Archery Talk Forum banner
4741 - 4760 of 7077 Posts

·
Feedn The Geese
12,597 Posts
Had a 50lb doe come past, button buck in tow grunting. I think our grunt volumes are too loud.

Heard a shot, she came back minus him.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had my grandson in the tree yesterday and he should have gotten his buck - we had a real good morning. Early, we had a nice 6 or 8 and a doe fly through the bottom near the creek, but I couldn't get him maneuvered in the tree to even get the gun up by the time he was through my cut. At about 8:30, a guy drove along the tram road on the opposite ridge putting a whole lot of deer down over the hill and right to us. Three buck were in that group and they ended up right behind our tree stand at 10 yards. To be fair, I couldn't ascertain which direction they were going to go: up over the hill to our right or stay along the side of the hill to our left. Well, they came up to our left and stood briefly broadside, but he was afraid to move too quick and spook them (they had no idea we were even there). Needless to say, they moved up into a thick area that we had no shot into. One did move to the right just enough for him to get a shot at but he missed. I think he did the golf shot thing where you shoot and immediately look to see where the ball went! I'm fighting two things with him right now concerning his hunting. One is that he falls asleep in the stand once we get there and I always have to wake him which then disorients him to get set up. The 2nd is that he never gets the gun up and his eye to the scope when he sees a deer. If he would have gotten the gun up to his eye immediately when I said they were coming up, he would have been ready and only had to make a small adjustment to shoot yesterday. As it is, the gun is down on the rail and not even up to his shoulder - it is still resting on his leg. I even put a skirt around the tree stand to mitigate movement, but that concept has seem to bypass him as well. We are gonna be working on a few things a little bit this afternoon as we are not out in the woods today. My wife made plans for last night and we didn't get home till 11 so there was no hope of getting him up this morning at 4 to tromp back out into the woods.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I took a walk around the laurel put 2 doe past my nephew and 2 different deer past my daughter but they were running and far from her.

My boy saw a buck but couldn't get a shot and started tracking it. He covered some turf and caught up to the buck. He was breathing so heavy I guess he fogged his scope and the buck took off.

Dad's our of cell service so no idea what he's seeing

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
1000 acre deer camp that borders the public I hunt has been a slaughter house the last 2 days. It's been below average 3-5 bucks a year the last 5 years or so. It's at 10 dead so far. 3 of them dandies. I knew with this weather they'd be stacking them this year. I'm not up there till tomorrow with work, but fortunately none of the targets I had on the public were killed on the private. And my dad said he's heard almost no shots come from the public I've been hitting.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
In 3A hunting where I grew up. Yesterday was by far the quietest opening day I can remember when it comes to shooting. It usually sounds like a war the first hour, but not this year. My 12 year old nephew shot a button buck, my dad, my 10 year old nephew and my uncle's friend all missed bucks yesterday. This morning I missed a doe at 135 yards and same uncle's friend missed another buck. We are relaxing until 1pm and then heading back out for the remainder of the day.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Figured I’d ask here first, is anyone looking to purchase a lone wolf assault II and 4 lone wolf sticks? Sticks have stealth strips and all sticks have double steps on top. Stand also has stealth strips, paracord wrapped, lumbar pad and shoulder straps and hunt comfort seat, Looking to sell face to face so I don’t have to try and ship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
1000 acre deer camp that borders the public I hunt has been a slaughter house the last 2 days. It's been below average 3-5 bucks a year the last 5 years or so. It's at 10 dead so far. 3 of them dandies. I knew with this weather they'd be stacking them this year. I'm not up there till tomorrow with work, but fortunately none of the targets I had on the public were killed on the private. And my dad said he's heard almost no shots come from the public I've been hitting.
BM I see more deer on public then I ever seen private in PA..Maybe more then most see on private here..Know one wants too hike in deep...

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
31,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,755 ·
So my buddy ended up wiffing on his shot this morning… I’m pretty sure the hair that he found and was using as a clue to a hit was raccoon hair.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Sitting over a clearcut with the 243 and the 357. Doubt I will get to use the 357 here but can't kill one with the pistol if I leave it at home. Standing corn 300 yards above me. Should at least see a deer......

·
Perry Hunter
2,593 Posts
Sitting over a clearcut with the 243 and the 357. Doubt I will get to use the 357 here but can't kill one with the pistol if I leave it at home. Standing corn 300 yards above me. Should at least see a deer......
Good luck Cbb….what grains and bullets you using in 243? Curious, I bought one a few years back for my daughter (Howa) and she hadn’t taken much to it and so I used it a few times and killed 2 so far (2 for 2)…. Nice gun, just not my first pick with all guns I have. Don’t rifle hunt a lot, but the gun is really nice and light. Use it as a predator gun actually and it’s been pretty deadly.

4741 - 4760 of 7077 Posts