Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
Earlier every year Nicko !! Let’s go 21-22”!

I reset, cleaned up, cut branches/trees, and reorganized my 3D targets today. Looks awesome and ready for this upcoming year! Set-up cell cams for first time, etc...
I have 3-4 stands I want to set-up and get in, but will figure that out over next few weeks/months.

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
View attachment 7415206 ,Bowtech Solution SS is ready for big MT buck...My scouting is done. Just shooting and 3D fun all summer
Is that one of your plots you carried several heavy bags of seed uphill (-‘and through the woods to grandmothers house we go) to your secret, Mtn palace?

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
Perry (is your name Dave?) I like the Subalpine on that BT.

I’ll be shooting my Mach 1 again, love this bow. Hoping the one I hit last year is still alive and will spend some additional time in Tennessee this fall trying to get on a big one.
View attachment 7415146
His name is Dave . I’ll let him comment the rest. He is a string-building guru! Some of the best (of not the best)... I have used. Servings were immaculate.

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
Saw my first fawn of the year yesterday. Looked like it was day or maybe two tops. Stumbling around, laying down, etc....still getting its legs.
They are cutting big field for hay as we speak so I hope they go unscathed. Each year it seems one gets it unfortunately.

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
This has absolutely become more than just a hunting thread at this point. I've been walking around still stunned and in shock. Having a son that is about to turn 20 this one really hit home. Darrin I'm still out of words but if there's anything I can do shoot me a PM.
I echo this Darrin, even though my little girl is not quite close to 20 yet. I wish I knew what to say, that others haven’t and to make your ache and grieving subside.
He went in a very honorable way! Prayers with you.

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
2021-22 License purchased. Ready to rock and roll.
First year buying mine online. Was pretty painless and I bought 2 DMAP tags too. We will see how soon it takes them to come.
For those that ordered online in past, how many pink doe envelopes do you get? I hope they send a few.

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
That's a shame.I didn't agree with the way he was looking at everything but I didn't see any bannable posts.I thought he was fairly reasonable.
What happened to Dave??

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
Seems our neighbor decided to discard of a pile of Lucky Charms cereal as well as granola with raisins in their yard. Our yard is not fenced and Maisy roams both yards. This morning, Mary noticed Maisy was chowing on something and got down there to see the food pile. I did a quick search and saw raisins are toxic to dogs. We called the vet and they said to give her a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide to get to vomit if we wanted to be safe. She never puked so the vet said bring her right in. They gave her something to get the job done and out came what the said was a big pile of raisins. Sounds like it could have gone bad if we ignored it or waited too long. She’s got to stay at the vet for 48 hour$ for fluids and them keeping an eye on her.

It’s totally our fault as her owner for not keeping an eye her. And it’s our neighbors yard….they can do what they want. Gonna be an expensive lesson for us.
Glad you caught it Nicko. Big relief for ya!!
My dog gets into everything and I mean everything. He got up on the counter tonight and stole 4 pieces of cheese I had out for burgers. Thank goodness he didn’t get the onions!

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
We’re still going as he got his tag, maybe I’ll be camera man or duck hunter extraordinaire….look forward to catching up with that crew too much not to make the trip. At least that’s the plan at this point
That’s a bummer Joe! How many years have you and Bruce been going out on that hunt?

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
Ordered my license and a couple DMAP’s online the day you were able to and still no licenses in hand.
I received one of my DMAP’s on Monday, however the 2nd DMAP I received was for a totally different gentleman a few towns over. I had to call PGC and mail that tag back to them. Was told the rest of my license and tags should be received together very soon

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
I’ve been going since 2008, started in central KS (Barton Co.), Pop’s first trip was 2009. Connected in Linn Co in 2011 and have been going there ever since. I missed 2013 when I fell from my stand here in PA.
I didn’t know you fell Joe. What did you walk away with? How did it happen if you don’t mind me asking?
As I get older, I am much more conscious when I am climbing into a lock-on. Ladders and climbers don’t bother me much…. but lock-On’s are a different story. I hang quite a few stands (lock-on’s) solo each year and each year I feel slightly more conservative….not in a rush like I was in my 20’s and 30’s.

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
I was getting settled in my Summit in an oversized shag-bark hickory tree for an evening hint. Climbing a shag bark hickory with any cable style climber is quite a chore, but this was THE spot. I was climbing with my chest harness attached but because the tree was so large I barely had about an 1-2” of spare belt laced through the chest buckle. I reached my hunting height of about 20’ and was try to turn my summit for a better vantage point on the trail. As I did that somehow the cable on the climber plopped out of the channel. That jolt sent me scrambling and I reached for the tether between me and the tree…as I did that the small 1-2” of spare strap popped through the buckle and I was on my way down.

I always try to climb trees with other saplings nearby, primarily for cover when I get to my hunting height. Realizing this was it, I literally jumped like Tarzan from my platform and grabbed onto one of the saplings. It started to bend under my weight and slowed the fall considerably until it finally broke dripping me about 12-15 feet to the ground.

I shatter my heel and ankle in my right leg. Underwent surgery two weeks after the fall as and had a series of screws and plates installed…5-months of therapy and a second surgery in May to remove the metal screws in favor of screws made of bone because my body wasn’t accepting the metal screws…let moving and getting infected.

My happened to be with me that night which is usually a rarity when I am hunting local. I called him once I composed myself and he helped me out of the woods and to the hospital that night. No doubt, prey scary for him getting that call…

All-in-all I was VERY lucky…had I fallen freely from the original height things would have likely been much different. If I had my feet under the bungee strap in the stirrups things would have likely been much different.

The day after the fall…

Two of the many images after the initial surgery….

Wow….never knew that. Good thing you had somebody with you.

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
Caught a dozen or so bass this morn but most were lacking in size.
Nothing like catching a fish on your first cast of the day though...and it being a walleye to boot! Caught 6 more of them within the first hour.
That’s a good day in the river. Walleye is my favorite fish to eat out of river for sure!
We were out Friday night after flatheads. Caught a 25#’er in deeper water that put up a fight and great run. Biggest one to date for me this far. Can’t wait til the day we hook into one of those 40#’ers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr. October

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
It would do some hunters good to ride around with a WCO for a day or ride along with a food and cover crew.

Most districts cover about 400sq miles.In this district,we have one F&C supervisor and two workers who are responsible for 10's of thousands of acres of gamelands.We have one WCO and he doesn't have any deputies.In just the twp where I live there's 9 full time cops and about that many partimers along with the PSP.At any given time,there's at least 6 police patrolling this twp ,which is just a fraction of the WCO's district.Do people really think the WCO's time should be spent on tresspass?
Yes, I do think they should be involved in trespass, especially if it involves hunting. We have some of the highest poaching rates and hunting related trespass incidents in the country and half the time, trespassers disregard the posted signs and continue along because they can and the fines are very minimal (if any). Half the time nobody responds, or by the time they do, it’s hard to prove. I like and respect the officers in my district and I know the PGC is spread thin, but that doesn’t change my thoughts. In my profession, if I lose staff and my expenses go up…. I can’t cry wolf and tell my clients that’s the way it is and do less for them as an answer…. They still expect the same level (if not more)…..it’s like that for most of our professions.

I would also support a license fee increase, however I am with Joe, that there needs to be some benefit with that. I would also support the PGC being on their own…but there’s more to that than many people think.

I really wish our fines for poaching and trespass related to hunting was much more steep. You look at many states with a history of big bucks and many of them have no tolerance laws around trespass and poaching. That in itself helps a lot.

Why couldn’t hunting related fines (like trespass and poaching) be increased dramatically and larger portions of those go to PGC?

Reactions: Johnboy60

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
Again,the number of police in any area will out number a WCO by at least 10 to 1.If the PGC enforced criminal trespass,their entire day would be spent on those calls.I do agree that there's no teeth in our current trespass laws.The PGC can cite someone for trespass if they were also in the act of violating a game law.In that case,it's like a $50 fine.They can't enforce criminal trespass.

The poaching fines were recently increased quite a bit,especially for repeat offenders.The bottom line is,you either have to be a complete idiot or be in the wrong place at the wrong time to get caught because one WCO covers such a huge area.The majority of their cases are built on hunter's being their witness.
Read the link in my post. The PGC has the authority to investigate trespass violations as well as enforce as a primary offense, even if game laws aren’t broken. They CAN enforce it.
Do we need more….yes!

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
Out of curiosity, what type of tangible benefit would you guys expect or hope for in exchange for an increase in the general license fee?
A little research on other states structure would yield a lot of suggestions. I have archery hunted a lot of other states over the years and we pale in comparison to most.
I support higher staffing and more “visibility” of enforcement. All it takes is one or two major arrests or busts in your area and the other outlaws learn quick. It’s not the only answer, but a main one. More staffing certainly isn’t going to hurt anything at all, but what they do with that is another story.
More required/mandated harvest reporting. I do all of my harvests online through an app out of state…literally takes me 2 minutes. Confirm # is stored in there too.
We’re getting there on some fronts and believe we will continue to get better….but “enforcement” of game law violations is way behind in our state compared to others. While it’s a staffing issue, it’s also because the fines and enforcement around it are cheap. We have way more outlaws here in my neck of the woods than any other state I’ve been in and I’ve been in some rough, deprived areas in Midwest and good eastern regions.

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
Yes Perry, you are correct, but it is a terrible drain on their limited personnel resource and they would never be able to hire the numbers needed to do what local LEOs are capable of….we met a couple of great Leo’s, even permitted them to bow hunt our property which turned out to be a very wise choice for many years
I agree Joe, I even said numerous times above we are short. I am not arguing that. However the PGC can enforce trespass, even when a game violation isn’t present. I hear way too many times by many they can’t do that….they can.
But the fact is it’s a major problem and will continue to be one (shortage or not). I feel it’s our number 1 issue (trespass and poaching) by far amongst hunters outside of disease and other herd mgmt issues by nature. I don’t expect it to be perfect…but we are just to lax with major game violations in this state and as long as that continues, so will major problems. I never understood why anyone would want to be lax with many of these laws (especially in comparison to other states), however I never quite understood politics and I would be a very, very bad politician .

Reactions: 12-Ringer
1 - 20 of 201 Posts