Archery Talk Forum banner

*** 2021-22 THE Pennsylvania Thread ***

295523 9120
I saw the trail cam pic perry24 posted of the buck with some decent antler growth so it seemed like a good time to start a new thread for 2021-22.

In a new segment this year, fullmoon will be hosting a weekly webinar where he talks tips, tricks, and even gives hints as to the general coordinates of his favorite honey holes. 😁
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Hung two more taticams today, got a buck picture within hours of getting them out. We are up to 14 taticams in the family running on 3 properties. No issues to report and they work so well for us not being local to any of our hunting access.

Turkeys are still strutting too! Yes I'm more excited to see this than velvet bucks but it's getting close to me being more interested in the 4 legged critters

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Took my 4yr old fishing for the first time, he caught a few fish which he really enjoyed and then wanted to play/explore which let me get a few casts in. I caught a few fish and hooked back to back 19-20" bass off some old dock pillars and he got to help reel them in.

I liked fishing a lot more than hunting when I was a kid but haven't touched a rod in years so I wouldn't mind if the kids ask to do some more fishing while they're young.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Last time up north, I sprayed my main plot (acre) My clover plot is doing well. I can’t decide what to plant this year, May just go back to clover there too. Oats last year were a total bust.
A quality clover blend is hard to beat, feeds from April to November and is one of the only things that can keep up with heavy browse pressure. When fall planting I like to start with a brassica and mix my clover in, brassicas seem to be a better fall draw and then the clover is established for the next spring and forward.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Once again, trying something new in my main plot up north, about 1 acre.
Winter wheat, winter forage pea and tillage radish, then packed and a clover mix added on top.
My clover plot is doing pretty well, May spray the grasses next trip, we’ll see after I cut it last time up. View attachment 7427381
Sounds like a solid cold weather mix, hopefully you can hold some deer to your place through rifle season.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
We talked about the cicadas boom this summer but is anyone else dealing with a massive amount of gypsy moths???

Those dang caterpillars ate a ridiculous amount of foliage, I assume that really hurts the production of hard mast.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
No Gypsy moths here. Well some, but minimal. Are you sure they are gypsy moths causing the damage? I came home a few weeks back to my dogwood tree branches snapped at 90’s. Called my neighbor, whom is a retired forester, and he said Cicadas. He said they duck the sap and liquid out of trees, then when branches snap, lay their eggs in the “folds” where branch sags. I didn’t believe him, then walked over to tree and looked at them very closely and all of them (every single one), had cicadas in the folds of the snapped branch….sometimes multiple of them. They really hit the oaks hard here, really hard. To s of dead branches and browned leaves.
Learned something new that day for sure!! Cicadas are all gone here for most part. Burrowed back in early last week.
No it's gypsy's for sure, the moths are fluttering everywhere in the hardwoods and the caterpillars are clung to the trees by the thousands (it did seem that most still in that form were dead) it appeared they really honed in on the oaks and most all of them hardly have any leaves.

The silver lining is that the recently select cut timber that thin of foliage had the under growth blow up this summer and if we don't have any acorns it's likely the neighbors won't either and hopefully that works in the favor of our apple trees and food plots.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
A string of winter greens brassicas went in next to the clover this morning, NY fall plots get done next Saturday weather permitting.

Got a txt from my taxidermist this morning and our 2020 deer mounts are done. Left is my NY archery, right is my wife's PA archery and the euro is my PA archery. The two Pa bucks were both shot at the top of that food plot pictured about 3 weeks apart.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Put in another good work day yesterday, planted several micro plots, mowed clover, moved a few cams, and did tree removal work for the land owner on some ash and hickory he wanted down. Everything worked up great but 1 plot that had an area too muddy to turn over the ground.

Got the mount home and hung on the wall

**Pics aren't uploading right now so I'll have to dump a few pics from the weekend later

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
My 3C arrived today.
Have about a dozen bucks hitting my one plot. No shooters….yet.
Was hoping the boys would get to see a bear or two, but trying to keep them somewhat quiet is an impossibility.
View attachment 7437647 View attachment 7437648
I don't have as many bucks as last year at our 3C place but I have a 10pt that's been out all but 1 evening since late June. And last night I finally had another good buck from last year return.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts