Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
What is the best/most cost effective place to by 1-2' tall Norway Spruce and White Pine seedlings to plant on a ridge on my property? I recall getting a habitat flyer in the mail with really low prices on a lot of tree seedlings. Don't remember exactly who it was at that point.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
The game commission does it cheap but the orders are closed for 2021. Something to think of next season

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
Ok, thanks guys. I could add at least 1/2 acre of solid bedding on one narrow ridge if I planted some evergreens and let it grow up with goldenrod and blackberries between trees.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Is it wide open? Id plant grasses if it is, not trees, be different than the neighbor

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
I have no interest in killing one on a drive, a deer either. Almost every year in archery season I have a shot at one... It's always when they're not in season. Always said if they offered a concurrent archery tag I'd buy it and I have every year since. One day the stars will align.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
Open access private near my house that have my stands set from spring leased and posted over the weekend. Called, going to get my stands this morning.

Main reason it was leased, the landowner heard you can get six doe tags. Wanted to say it's actually unlimited but good luck getting 2 let alone 6 in 4D.

Oh well, moving on

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
I'd hate to get shut out of such a convenient place for me to hunt.It's not the first time this has happened.
Its the game you play for sure when you dont lock it up with money. The dues this place wants is up there with going to the midwest for a week. The property is not anything id willingly pick to pay that kind of money on but they had every spot filled before the posters went up apparently. Ive scouted every inch of it in the last five years, they can keep it, the deer are few and far between, it was a convenience as you stated but you know where I live, theres plenty of public.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
I think I have 12 points in the regular season. I gave up applying bull only. I'll just kill whatever and move on to the next adventure, I really don't care at this point. I'd rather draw at 40 than 70

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
Majority of deer I am seeing feeding on forbes in the evenings. Theyre not even going to wide open soybean fields, theyre eating flowers and everything else. Most of them im seeing in weeds/forbes head high and brief glimpses.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
BTW too, I sent my muddy cam back last year as I was having major issues with verizon and others were as well with the cam showing full service. I dont know if its a cam problem or a verizon problem but the same cams in ATT were working as expected

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
How’s the mast crops in your areas? Down in 5C/5D I have seen some beech,loaded with nuts. I did see a nice white oak with some acorns also. Love to hear some reports from the Potter county area.
I'm not in potter but lately the springs in the north have had late snow almost every year. Gypsie moths were bad this year too, if oaks weren't sprayed they were stripped clean. The reds faired better than the whites. Apple trees surprisingly look good most places but as you know they're mostly done before season.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
Looks like I may have to use my Harry Potter invisible cloak most of the season.
Im surprised the state doesnt let baiting happen on DMAP. Isnt the entire point of DMAP to reduce population, especially with CWD in the picture. Hell you can have unlimited doe tags as long as its not more than six at once yet we worry about a pile of corn on a dmap property.

I know more than one person whos gotten tickets for baiting. It never changed how they operate. One guy had apples below his stand in rifle season, deputy walked in opening day...get down. Hes like "why whats wrong"....uh the apples... dont see any apple trees bud, especially not in december.

We punish others by association, rampant in society

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
I saw 6 yesterday morning and 11 in the evening. All but a spike were 100 yards and I walked up on him at 10am scouting back to the truck... public

Grabbed ahold of either a big tree frog or a flying squirrel coming down last night. When it leapt from my hand I almost needed the lifeline to catch me.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
I had time to hunt yesterday but decided to stay on the ground. Went to a spot last year that had excellent buck sign. Food plots looked like TV, on public I might add. Not a hoof print, browsing of it, deer turd nothing. I was way back in too, not by a road. Decided screw that whats the point, left and stopped at another place. Im walking back and hickory nuts are everywhere but I know they arent eating those. Im thinking, this habitat here really sucks too but continue on. I hit the edge of the ridge and a transition to pines and BOOM buck rubs everywhere. There was nothing I could do from the ground, every setup I could see id have been busted so I backed out of there too. Looks to be morning movement coming back to bed. Plan to hang a stand friday and try it saturday morning as well if its not a downpour. If I dont see him friday or saturday ill probably back off it till last week of October.

Tell ya what, what few deer are left in the big woods are really grouped up. Its amazing how much cover holds nothing, I dont even wanna know what the current DPSM is on this public up here, it would prob make me angry.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
I just moved two stands. Even a semi mobile setup is worth just paying the piper and buying an xop or lone wolf. It kicked my ass.

The xop was fine, minus that I forgot my lineman's belt. Harness... No belt. Got it up but didn't get in it.

Moved a hawk with the clip style belt. I fought that belt for fifteen minutes hanging on the side of the tree.

Never again will I buy cheap sticks or stands without versa buttons. I'd rather risk the good stuff being stolen cause moving that stuff is MISERABLE.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,608 Posts
What the hell are these bugs that the best I can describe them.... They look like a nymph from a creek but they fly in nymph form. If I sweat they just flock to me. I've never seen them before. They're about the size of a sulphur nymph, maybe a little smaller. If you were to fish one around a size 16.

They are so annoying. No where near a creek when they're on me.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts