Archery Talk Forum banner

*** 2021-22 THE Pennsylvania Thread ***

295373 9120
I saw the trail cam pic perry24 posted of the buck with some decent antler growth so it seemed like a good time to start a new thread for 2021-22.

In a new segment this year, fullmoon will be hosting a weekly webinar where he talks tips, tricks, and even gives hints as to the general coordinates of his favorite honey holes. 😁
1 - 20 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I have never not bought online that I can remember, the only license I've ever purchased in person were non resident tags I wanted to use that day.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Sometimes I forget how young some of you guys are. Was a big deal back in the day (70's) for me to walk downtown with my dad to fill out our applications on the counter of the local sporting goods store. Never got doe tags. Shooting does was sacrilege to my dad and his buddies.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
So I my scouting was done around April and got my trees prepped. The 2 farms near where I’m going to be hunting are growing corn and the other beans. I keep trying to figure out how and when deer are going to use these as destination food plots and how you guys use them as a strategy ? ( second year hunter trying to learn all I can)
Cheers guys
I’d be on the beans. Hunting corn can be frustrating. My experience here with standing corn is once people start entering the woods deer tend to stay in the corn during daylight. That and pinning down where they transition from woods to field is tough because your line of sight is limited, forcing you to walk the edge to figure things out. Now after it’s cut that’s a good place to be. Not only do they loose a huge amount of cover forcing them into the timber. You can now set up to catch them entering in the evening. You can set up where you can watch the whole field and plan accordingly . I love hunting around bean fields. You can almost set your watch at times when they will enter. They also will bed in beans. See it all the time. Sounds like you have a good spot there. Good luck, will be looking for hero picture this fall👍

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Walk into semi local walmart to get my license yesterday. Big notice posted across the counter. " All out of pink envelopes" CRAP! So I call around to four other walmarts ,, you guessed it. Every one no envelopes. Finally found them at a store half hour from me. Funny thing this store had a ton. A stack on the counter, a full box under the counter and a box in the store room. Guys must be going into those other stores and grabbing them by the fistful. Why, Oh, why is Pa in the dark ages when we have the technology to totally avoid this nonsense? I know subject has been beat to death,, OK I feel better now, carry on.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Now you need to go to one site to see tags awarded and another site to see remaining tag numbers. Just like buying licenses on line and having to go to a store to get pink envelopes. I hate to bash the PGC and visiting two web sites is no huge effort , but why does this seem to get a little more stupid each year. ,,Unless I'm missing something here?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
No it's gypsy's for sure, the moths are fluttering everywhere in the hardwoods and the caterpillars are clung to the trees by the thousands (it did seem that most still in that form were dead) it appeared they really honed in on the oaks and most all of them hardly have any leaves.

The silver lining is that the recently select cut timber that thin of foliage had the under growth blow up this summer and if we don't have any acorns it's likely the neighbors won't either and hopefully that works in the favor of our apple trees and food plots.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I remember years back along Rt 402 between Marshall's creek and lake wallepaupack, about a 20 mile stretch, the gypsy moths absolutly stripped the timber. Seemed like every single green leaf was gone. Destructive little buggers.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I drew Zone 6, I killed it just across and down the river from Bennezette.
Don't take this the wrong way, not criticizing. Just an observation.. Been to Bennezette many times in the fall. I've walked to within 20 yards of massive bulls on many occasions. Tame as a little puppy dog right around town there. They walk right up to the houses, and stroll through traffic on the roads. Have also gone backwoods on horseback , same thing they just stand there even when you dismount. They are pretty conditioned to human interaction.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Been well over a week since my 5C doe tag was activated, no tag in the mail yet. Have had a lot of " lost" mail the past year. Hope this isn't more of it. I have electronic record of it. I figure If it never shows I'll shoot a doe still if the mood strikes I'll just make my own tag. Let the PGC and the USPS sort it out. I'm not going to chase it down. Hopefully it shows up.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
A guy I know used to take those that drew a tag out on horseback. Actually a guy that used to post here used him. I have been back in the hills with him multible time. Like Doug said, Elk were easy to find for him and would have been an easy kill if we were hunting. Was very enjoyable. He has since moved out of the area. Would I like to draw and hunt? Sure why not, Elk meat is delicious!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
USPS lost my damn mortgage payment last month...one of the only bills I don't pay electronically because they charge a $5 per month fee to pay it electronically....so last month I pissed away an extra $41 ($36 to stop payment on the check and $5 to make an electronic payment). I'd rather spend $40 on a Kruncher and a Butt-Out out tool than remedying a mistake like this....

Even though we have a good rate and terms, I am considering a refi, just to get away from the fee mongering....quite ridiculous...I mean Verizon DISCOUNTED my family bill by $40 for going to an auto-pay, yet mortgage company wants $5 for each electronic payment.....

Ok...sorry for the rant.....

Saw my first decent buck in FCSP this morning...been hitting the same general area every morning between 6:20-7:00...I can see the area I located in the spring shed hunting from a good enough distance as to not bother the deer. Plenty of doe and fawn each morning, as well as, some small buck, but saw the first nice one around 6:50 this morning...waiting for the next rain to get in there and hang a camera.
The USPS seems to be in a mess. They lost a bunch of stuff of ours. Envelopes as well as small packages. Seems any package that hits a Jersey distribution center is a crap shoot at to weather it'll show. Between them and Amazon drivers backing into my leach field and rutting it up We can't win.

Pulled a couple cards this morning. Glad to see what seems to be a healthy number of fawns. A few small bucks. I've got a double main beam buck back this year and he is definitly adding more bone this year. He's only walked in front of a cam once so far. yotes have been spotted in the area but none on cam so far.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Saw my check was cashed and awarded a my doe tag for the first round on the new site. On the site though it says awarded first round non resident. obviously am a resident and all my other tags are listed as resident. that happen to anyone else this year? I'm thinking it was a mis-click once they entered it into the site but not sure if i should call in or do anything to change that. If they took the $6.90 and awarded it you would think they knew i was a pa resident.
unless the new site puts it as you aren't a resident of the zone you picked but that wouldn't make any sense.
Scan back a couple pages. Others have had the same problem. Just the latest gaffe in the Pa. doe license process. Don’t worry about it. You have a record of paying , just hunt. It’s been a couple weeks since I was awarded doe license, nothing in the mail yet. Pretty sure it won’t get here. I’m just going to hunt, license in pack or not, don’t care. Not the hunters fault they can’t set up a simple system that works.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
My boot dilemma is I hate tall, lace up boots. A 6” boot is more appealing to me, but I wonder if the provide adequate ankle support.
Hoffman has their own 6” and a 6” version made exclusively for them by Meindl.
Good luck with the boot search. It’s such a personal thing as to what works for each individual. It can get expensive, believe me I know. I’ve come to the conclusion most supposed high end boots are overrated and not worth what you pay. Guys pay it and say how good they are trying to justify the dollars spent, been there done that.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Spent the morning at our hunting ground. Took out an old blind that gave me 3 years. Was out all year round. Put up a new much bigger one in the same spot. See tons of deer here. Also mowed our paths and touched up our trails to some of our sets. It is an jungle down here in 5 C this year. Unbelievable how much brush growth took place this year.

Out with the old. In with the new.

1 - 20 of 411 Posts