Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Saw a gorgeous buck on the way in today...coming across a bean field with light fog raising, I pulled over to watch as it was too far to even attempt a photo with my phone....was nice to see....

Everything has just about stopped in Potter, less than 5 pics across a fleet of cell cams, Pop and his buddy zero sightings in from stand the last two days. Warm South winds, light rain a little bit at some point every day all likely contributing.

Pop hunted the blind until 6:55PM on Monday, quitting time is 7:08PM ........would have been about a 25 yard shot.

Hope he didn't blow his chance...the South winds for the rest of the week really mess that spot up...the next foretasted desirable wind won't be until next Wednesday.
Same thing in luzerne/Lackawanna county. Across 6 reveals I was averaging 15-20 pics a night in big woods. I've had a whopping 10 pics since Saturday. I'm done hunting till it cools off. I'm finding no joy with the bugs, heat, and wishy washy winds

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I absolutely agree that cell cams tell a tiny part of the story, but there's absolutely something to getting tons of pictures in daylight and night when it's colder, and cameras going dead when it's warmer.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Went out to one of my better spots this morning. Needed a NW wind to hunt it and thats what all the weather stations were reporting. Get to the remote spot and it's a solid east wind. Disaster for this spot. It's so remote that I said screw it and sat it. Had a few does go by, and another that I had no idea what it was running like a bat outta hell.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Same here! I haven’t seen even a doe from the stand. I have seen a couple small buck, but most of my hunts have been disappointed due to weather. Beautiful, but warm.
I'm now 9 hunts in, and seen 1 spike, and 5 doe to date. This time last year I let 3 decent bucks walk and quadruple the doe. I'm really struggling this year to get on game and the weather is playing a major role in that

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My son told me about this. More nonsensical foolishness from the PGC. It’s only a matter of time till someone becomes a statistic in the southeast.

Some people still think of straight walled cartridges as these arc trajectory limited range weapons. Gimme a 460 S&W in a 20 in barrel and I'll kill any deer all day at 250 yards

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Good luck!

SGLs are nuts…just pulled up, hoping to hike in to the spot I have….no parking anywhere?????

Pulled over to see what’s going on…..they’re stocking birds for tomorrows opener…..the sight is ridiculous, guys are literally marking spots with their phone GPS, guys have dogs out “practicing” ….. I’m not really sure what to think….except looks like I’m heading home….

Never made it for the DE duck opener today as my contact had to bail for work related reason….we’re going to try to connect tomorrow morning.

This seems to be getting crazier and crazier each year???

Had designs on a few days at camp next week….now rain and storms in the forecast everyday next week up there???
I feel for you. NE PA I've had entire huge swathes of prime gameland for myself. Just don't see alot of pressure for whatever reason. Hasn't helped me get a buck tho LOL

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
NEPA here, I walked for 4 hrs today determined to not sit until I found a smoking hot oak tree. Just an half hour ago I walked right up into 1 of my targets hitting an oak in daylight. He's moving finally! He saw me and spooked, but he did not smell me, and didn't run with much vigor. So he may not have known what he saw. Sitting the hot oak now. Never know what could happen

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
if this is in reference to my post, i will be hunting the rain unless there are thunderstorms. Not scared of the rain but not an idiot to sit in lightening with a metal bow. Glad your that tough but i like going home to my family.
No it wasn't. Absolutely agree won't find me in a thunderstorm. Without rain there are some locations I simply find unhuntable because of the noise getting in there

1 - 20 of 77 Posts