Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 504 Posts

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
26,794 Posts
Question: I got my 2020 NJ buck back from the taxidermist yesterday and need to get it hung up today. (Pics when done). Anyway, where I want to hang it is between studs. All my other heads are hung on nails on studs. Will a big picture hanger in drywall be strong enough? It doesn't really seem any heavier than a framed picture. Just curious what you guys do?

Holds up to 65# I use them on most of mine. Work great. Goes onto a screw gun and run in like your putting a screw in. They thread themselves into the drywall. Then put the screw into the anchor and your set

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
You’ll have a blast….where are you going? Have had mine out each year the past three….I will tell you it can be a bit scary if you’re not with personal friends/family. I went as a guide for the DCFS youth hunt and there were A LOT of both kids and adults who had ZERO experience hunting over a dog. Last year we held classes at the club all four Sundays in September leading up to the special hunt….it was MUCH better for everyone, including the dogs.

I’ve decided not to do it that way this year, but I might be in the parking lot at Marsh on Saturday looking for a taker or two.
I’m taking my wife’s uncles son and his buddies out for the 1st time. I think linfield gamelands. My pointer has been at training for last few months so he’s now steady to shot and supposedly retrieving well. Last trainer shocked him and he wouldn’t retrieve. He’s my 1st hunting dog and at 10 months has 54 birds under his belt. I’m addicted to bird hunting. Don’t even care to shoot just love watching the dog. If anyone wants to get their kid out pm me I’m willing to go and take the dog!!!

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
^^^ speaking of if anyone in SE Pa needs firewood let me know we got some at my moms place. Black walnut most cut into sections but pretty large base that needs cut up. Can pull right up to it

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
Run up to Courtney archery in Quakertown probably save u some more headaches. When I shot I shot all bowtech and I too shot great with FPs but any fixed head forget it. Sometimes I thought it was the cam style where it starts with so much force that fixed heads just couldn’t take the initial force. I shot mechs and it was fine

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
^^^^ agreed I’ve killed many deer with arrows weighing 380 gr total weight!!! Too many focus on heavy arrows. Remember carbon arrows were invented to be faster and lighter then aluminum

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
Doug been there myself. I tore my acl completely my mcl halfway and my pcl halfway racing dirt bikes. Countless foot peg punctures broken fingers. It’s a rough sport and sadly he will really feel it later in life!!! But man they are fun while it lasts. He ever come down to the Pagoda?

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
My son got 4 offers for baseball from colleges before searching but is going into nursing so he had to choose 1 or the other. He chose nursing. Broke my heart as he was very good. He won states and regionals. Had over 24 home runs one season. As a junior had offers from D2 schools but everyone said he’s D1 but when he heard 1 or other he didn’t talk to any other schools after that. Has he visited with the coaches at colleges? Don’t get tangled up in the school ball and or showcases like PBR . Facts are u need to know people who have connections

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
Doug your right numbers at those events are blown way out of proportion. Jakes stats as a 15 year old we’re 82 mph from outfield and a exit velo of 86 mph. He’s now 18 and much stronger. Now that was on a gun by his cousin who plays pro ball. Now guys he destroyed go to PBR and they’re hitting 105 and throwing 95mph we just sit back and laugh. Their exit velo is pitched where it’s suppose to be measure off a tee. Just tell him have fun and let fly it’ll happen. Go to camps at the colleges and let the actual coaches see him. One thing Jakes cousin told us was u pay for all these events for college coaches to see them yet if he dosent want to go to the colleges that are there what’s the point of doing it?? Makes complete sense. First thing he should do is pick colleges he’s interested in then look at the camps they provide at their facility. Best of luck and keep him off that bike lol

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
Me and Jake went out tonight despite heat. Opening day we have a tradition to always hunt together at our one spot. I’m 40 yds from him and never carry just go and watch. 615 we had 4 bucks come by him at about 15 yds. Perfect shot and 1 happy kid and dad

Attachments

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
Thanks Matt. He is Limerick but my buddies uncles property not my moms. His property seems to have a few on it. My moms issue now is guy across the street let mennonites hunt and they shot the **** out of them. Thanks all hes 18 now and I still love watching him

1 - 20 of 504 Posts