Archery Talk Forum banner
4521 - 4540 of 4747 Posts

·
Pay It Forward
25,789 Posts
Lot of dislike here for guys with stickers on their vehicles. Who cares? I do have some on my truck, including archery, saddle, HD and Pittsburgh Pirates. If we need to go into town, we take my wife's vehicle.

The bed of my truck looks like a rolling crime scene.
Exactly the fuel the antis around here use to harass and not necessarily the hunters as much as the private landowners who allow hunters permission. I can’t tell you the amount of acreage that I’ve seen closed in Delaware county specifically in places like Westchester, Garnet Valley, Thorndale, etc… because of trucks parked along the roads, at ends of cul-de-sacs, or in driveways, that sound exactly like your truck.

To each their own and I’m certainly not calling you out specifically, but those choices certainly impact others

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Again,while I'm not into advertising my pride as a hunter with decals and casual camo,I'm just as uninterested in appeasing the irrational thoughts and fears of misguided suburbanites.When I went to PSU most of my roommates hunted and our diet always consisted of venison.We moved into a brand new apartment building and hung a deer outside to skin and quarter before bringing inside to butcher.As we were butchering it,our new landlord showed up and threatened to kick us out.It wasn't in the lease that we couldn't cut up deer or hang them outside so we never stopped doing it.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Again,while I'm not into advertising my pride as a hunter with decals and casual camo,I'm just as uninterested in appeasing the irrational thoughts and fears of misguided suburbanites.
I don't look at it as appeasing anybody.

I pretty treat it like carrying concealed versus open carry. No need to draw any extra attention to myself, especially any of it that may be of a negative or potentially harmful variety.

That's all.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
31,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,525 ·
Not sure if PSU still has it but I remember for a while there was an entire fraternity that was made up of hunters. I recall an article in Field & Stream years ago and they talked about how a lot of past graduates came back and stayed in the house for bear season. Was never a fraternity guy at college but that would be my type.

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
We'll have to differentiate between loud cars lol.A old loud muscle car still sounds good to me.A weed wacker muffler on a dodge neon tells me that you obviously pee sitting down.
I see the kids running around Reading with their Honda Accords with pea shooter mufflers and wish I still had our old 70 something Skylark.

Reactions: dougell

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Reading on a PA Hunting FB page that guys are just finding out now ammo is in short supply. Maybe the gun kill totals will be down this year.

I use FB for following PA hunting, PA flintlock hunting, and BGE and Weber Smokey Mountain smokers. Not interested in seeing that somebody has checked in somewhere for lunch or a pic of their feet in front of a sunset.
They all seemed surprised by it last year too. You’d think they’d have caught on.

Reactions: vonfoust

·
Registered
31,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,528 ·
I see the kids running around Reading with their Honda Accords with pea shooter mufflers and wish I still had our old 70 something Skylark.
When I delivered pizza in Reading in the late 80s-early 90s during college years, the car of choice I saw the most for customizing was the Toyota Corolla.

·
<<<Aim Small Miss Small
5,185 Posts
Exactly the fuel the antis around here use to harass and not necessarily the hunters as much as the private landowners who allow hunters permission. I can’t tell you the amount of acreage that I’ve seen closed in Delaware county specifically in places like Westchester, Garnet Valley, Thorndale, etc… because of trucks parked along the roads, at ends of cul-de-sacs, or in driveways, that sound exactly like your truck.

To each their own and I’m certainly not calling you out specifically, but those choices certainly impact others
Sorry man but I completely disagree. No different than the save the planet stickers. I am proud to be a hunter, and a professional and educated one as well, and I'm not going to hide it.

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
😳😳😳

There's your "Pull Ol' Bessy out of the closet each year, dust 'er off, grab the same box of ammo I've been using for the last seven years, fire one shot to check the scope, another just to confirm it, and go shoot my scrub buck so I can brag at work tomorrow" kind of guy.

I hate to stereotype, because I've shot plenty of deer with a slug gun and a rifle, and some firearms hunters are as top-notch as it gets, but anybody that is just now catching on to the ammo shortage isn't in that category.
Honestly Im good with all that. I shoot year round but given that most deer are shot in pretty close quarters, most guys can get the job done and a scrub buck is, frankly, just as good as a giant trophy. As long asthe hunter is safe and has a fun time.

Reactions: Pyme

·
Pay It Forward
25,789 Posts
Sorry man but I completely disagree. No different than the save the planet stickers. I am proud to be a hunter, and a professional and educated one as well, and I'm not going to hide it.
Guess you’re missing the point, but that’s ok…hope you and you your family have a great Thanksgiving!

·
<<<Aim Small Miss Small
5,185 Posts

So the next time you see a bunch of mini vans with soccer balls parked in the cult de sacs, go bang on some doors and harass them about all the noise, litter and broke windows from errant sports equipment

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
I more or less keep all my activities to myself. No hunting or fishing stickers despite a lifetime of hunting and fishing. I’ve completed Ironman triathlons and many marathons but don’t have any of those logos or stickers either. I don’t feel the need to brag or advertise. Less shared information is better IMO.

·
<<<Aim Small Miss Small
5,185 Posts
Guess you’re missing the point, but that’s ok…hope you and you your family have a great Thanksgiving!
Not missing any point, and I firmly believe in positive interactions with the neutral to hunting public. However, don't be ashamed either. That is EXACTLY what the small group of antis want, to actually make you feel ashamed that you are a hunter.

Thanks, you and your family as well.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Not missing any point, ....

That is EXACTLY what the small group of antis want, to actually make you feel ashamed that you are a hunter.
You are missing the point if you think I don't have decals on my truck because I'm ashamed in any sort of way, whatsoever.

·
Registered
31,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,536 · (Edited)
I don't worry about tweaking the anti's because they will despise us no matter what we do or how we present ourselves. Hunting to them = evil. However, my personal experience with the non-hunting population (not anti's) is that they are curious and ask a lot of questions when they hear I am a hunter and genuinely appear interested in hearing more about a way of life they have never experienced.

An anti will never be talked off the ledge so I waste no oxygen on them. But unfortunately here in SE PA, sterilized suburbanites are the norm. Those on the fence or who don't have an opinion one way or the other.......I see no reason to provide any fodder to push them in the wrong direction. I have no problem if anybody rides around with dried blood in the bed of their truck......but personally, I'm just too damn anal to not wash that off.

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
Just for the record the quote you posted,, post 4529,,,was not from me, not sure how that happens.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Not sure how guys feel about it here on AT but I enjoy all pics posted, not just the kills but also with the successful hunters. I think this site would be pretty boring if everybody was camera shy.
It would be boring without pics. Getting a deer is an accomplishment especially with a bow. Nothing to brag about but certainly no shame in sharing pictures of your success.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
For anyone that has yet to try a western style quarter and pack out over a long rugged solo drag I can tell you it's much much more manageable in my experience and give it a try if you haven't.

I was in NY for their gun opener this past weekend. I mostly hunt public during gun as it's the one time all year the land owners family and grandkids come in and I like them to have run of the place but also enjoy sharing camp life with them. I had a pretty successful weekend I filled all 3 of my valid gun tags on an 8pt and two mature does. Two of them I packed out 1 and 1.5mi, I really don't see myself doing drags anymore unless am a few hundred yards from the truck or it's an all down hill scenario.

The bad news of the weekend was that the neighbors to the south had the opportunity to take an awesome deer, he was the focus of my entire archery season, I had a single fleeting encounters with him this year after first seeing him last year in the rut, as well as numerous trail cam photos since then and his sheds were found in one of our fields. Really I just feel privileged to have had a deer like that to chase, he grossed 163.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

4521 - 4540 of 4747 Posts