Archery Talk Forum banner
2761 - 2780 of 9115 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I keep a Case folding knife I got for my 16th b-day in one pack and a Buck 110 folding in my other pack. I find the Buck knife to be a great value. Was shaving sharp right out of the box, sharpens up easily, and not so expensive that you’ll cry if you lose it. It would ruin the appearance but a strip of orange duct tape on both sides of the handle would make it a lot harder to misplace while cleaning a deer.
You can’t beat Buck’s 420 hc steel for ease of sharpening and edge retention. This is my trusty old Bucklite that I bought back in 1980 something. Gutted and skinned a ton of deer with that knife. The sheath originally had a Velcro closure but it wore out so I put a metal snap on it. I have other knives but this one is always on my belt in Archery Season.
Tableware Tool Kitchen utensil Cutlery Wood

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,746 Posts
I pulled my camera cards in NJ today. Way more bucks than does on camera. Some spikes, some smaller racks . . .

Hello there . . .

View attachment 7489229

note: Camera time is off by 12 hours.
According to my dads description of the buck he saw Saturday morning......this guy should be pretty close to what he saw, just make those brow tines about as long as the tines.
Looks like your gardepro is sorted out now? Hope you have some luck catching up with this guy Mr.O!

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,746 Posts
Thinking about going out in the morning tomorrow but I'm still undecided. Started raining a lil' bit ago and could possibly last into the morning, could be a decent chance of catching something good moving but I'm not in love with the temp of 51 that's forecasted. Don't remember the last time we didn't have a frost or 2 in October...even with the warm spells of late.

Maybe I'll just set the alarm and makeup my mind when it goes off...:LOL:

·
Pay It Forward
26,529 Posts
You can’t beat Buck’s 420 hc steel for ease of sharpening and edge retention. This is my trusty old Bucklite that I bought back in 1980 something. Gutted and skinned a ton of deer with that knife. The sheath originally had a Velcro closure but it wore out so I put a metal snap on it. I have other knives but this one is always on my belt in Archery Season. View attachment 7489239

This knife is the only thing my Poppop ever gave me..he gave it to me on my first official hunt at camp when I was 12.I have treasured it. No doubt it meant more to me than he ever knew, but that's on me for not sharing with him how much it meant. Sort of the pitfall of "camp" when I was coming of age, it was a place for MEN and MEN didn't talk as much about their feelings 37 years ago, at least in my family. Not exactly sure what happened when he passed, seemed like an all out war withing the family over his collection. I didn't feel right about fighting over anything and as a result, I didn't get any of his collection. To be honest, I'm not even sure where everything went.

The knife certainly doesn't get much use these days as I passed it along to Ty on his first hunt as a 12-year old (he hunted before that as a mentor, but I held off until he was an official license holder). Ty's not into the outdoors as much as I would have hoped, but I'm always holding out hope. He's killed a few deer, some upland birds, but has yet to get a turkey or get bitten by the same bug that got me going. It's only when I reflect back that I realize I didn't really explode until age 21 when I got my first bow...maybe that's part of the issue as I got him his first bow at age 6 (haha)...don't know if I pushed too much, but I do know this....I know my dad only had to hint that I might be able to tag along and I did everything in my power to convince him, sometimes I feel like I am boreassing Ty to go...so a few years ago I stopped; simply told him when I was going, he has taken some turkey and pheasant trips, passed on the deer trips, passed yesterday on duck hunting (which was a bit of surprise), but it is what it is....for now the memorable BuckLite, Hank gave me is at least safe...maybe it will never mean as much to someone else; who knows.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
According to my dads description of the buck he saw Saturday morning......this guy should be pretty close to what he saw, just make those brow tines about as long as the tines.
Looks like your gardepro is sorted out now? Hope you have some luck catching up with this guy Mr.O!
They sent me new one really quick. That buck is a real show off. I got a couple dozen pics of him on 2 different pictures.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Anyone else's trail cam deer action drop of a lot over the weekend?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Yes. I was actually getting some daylight movement despite the heat early to mid-week and some mature deer just before or after daylight, then the switch got flipped. With a cold front that dropped temps over 20 degrees I thought just the opposite would happen.

·
Pay It Forward
26,529 Posts
Anyone else's trail cam deer action drop of a lot over the weekend?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Yep…we did have 6 guys running around the area as well.

Something strange…most of our cams blew up today.

I am wondering if it’s because the pressure today is the highest it’s been in 9 days??! It won’t this high again until next Monday/Tuesday

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes. I was actually getting some daylight movement despite the heat early to mid-week and some mature deer just before or after daylight, then the switch got flipped. With a cold front that dropped temps over 20 degrees I thought just the opposite would happen.
We had the opposite happen here. Lots of bucks on camera with the cold front, some during the early morning/early evening transition periods.

This guy showed up, albeit no where close to shooting hours:
Flash photography Plant Branch Black-and-white Wood

Black Elk Flash photography Plant Wood

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Well back to the real world for me, lol! 9 days in central PA was nice :) No bears. Did see a super nice 8 pt Monday evening.....he was 30 yards and feeding. I walked right up to him and he didn't know I was there. Muzzleloader in hand and camera in back pack. I crouched down, got the pack off, the camera out but he figured it out and I just got a glimpse of him fleeting. I somehow :unsure: still not sure what I did, missed a doe with the muzzy at like 70 yards...no idea. Was 100% a clean miss, I even say I missed in the vid like 2 secs after I shot. Looked all over that day and then again the next morning after seeing the vid on the computer and not a hair nor speck of blood. I knew from her reaction anyhow but just kept bugging me. On the better note I found what I am dubbing "Bearlandia" 😁 I found the spot....took me the entire week and walking 5-6 miles a day but I know where they are and where they stay and even more importanly, how they move from top to bottom. The one is big! By his crap and prints he's huge and the sign was all stages from old to fresh 😉 Just took me until Saturday afternoon to find it. It ended up 2.7 miles on foot and with all the laurel and the extreme topography there is no other way in in out for a human. Oh I will be back 👍

2761 - 2780 of 9115 Posts