Archery Talk Forum banner
261 - 280 of 9121 Posts

· Registered
6,654 Posts
I'll never "get" the PA bear hunting mentality of shooting cubs.
Most years I hunt bears with big groups.Alot of planning and a ridiculous amount of work goes into the drives themselves so most groups will frown on anyone who refuses to shoot a bear that goes past the standers.I don't have much interest in killing any bear but I do like the anticipation of hearing the shots ringing out and seeing the results of a well-executed drive.As a result,I drive every drive and hope that I don't cross paths with any bear,big or small.I've been on hand when a couple dozen bears have been killed and the smallest bear I've ever witnessed getting shot was an 80lb cub but that was only one time.Most of the bears range from 150-200lbs.

The season is set up so that most of the sows with cubs are already denned but depending on available food,that's not always the case and some sows and cubs get killed.If the sow is killed,the cubs have a instinct to den on their own and the majority will survive.Several years ago,there was a sow and 5 cubs behind my buddy's place.The sow and two of the cubs were killed but the remaining three survived til at least the next fall.

I don't want to kill a bear bad enough to shoot a cub but realize that it's just part of managing them.

· Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
34,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
I would also guess if it is a single bear by itself and no larger bear present for scale, it may be easy for a hunter not used to seeing bears to underestimate how small it is until walking up on it.

· Registered
557 Posts
We just had a bear walk through our woods a few minutes ago. I missed it but my wife saw it. I've seen 3 so far this year. Most years I'll see around 20 or so. I do drives with a group of about 10 guys and if they see 2 or 3 between all of them the whole year that's a lot. I would put money on it that if an 80lb bear ran out it would get shot and the shooter would tell everyone how it was at least 200 lbs.

· Registered
4,222 Posts
At least it went off lol
That time yes. Once as a teen I spent most of a day and 4 different shot opportunity's with the gun not going off. My Dad finally said "Let me see that." There wasn't a flint on it. No idea when it fell out and not smart enough to notice.

· Registered
34,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Off the hunting topic but wondering if any here have shot at the Lancaster Classic that is held in January or entertained the idea. The thought enters my head occasionally but I'm reluctant to give up hunting days when the season is winding down.

I have no delusions about being any actual competition...... more so just to give it a shot and check it off my archery to-do list. If I do it , regardless of outcome, I'll always hold the home basement archery championship title......at least at my house.

· Ad Meliora
21,353 Posts
Off the hunting topic but wondering if any here have shot at the Lancaster Classic that is held in January or entertained the idea. The thought enters my head occasionally but I'm reluctant to give up hunting days when the season is winding down.

I have no delusions about being any actual competition...... more so just to give it a shot and check it off my archery to-do list. If I do it , regardless of outcome, I'll always hold the home basement archery championship title......at least at my house.
I’ve debated it too?

· Registered
4,130 Posts
How long is it taking everyone who bought their license online , for you to receive it? In the past I've always gotten it in a few days. This Thursday will be 2 weeks. Just hoping there is no issue.

· Registered
34,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
How long is it taking everyone who bought their license online , for you to receive it? In the past I've always gotten it in a few days. This Thursday will be 2 weeks. Just hoping there is no issue.
USPS…….enough said.
I will always buy in person.

· Registered
12,619 Posts

I shot it a couple years. Back then it was still at the shop and it was really fun. It was probably a bit more intimate back then but I've attended as a spectator a couple years since he's moved it to Spooky Nook and can say it's probably one of the best run tournaments anywhere ever. It is well worth attending and shooting. After Vegas it is probably fast becoming the next biggest indoor tournament of the year and it is right in our back yard.

261 - 280 of 9121 Posts