Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My buddy owns a butcher shop and has what we call the wall of shame. 30 pounds and under a pic and the weight goes on the board. No hunter names or pics though... 18 lb is the all time leader......
I agree with Doug, to each their own. I would never criticize anyone for a legal kill, but 30 lbs is almost unbelievable, let alone 18! I killed a doe a couple years ago that I thought was bigger than it was, and felt kinda bad when I got home a it weighed in at right at 80 dressed. I couldn't imagine one half that size.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If anyone is interested I have set up a new youtube channel I'm calling Dtune Outdoors, also have a FB page as well :) Going to vid and produce a little content with all my busyness, lol! Put up a vid yesterday making an arrowhead. If that interests you please check it out and maybe subscribe if you want to see more :) Will be covering everything from hunts, trapping, fishing, shooting, foraging, ect.. Making an arrow point from Keokuk Chert - YouTube
Very cool. That is something that I've been wanting to try. I've made a few longbows and arrows, but haven't ventured into the knapping yet.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
That's ridiculous. And totally believable. The WCOs are over-the-top with some of the rules enforcement. I've never been tagged, but before they changed the orange laws no longer requiring bowhunters to wear orange, I know guys that got tagged coming out in the dark because they forgot to put a hat on. They had a 1000 lumen head lamp . . and it was dark and you can't SEE orange in the dark but they were given hefty fines anyway.
Yep, a buddy was approached as he was coming out of the woods after dark, as he got out of the woods and was walking across the parking lot/grass yard he took his hat off and stuck it in his pocket. The WCO tried to pinch him for not having it on. Said he was still considered "in the act of hunting". It kinda turned into a bit of a loud discussion and the WCO finally gave in and gave him a warning. Like Ringer said, it's cases like this that have put a bad opinion of the WCO in a lot of hunters heads.

I'm all for enforcing the laws, but at some point common sense has to be used.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It really isn't a money maker.I've had quite a few close friends over the years that were either WCO's or Deputies.They aren't required to write X-number of citations.They generally don't budge on orange violations however but i agree,there has to be common sense.I think it just comes down to the individual.Most are decent guys and some are just jack wagons with a Napolean complex and a power trip.Our last WCO was a good friend of mine.He did his job and was effective but he didn't treat anyone like crap.There's a female WCO CLOSE BY IN ELK COUNTY.We run into her on most weekends hunting birds.She always stops to talk and hasn't even checked of licenses one time.When my dog was a pup,she had cold feet in the late season and she even drove her back to the truck for me.Like any profession,most are good but there has to be common sense.

We've been lucky for the last 10 years or so_Our WCO and bordering officers were pretty decent.This guy only has one deputy and she's a recently retired land manager that was a WCO.for years prior to that.She has the personality of rock and has been hitting it pretty hard since she retired.It really co
uld be a nightmare.
If your talking about who I think you are (C.S.) she really gave my inlaws a rough time last year. To the point that you would swear she was stalking them.

I think most hunters try to be law abiding, but there are a lot of laws that we don't think about on a daily basis. One that I was recently reminded of is not being allowed to carry a used tag. For years I didn't know that it was illegal. I don't know that I ever had a used tag on me, but I do keep all my tags through the years and there very well may have been one in a coat pocket a time or two. The fact that you are assumed to have ill intentions just because you have it kind of irks me.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My opening morning was pretty decent. Saw a spike at 7:15. A large single doe at 7:30 and another doe and yearling at 7:55. Of course the only one I had a shot at was the spike so no dragging workout in the morning.

Afternoon I headed into the stand a little after 4. Sure enough at 6:15 a spike walks by at 10 yards. Around 6:25 I hear something coming down the hill. A big doe, a yearling and another big doe looked like a train coming towards me nose to tail. I took the lead doe.

And in large doe fashion she went to the worst possible place to die. It was a sparse winding blood trail going up hill and cross hill in the dark woods. I finally found her about 70 yards from the stand but after winding around in the dark focusing on the ground I wasn't sure exactly where I was. It is a small wood lot and there was no chance I wouldn't be able to find my way out, I just wasn't sure which way was best.

There was a 7 foot high solid wall of green briars downhill and the small saplings and briars I followed her through from uphill wasn't all that much better. And it was up hill. I "thought" I was below a trail that crosses right below a spring. I knew if I walked to far away I would never find the deer again in the dark. I scouted up hill as far as I dared and the brush didn't get any better. Looking downhill I found a small hole through the brush at the end of the briar wall. I followed it about 30 feet and could see other ways through. Started dragging her down the hill 30 feet at a time and then scouting for the next pathway. After 4 moves like this I came to a nice trail. It was the trail I thought I was below. Then It was uphill following the trail until the woods opened up so I could go down to the field and out to the road. Finally got it in the truck around 9 PM.

Too warm to let it hang so it had to be cut up. After a quick meal the wife brought me, the two of us started skinning and cutting. Finished up at 11 PM. Shooting deer can be a lot of work. Taking 42 lbs of meat to Weavers of Wellsville to get bologna, sticks and ring bologna made after work tonight.

Good luck and may all of your deer die in convenient locations.
Congrats and thanks for the story. I did something similar a couple years ago. Was tracking a doe and not really paying attention. By the time I found her, I "thought" I was only a short distance up to an old logging road. Long story short, It ended up taking the long way back to the truck and turned a fairly short easy drag into a tough one. I normally take by bow, stand and other crap back to the truck before I drag, but this time I decided it wasn't worth the extra trip....WRONG.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
This warmth is the new normal. As well as summers being sweaty and wet. Mosquitoes are crazy bad every year now. I never remember being bit by them in middle of town, now they are infested anymore, and forget about the woods in summer. It’s the new climate for north east. Just like ponds not freezing over thick enough to ice skate like they did all winter when I was a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Until it changes again.

The past 10 years or so I've pretty much avoided the first couple weeks of archery due to the heat, but I also remember several saturdays back in the late 80's and early 90's where I would hunt the first couple hours and then lay in the camp yard in a tee shirt listening to the football game.

And farther back than that, I remember as a kid putting on drives the first week of rifle in a t-shirt, with everyone scrambling to try to find an orange vest rather than their hunting coat.

I agree that we have had more warm days, but it's not like we never had them in the past.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I got in the tree right at 4 and saw nothing till 6:40. A mama and little one came in behind me and down wind. The mama was on edge but never ran. Even when she came across my tracks in. I put doe pee on my boots walking in and i dont know if that made her skittish or if that covered my scent enough to keep her from bolting. The little one walk over to the tree i sprayed doe pee on and sniffed it for a good 5 min. A 3rd big doe joined them at about 7and they hung around directly under me till about 7:10.

I normally would have let the big doe walk, but i just didnt feel like messing with one tonight.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Movement seems to have almost completely shut down.I only have 4 sits in and only had deer come by me one time.That's not enough time to determine anything but I'm not seeing anything in my travels.A month ago,they were like rats running around.I haven't seen a deer on my property in weeks.Lst night I went out to my truck to get something around 9:00pm and they were all over the place.No daytime activity though.
Same here. The couple I have seen have been at last light, or even after.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Bumped a couple does on my way in this morning. One small buck, or large spiker depending on your point of view, came into 3 yards so far this morning.

Was up at 3am to shower and make my 1.5 hour drive this morning. Will be a long one but man what a beautiful morning.

Ended up messing with my peep all afternoon yesterday. I feel like I am chasing my tail. It just won’t stop twisting. Right now it’s probably an 1/8th of an inch angled to the right and settles in perfect around my sight housing. I just want to pull straight the whole way. I only added twists to the string to try to correct it so my string has plenty of twists. Only thing I can think when tuning I had to remove twists from the left yokes as well as twists to the right to get it tuned perfectly. Maybe too many of each has it twisting when come to full draw.

It’s shooting dead on with broadheads and field points so I’m not messing with it now but boy does that bother me.

Peep twist frustrates me to no end. I typically will take a piece of loop material and put it in the string above the peep. you can slide the loop material up and down to fine tune the peep. I see Bowmar is now selling a rubber (or plastic) gadget that does the same thing.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I don't really care one way or the other about Sunday hunting, but the relentless whining makes me laugh. It's almost like some of you guys go out of your way to find ways to "be offended", while you were likely sitting there watching football games all day, and evening, anyway.

If I was an outsider reading this, I'd almost think that PA had a one day season, and it was today only.
Maybe not a one day season, but only 8 for a lot of people. I was one of those for years, and with 2 kids that were into just about everything, I was able to hunt a lot less than that. I'm not complaining, it was my choice and the right one for me at the time, but the reasons for not being allowed too hunt on Sundays dont make sense to me.

Now, I am able to hunt pretty much every day of the season if I wish, and because of that, I don't hunt a lot of Saturdays just to avoid the other hunters, and truth be told, probably wouldn't hunt many Sundays.

I think that eventually Sunday hunting will be a norm, but until then, I feel for the guys that work till 5 and have kids.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My thought is that it isn't an arrow, but a bolt. :) (Just being a smart ass, nothing more)

As for the blood, I'm not sure how some of the guys here can tell much from a picture of the arrow. To me, it looks watery and no bubbles. I don't see any guts, I might guess muscle hit, but don't see any chunks of meat.

Like I said, I'm not real good at just looking at the pictures. Hope there is a good ending to this story.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Went out last night to a stand where a westerly wind wouldn't hurt me. Turned out to be a 90mph swirling wind (maybe a little exaggeration on the MPH) kinda hard to shoot when both arms are wrapped around the tree.

Then, right at 6:00, I hear something. Sounded like Rudolph was coming! I thought I was going to get to whack one of the top 9 on Santa's hit list. Turned out it was just someone running their dogs. They ran around me for the next hour. The joys of hunting gamelands.

On the plus side, I checked my cameras and got some daylight pictures for the first time in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I also wonder if the “new generation” of hunters learned how to hunt from tv, or if they had an actual mentor. If you’re watch most hunt shows, they almost always throw the deer in the back of the utv without being field dressed. Like you said, when I was taught, including my safety coarse at 12 yrs old, gutting a deer was just as much a part of it as the rest of the class.

There are several benefits to NOT gutting a deer in the field.

Personally, I still field dress them, mainly because I don't want to drag the extra weight.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I do this for fun. Getting wet and having a bunch of wet gear every day isn't fun. Yes deer will move in some rain but . . to me the risk of a lost blood trail is too great. Sure, if things are perfect the blood trail won't matter. But they aren't always perfect. When I picked up a bow as a hunting tool I agreed to the fact that it is a short range weapon, and conditions must be much more ideal to be fair to the animal I'm going after. For me, rain is not ideal for bowhunting.
Couldn't agree more.

I'm not saying that I haven't archery hunted in the rain, but I don't intentionally go out knowing that it is going to rain while I'm out. Like you, to me it's just not worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I used to carry one all the time, my wife called me a wuss and said what kind of hunter are you? I said I like to be a dry one. I do use a tree umbrella but I've never gotten a shot when I have it up.
The rain sounds loud as hell under the tree umbrella. Not sure it sounds much louder or different than the rain hitting the leaves from 20 yards, but it is definitely loud under it.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts