Archery Talk Forum banner
2921 - 2940 of 9121 Posts

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
So tonite I'm "that" jerk on public. I just walked into a spot I had hunted last evening. I one stick up and am getting all situated in my saddle. Suddenly some guy 45 yards to my left says "Right here", puts his hand up, then gets up and leaves. The guy literally let me pee 40 yards from him and then walk by him and never said a word. He was set up behind a big root mass from a blow down so I never saw him. So, if you happen to read this, I'm sorry man. I would've come right back down and got gone had I known / saw you there. Hope I run into him so he can chew me out.
How did he act as he was leaving?

Being a ground hunter, he may have been ready to move anyway, kind of a modified still hunter.

I imagine if he was put out over the whole thing, he would've stopped you before you got a stick up, let alone in your saddle, once it became obvious that you were planning on setting up and staying. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,923 ·
So tonite I'm "that" jerk on public. I just walked into a spot I had hunted last evening. I one stick up and am getting all situated in my saddle. Suddenly some guy 45 yards to my left says "Right here", puts his hand up, then gets up and leaves. The guy literally let me pee 40 yards from him and then walk by him and never said a word. He was set up behind a big root mass from a blow down so I never saw him. So, if you happen to read this, I'm sorry man. I would've come right back down and got gone had I known / saw you there. Hope I run into him so he can chew me out.
Once he sees you, it's up to him to whistle or call out to let you know he is there so you can keep moving. That's what I do.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Exciting sit this afternoon. Quite possible I bumped this guy bedded near my stand. Minutes later he was tripping my Reveal 150 yards away. He was mighty photogenic and provided multiple pics. A doe tripped the cam and a short while later he followed her down to the creek, about 55 yards away. Not sure where they went after that. Remarkably similar to the habits of the bruiser I hit at same property last year. No other deer sighted.
Plant Carnivore Tree Natural landscape Fawn
Plant Nature Tree Twig Natural landscape

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
26,997 Posts
that’s a stud good luck

Exciting sit this afternoon. Quite possible I bumped this guy bedded near my stand. Minutes later he was tripping my Reveal 150 yards away. He was mighty photogenic and provided multiple pics. A doe tripped the cam and a short while later he followed her down to the creek, about 55 yards away. Not sure where they went after that. Remarkably similar to the habits of the bruiser I hit at same property last year. No other deer sighted.
View attachment 7491490 View attachment 7491491

·
Pay It Forward
26,720 Posts
View attachment 7491490 View attachment 7491491
That’s some motivation for sure

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,810 Posts
Anyone going out in the morning for a quick one before the rain gets too bad?
I'm thinking I'm gonna give it a go. Not supposed to rain here till late morning...more likely early afternoon. Figure it'll at least be a good day to put a stand in to hunt next week...with the rain washing away any ground scent I might leave behind doing it.

Temps are looking better next week...about damn time!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Been having an amazing past 3 days of hunting. Yesterday after finding some fresh sign I did a hang and hunt. Saw a 140# buck at 2:45PM as well as a few spike bucks and a couple doe. Today I get out after classes at 1PM, and see a 120" 7 point, then an hour later see a 130" eight point around 4pm. All of them made scrapes or rubs and some following doe slowly. Just a matter of getting a clear shot, its super thick where I'm at and had the big one at 30 yards but no clear shot. Hitting it tomorrow morning to try and get another chance.

·
Perry Hunter
2,647 Posts
Good luck to all of guys this weekend and next week. I am up and throwing food in cooler and hitting the rd shortly to pick up my co- pilot and then on rd at 4 to Missouri. Wind seems to really be picking up when I was outside.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
I went and hunted a small plot. Saw 6 doe. One let a fawn nurse. That fawn couldn't have been 40lbs. I was going to shoot the doe since they came put at 430... after that I just couldn't orphan that fawn
I honestly have never needed deer meat enough to orphan a fawn. Call me "old softie" but I've seen too many of those little ones running aimlessly around the woods and getting run over due to the neighbors shooting every deer that walks by.

Reactions: jlh42581 and Pyme

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Anyone going out in the morning for a quick one before the rain gets too bad?
Workin' for "the man" this morning. I have some time off penciled in for Monday though. Hopefully that works out.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
I'm thinking I'm gonna give it a go. Not supposed to rain here till late morning...more likely early afternoon. Figure it'll at least be a good day to put a stand in to hunt next week...with the rain washing away any ground scent I might leave behind doing it.

Temps are looking better next week...about damn time!
Still no frost in sight. I've been paging through my notes. These are temps we used to get in early October years ago. Typically we've had at least one good frost by now.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Good luck to all of guys this weekend and next week. I am up and throwing food in cooler and hitting the rd shortly to pick up my co- pilot and then on rd at 4 to Missouri. Wind seems to really be picking up when I was outside.
Good luck out in Missouri!

2921 - 2940 of 9121 Posts