Archery Talk Forum banner

*** 2021-22 THE Pennsylvania Thread ***

295377 9120
I saw the trail cam pic perry24 posted of the buck with some decent antler growth so it seemed like a good time to start a new thread for 2021-22.

In a new segment this year, fullmoon will be hosting a weekly webinar where he talks tips, tricks, and even gives hints as to the general coordinates of his favorite honey holes. 😁
1 - 20 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
That $30 I spend every year on a pheasant stamp is the best $30 I spend all year.I don't count how many birds I kill but I suspect I killed less than 12 from OCT to feb last year because usually the only time I take a shotgun is if I'm hunting by myself.However,I'd say I watched at least 75 birds bite the dust over my dog's head last year.The reaction from those doing the shooting and the smile on my dog's face makes it worth every penny.

It wouldn't be worth the $30 if I just went out a couple times beating some brush but that's what makes it nice.If you want to play and have a really good experience,that stamp is the best money spent all year.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Between cleats,bats,pants, and a list of other baseball paraphenalia,I easily spent over 1K this past year on my son and I do that almost every year as he outgrows and wears stuff out.I just spent close to $600 on a new saddle pad and shims for a horse who had an odd shaped back.My kid's activities cost me piles of money but in the end it's all worth it.What I spend on hunting licenses is by far the best bang for my buck all year.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
That could have been bad.I know grapes are toxic to dogs so I imagine the dried ones could be just as bad.I had a well meaning but uninformed neighbor dump a huge load of apples in my horse pasture several years ago.Luckily,I had the horses gated off in another one.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Not a horse person here. Are apples bad for horses? Regardless, I wouldn’t presume to give someone else’s animals food without asking.
An apple or two isn't bad for them at all but if they gorge on them,they can easily die.Horses have a very sensitive digestive system.Too much grass,too early in the year can founder them,which can be a death sentence.Too much grain will also kill them.You really have to keep an eye on what they eat and how much.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Thanks, but that wouldn't help him to be able to hunt his own land. I am thinking it won't be an issue this year with the new application process, but who knows.

There are a couple of good one's up there that we couldn't get on last year. This guy passed one of the Spypoint's this morning...

Too bad it wasn’t one of the Reveals, the pic quality would have been much better.
Why wouldn't that help him to be able to hunt his own land?That's what DMAP is for.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Applications have to be post marked for 7-1-21 this year.It used to be 5-1 so there's still time.
It doesn't matter if you're a non-resident land owner.If you own it,you can DMAP it.Many Timer companies are located outside of Pa but still DMAP their land in Pa.
EZYSHOT,yOU AUTOMATICALLY GET 1 DMAP TAG FOR EVERY 50 ACRES OF TIMBER.In your case,just submit a plan saying that not enough doe are being killed in that area and submit a semi-detailed reason as to why you can't get regeneration or the biodiversity is suffering.You'd most likely get one.I have a little over 20 acres,about 10 of which is actually agriculture.I automatically get 2 for my kids but when I first started to DMAP it,I'd ask for 4 to give to the neighbor kids.They never used them so I just kept getting two.I'd submit a more detailed plan and one time the biologist actually called me to ask why I was asking for more than I would be automatically allotted.It's a simple process.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
There's no cost to enroll/
I don't see a cost associated, am I missing something?
There's no cost to enroll.After they approve the App,they'll send you coupons that you can take to any license agent to redeem.The tags are $10.You used to be able to get two per person for each DMAP unit.Last year they increased it to 4.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
I'll never "get" the PA bear hunting mentality of shooting cubs.
Most years I hunt bears with big groups.Alot of planning and a ridiculous amount of work goes into the drives themselves so most groups will frown on anyone who refuses to shoot a bear that goes past the standers.I don't have much interest in killing any bear but I do like the anticipation of hearing the shots ringing out and seeing the results of a well-executed drive.As a result,I drive every drive and hope that I don't cross paths with any bear,big or small.I've been on hand when a couple dozen bears have been killed and the smallest bear I've ever witnessed getting shot was an 80lb cub but that was only one time.Most of the bears range from 150-200lbs.

The season is set up so that most of the sows with cubs are already denned but depending on available food,that's not always the case and some sows and cubs get killed.If the sow is killed,the cubs have a instinct to den on their own and the majority will survive.Several years ago,there was a sow and 5 cubs behind my buddy's place.The sow and two of the cubs were killed but the remaining three survived til at least the next fall.

I don't want to kill a bear bad enough to shoot a cub but realize that it's just part of managing them.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
I don't know. Game Commission officials are not elected by the people. The legislatures are the peoples' representatives. Removing the Legislators in effect gives the people no voice with the Game Commission.
I can't think of one positive influence that the legislature has ever had on game management.

1 - 20 of 507 Posts