Archery Talk Forum banner
4561 - 4580 of 4747 Posts

·
Pay It Forward
25,789 Posts
No need to keep your mouth closed, to be honest it really is what brings most of us on this thread closer….I Didn’t feel like I needed to explain, I wanted to explain how I’ve arrived at my Perspective on this issue. Primarily so, that maybe it would add a different level of perspective for others. It’s quite clear even though this is a PA thread that we have a rather eclectic group. I can guarantee you up where in Doug’s area a Hoyt or Bowtech decal doesn’t draw the same ire as it does around here.

Perry I also agree that we necessarily shouldn’t let others dictate our behavior however if my ultimate goal is to be able to secure private access I’m not sure it inspires many landowners if I roll up in my truck that’s plastered meateater, bone collector and Prime and Raven decals all over my car, at least in the areas closest to me.

I don’t necessarily think of it as others changing my behavior as much of a lesson learned and I chose to do what I can to not to contribute to that issue in the future. For the record, it hasn’t necessarily helped as I still have basically zero local private access (lol).

Hope everyone enjoys the day, but more importantly those who are important in your lives. I’d also like to thank the core group of guys who contribute to this thread and bring a sense of extended fellowship, the www really does make the world a small place. We should have an AT PA Thread get together….

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
31,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,564 ·
Dammit, stop getting along with each other. This is affecting my creative process.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody. I always like the idea of getting out to hunt on Thanksgiving morning but what always keeps me from doing it is that I could actually drop some thing and then have to deal with it getting it out of the woods and getting to the plans we have for the day on time.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving too All...Stay safe everyone....Good luck too all bow hunters...I'm sorry I"m just not impressed with any gun kills..deer or bear...I came too this site for ARCHERYTALK>..Thats what should be spoken here..
I'm a die hard bow hunter...
If anyone ever want too take the challenge,and come hunt public land PM me...I have stands if you dont....or equipment I can help...A safety belt is a must..or truck doesnt move or bragging is not allowed....We keep that under our hats (y)

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
Well looks like I’m climbing down to go home to get some things ready for company. Uneventful sit deer wise. I did enjoy watching a red squirrel kicking the crap out of the greys that were bout twice his size. Just glad he didn’t decide to climb up here and rip my face off.

·
Pay It Forward
25,789 Posts
Well a couple recent decisions made, I am taking my brother to camp tomorrow for the weekend, was planning on bringing the Ravin, but may bail and go with the .270, I'll have both with me so I can make the decision last minute...looking at feels-like temps around 10 on Sat and same on Sunday with the addition of 1.5" snow between 7AM-2PM. Last I heard others will be rolling in mid-morning on Saturday, hopefully I'll have a tag on one before they all get there (haha). Only staying until Sunday evening, pretty cool to get two days in Potter and not miss a day of work. Not wishing years off my life, but retirement would be nice...

We also agreed to add another 18.5 acre field to our family land trust. It will be added to my parents deed, as it's just easier that way, but will increase our current footprint on the mountain to roughly 170 continuous acres. The farmer wouldn't accept my offer to add an additional 36 acres as he had already given his word to an Amish family from NY that if he was going to sell, he would reach out to them first. Although disappointed, as Laurie and I had been squirreling away funds specifically for this purpose, it was a great and somewhat inspiring conversation. Admiring a man sticking to "his word" as he pointed out, up here that's all we have. Learning how the Amish loan system works was fascinating in itself. The Bishop made the decision that no community monies will be lent for the rest of the year and perhaps not even through the first quarter of 2022. This is primarily because the family from NY is actually interested in the same 36 acre parcel that we had our eyes on, as well as the adjoining homestead parcel, which is a little more than 40 acres with home, and two barns included. The price per acre that that offered, may not be lent in the until mid-2nd quarter of 2022. The farmer did say that if things fell through, Laurie and I will be the first call that he makes, so who knows?

It is kind of sad to see the farm that has been there for as long as I can remember slowly dissintegrate, I am just thankful, we're getting pieces with the hopes of leaving it just the way it is and not adding homes to it....

Good luck to all those hunting this weekend, especially SUNDAY (haha)...check your regs, some will be chasing buck, doe, and bear all at the same time!

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to all! I spent a very deerless morning in a NJ stand. I did see a beautiful sunrise and apparently 2 male adult bald eagles battling it out to win the nearby lady's heart.

Reactions: Mathias

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Last I heard others will be rolling in mid-morning on Saturday, hopefully I'll have a tag on one before they all get there (haha).
Don't shoot one too early. Wait until there's somebody else there to drag it for you. 😎

Good luck to all those hunting this weekend, especially SUNDAY (haha)...
Hey! You can't hunt on Sunday in PA!

Oh... wait..... 😉

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Plant community Plant Natural landscape Wood Tree

I agree with you fellas, nothing better than buying your own and shaping it into what you want.

I'm up to about around 100 trees planted apple, pear, Chinese Dunstan and American chestnut, sawtooth oak and Chinkapins. A few have died but not many. 3 food plots, 1 deer shanty, a water hole, and more to come.

I caught the attention of the next door neighbor. He's now working with me to plant plots. I have a surprise coming for him. About 30 chestnut seedlings to plant in his cut and more seedlings for my place. Working on this land is a full time hobby for me. Seeing the fruits of the labor is awesome!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving all! The new truck is packed(minus any stickers) and ready to head up to camp in 2G! Looking forward to this trip, been hunting Md with the bow, no luck! need some potter county Mountain View’s! Goodluck to those who are trying to fill a tag.

·
Registered
20,010 Posts
CBB~ truth be told, I enjoy my management practices as much as my hunts. As I’ve said before, I have been shooting myself in the foot at times, as I elect to sit over a plot where I have a great panoramic view of my work, but not much deer activity at certain times of the season.
Good luck with the Dunstans, I did not.
My oaks however are doing well, heck may even see acorns while I’m still topside.
Plant Cloud Sky Natural landscape Tree
Cloud Sky Plant People in nature Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Plant People in nature Natural landscape

Reactions: CBB

·
Pay It Forward
25,789 Posts
A couple of our chestnuts are topping about around 8’ now and may have nuts next year. Those were the Chinese Chestnuts…they seem to grow and produce the fastest..our Dunstans are behind those and the Americans I grew myself from seeds are the furthest behind.

Our apples are really doing well and some should produce those year.

Our plots, we’ll they’re at the mercy of everyone who likes to tinker, but the bottom line is they’re green and the deer love them….impossible to tell what’s in them as so many add a little of this and a little of that….maybe with this new field we can do something meaningful, who knows….already arguing where a tower blind should go….someone thinks smack dab in the middle???

·
Registered
20,010 Posts
My bud was trying to talk me into buying one of the enclosed elevated tower blinds, until I heard the price 😳

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Sky Cloud Tree Rolling Gas

I'm not about to pay 4000 for a ******* blind but these caught my attention. Archery shop has them for 750$ steel base and millennium blind. Setup the blind in August or September, take the blind down after season and store. Leave the base up. Doesn't seem too bad to me but plan on looking up some reviews on them..

Side note one of my Dunstans had burrs on it this year all were empty but one. I did salvage that nut to plant this spring.

The Chinese seem to grow twice as fast as the Dunstan. All of my Dunstan came from wally world on end of year clearance. Got all except 3 of them for 10$ per tree. 3 I paid full price for.

I did buy some sawtooth from mossy oak native nursery. Rest all came from seed as did all the Chinese and American.

The pears I planted are the Deer Pear. One of the 3 had pears this year. That was impressive as it was the 2nd year in the ground.

·
Pay It Forward
25,789 Posts
My brother bought three Mavericks…building platforms didn’t have to happen the way our engineering team did it or cost what they paid…a lot of that was dictated by the CRAZY current market.

I don’t like them, but those who have used them seem to think they’re sweet….one will have a heater buddy in it next week

The one below is 10’ up, another is 5’ up and one is still in the garage.

4561 - 4580 of 4747 Posts