to make sure it didn't say Godzilla was visiting. And I'm not sure why the local authorities recommend calling 911. I wonder what these people would do if they knew how many much bigger bears were in the area? Maybe not the numbers that are in the Poconos . . but they are there.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
My license arrived via USPS a few days ago. That said, New Jersey uses Active whom I use to register for a lot of running and triathlon events. Always better service from them.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
I didn’t know you fell Joe. What did you walk away with? How did it happen if you don’t mind me asking?
As I get older, I am much more conscious when I am climbing into a lock-on. Ladders and climbers don’t bother me much…. but lock-On’s are a different story. I hang quite a few stands (lock-on’s) solo each year and each year I feel slightly more conservative….not in a rush like I was in my 20’s and 30’s.
These days I equip every single one of my lock-ons/permanent stands with a ground-up safety line. I buy 200' spools of line from Lowe's and make them myself. Having fallen once (thankfully with a harness) I have no desire to ever not be connected.

1 - 20 of 453 Posts