Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Had a buck pushing a doe hard this morning but it was before daylight. In the last 45 minutes I had a half rack 2pt go buy and 2- 4pts. There are two really nice 8s roaming the hill but I have yet to lay my eyes on either of them from a treestand.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's actually getting to be more fascinating than frustrating with the wind on this property. The wind was perfect till once again I got here. The steep valley to the right of the mountain I'm hunting causes a nonstop push-pull effect with the top of the mountain. This property is near unhuntable because of it. Probably why there's so many big bucks here because of how easy it is for them to wind you.
View attachment 7500144
Have you ever tried smoking your clothing. I have been washing my hunting clothes, then taking them outside and sitting them by a fire to dry. The combination of smoke and clothes being wet, really embeds the smoke in them. Then I put in plastic bags. I smoke my clothes twice a season. In the last couple years, I may have been winded once! Deer are used to smelling smoke in the fall as people heat there homes and burn brush and leaves. If you have tried it, give'a whirl. I hunt in a'bowl that the wind constantly swirls. Haven't been busted yet, but its'si thick in there, it's difficult to get a clean shot. Dang deer are always on the other side of a brush area no matter which side I hunt, lol.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had my grandson in the tree yesterday and he should have gotten his buck - we had a real good morning. Early, we had a nice 6 or 8 and a doe fly through the bottom near the creek, but I couldn't get him maneuvered in the tree to even get the gun up by the time he was through my cut. At about 8:30, a guy drove along the tram road on the opposite ridge putting a whole lot of deer down over the hill and right to us. Three buck were in that group and they ended up right behind our tree stand at 10 yards. To be fair, I couldn't ascertain which direction they were going to go: up over the hill to our right or stay along the side of the hill to our left. Well, they came up to our left and stood briefly broadside, but he was afraid to move too quick and spook them (they had no idea we were even there). Needless to say, they moved up into a thick area that we had no shot into. One did move to the right just enough for him to get a shot at but he missed. I think he did the golf shot thing where you shoot and immediately look to see where the ball went! I'm fighting two things with him right now concerning his hunting. One is that he falls asleep in the stand once we get there and I always have to wake him which then disorients him to get set up. The 2nd is that he never gets the gun up and his eye to the scope when he sees a deer. If he would have gotten the gun up to his eye immediately when I said they were coming up, he would have been ready and only had to make a small adjustment to shoot yesterday. As it is, the gun is down on the rail and not even up to his shoulder - it is still resting on his leg. I even put a skirt around the tree stand to mitigate movement, but that concept has seem to bypass him as well. We are gonna be working on a few things a little bit this afternoon as we are not out in the woods today. My wife made plans for last night and we didn't get home till 11 so there was no hope of getting him up this morning at 4 to tromp back out into the woods.

·
Registered
418 Posts
A whole new truck, stem to stern. 3.5l twin turbo V-6 followed by a hybrid version down the road. I’m a big fan of Toyota build quality, longevity and resale value.
I’m high on the list locally so I‘m hopeful mine will be here this month.
What kind of gas mileage? I bought a Ram a couple years ago but loved the Tundra, except the gas mileage. Always said if that improves, it will make my decision much easier next go round!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts