Archery Talk Forum banner
2961 - 2981 of 9121 Posts

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,962 ·
Can't believe how many fair conditions hunters there are. I'll be out tonight and all day tomorrow. Rain gear makes a hell of a difference
You have no idea how much high winds and humidity wreak havoc with my hair.

I am admittedly not as gung- ho get-out-there-every-chance-I-possibly-can as I used to be. Especially once I get a deer on the ground earlier in the season, I’m content to wait for the right conditions and time. But if time I have earmarked as prime hunting time or on a trip upstate is wet and raining, I will be out there with tree stand umbrella overhead.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
And back to what I was saying earlier (and got chastised for)....

Have you done anything productive to try and change that, other than complain to your buddies and on internet forums?
Realize that most of us have. There is only so much we can do until the politicians in Harrisburg are willing to turn over hunting seasons completely to the game commission.

Reactions: Pyme and Perry24

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Can't believe how many fair conditions hunters there are. I'll be out tonight and all day tomorrow. Rain gear makes a hell of a difference
I've been on too many blood trails over the years that disappeared in the rain. No thanks.

Plus . . I do this stuff for fun. With a couple hundred deer under my belt I don't really have fun sitting out there in terrible conditions. I have some really high quality rain gear but none works as well as my roof.

Reactions: hrtlnd164 and nicko

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I've been on too many blood trails over the years that disappeared in the rain. No thanks.

Plus . . I do this stuff for fun. With a couple hundred deer under my belt I don't really have fun sitting out there in terrible conditions. I have some really high quality rain gear but none works as well as my roof.
i am a late bloomer in the hunting world (started rifle at 27 and bow at 29) so i am still in the "embrace the suck" stage. Plus with two kids 4 and under now i have limited time and can't pick and choose my days based on optimal conditions. Give me a few years and i will probably ease off the less than ideal days.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Realize that most of us have. There is only so much we can do until the politicians in Harrisburg are willing to turn over hunting seasons completely to the game commission.
I wish I could believe that. Unfortunately, I don't believe that most have. They either have a defeatist attitude, or rely on "somebody else" to get it done for them, because in their mind, "Everybody already knows". I think the majority just complain, but never actually write a letter, attend a meeting, or go to their representative's office to make their opinion heard where it matters.

And that opinion can be "Make Sunday hunting happen", or, as you say, "Turn it over to the Game Commission".

I don't want actual answers on here (PLEASE don't derail this thread and turn it into another pizzing match!), but if everybody reading it asks themselves that question, and then actually does something about it, maybe, just maybe, we won't all be back here next year at the same time going through the same thing. Maybe.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
i am a late bloomer in the hunting world (started rifle at 27 and bow at 29) so i am still in the "embrace the suck" stage. Plus with two kids 4 and under now i have limited time and can't pick and choose my days based on optimal conditions. Give me a few years and i will probably ease off the less than ideal days.
So help me when I was younger my buddy Joe and I literally hunted during a hurricane. Crazy winds, sheets of rain . . I don't really know what we thought we were going to see but we obviously got very wet, and it was clearly unsafe. But hey! It was hunting season and we were off work so hunt we did! :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Pyme

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
View attachment 7491763
Not much of a rainy weather deer hunter these days.

This little dude has been chasing a doe and fawn back and forth in front of this cam for the better part of two hours now.
His assignment is to wear the batteries down before his daddy walks by there. :)

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,971 ·
I used to get all charged up to go out hunting the day after a big snowstorm. I now know I rarely see anything and the only thing that happens is I get exhausted from trudging through deep snow.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I wish I could believe that. Unfortunately, I don't believe that most have. They either have a defeatist attitude, or rely on "somebody else" to get it done for them, because in their mind, "Everybody already knows". I think the majority just complain, but never actually write a letter, attend a meeting, or go to their representative's office to make their opinion heard where it matters.

And that opinion can be "Make Sunday hunting happen", or, as you say, "Turn it over to the Game Commission".

I don't want actual answers on here (PLEASE don't derail this thread and turn it into another pizzing match!), but if everybody reading it asks themselves that question, and then actually does something about it, maybe, just maybe, we won't all be back here next year at the same time going through the same thing. Maybe.
I wrote a letter the year that this was gaining traction. My rep sent one back: email, saying that the majority of his district doesn’t support it, and since he represents them, he has to represent their view. He admitted, at least in the email, that he would vote for it personally if it were just him. But he won’t since his district doesn’t want it. Now… that’s what he claims anyway. This was for Lehigh county, east Penn school district area. (Emmaus/ Macungie) area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
I wrote a letter the year that this was gaining traction. My rep sent one back: email, saying that the majority of his district doesn’t support it, and since he represents them, he has to represent their view. He admitted, at least in the email, that he would vote for it personally if it were just him. But he won’t since his district doesn’t want it. Now… that’s what he claims anyway. This was for Lehigh county, east Penn school district area. (Emmaus/ Macungie) area.
I commend you. You are least took action, and put action behind your words.

I don't doubt him, regardless of the vocal ones on here.

And if that is what he was hearing from his constituents, then you have to respect that. At least he represents them, and not himself. That's a lot more than can be said for most politicians.

And again, I don't choose sides, only saying that those that want it, need to do something legitimate in that direction to get it.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,672 Posts
And back to what I was saying earlier (and got chastised for)....

Have you done anything productive to try and change that, other than complain to your buddies and on internet forums?
I have, have you? Ive mentioned before that I was in some of the very first parts of the movement. Ive written letters, supported media outlet of it as a person who started a qdma chapter. I was donating money to the cause when I literally didnt have a pot to piss in. My 30 year old face lives forever in an outdoor life video about sunday hunting.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
So help me when I was younger my buddy Joe and I literally hunted during a hurricane. Crazy winds, sheets of rain . . I don't really know what we thought we were going to see but we obviously got very wet, and it was clearly unsafe. But hey! It was hunting season and we were off work so hunt we did! :LOL:
The joys of being young and energetic! 😄

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
I have, have you?
No, I haven't.

I've said a bunch of times before, I don't care one way or the other. I'm more or less neutral. I'm not going to fight for something I don't really care about. However, at the same time I'm not opposed to it.

But I do get tired of those that are "pro" doing nothing more than complaining. If they want it, they need to do something to get it.

If you want me to stop urging guys to actually get off of their butts and do more than whine, to possibly get something done about something that you obviously are passionate about, I can do that. And we'll all meet back here next year, same Bat time, same Bat channel, to rehash it all over again, while everybody continues to sit home on Sundays.

I've tried to help. It's obvious that some guys don't want that. I'm out.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,672 Posts
No, I haven't.

I've said a bunch of times before, I don't care one way or the other. I'm more or less neutral. I'm not going to fight for something I don't really care about. However, at the same time I'm not opposed to it.

But I do get tired of those that are "pro" doing nothing more than complaining. If they want it, they need to do something to get it.

If you want me to stop urging guys to actually get off of their butts and do more than whine, to possibly get something done about something that you obviously are passionate about, I can do that. And we'll all meet back here next year, same Bat time, same Bat channel, to rehash it all over again, while everybody continues to sit home on Sundays.

I've tried to help. It's obvious that some guys don't want that. I'm out.
No that's not really the case at all. What we have here is you trying to jab me in the ribs on this topic for a second time. You did it in my recent thread and apparently didn't take the time to read my response there and felt the need to do it again.

So if your way to invite action to a cause is the avenue of snarky forum responses youre absolutely right. Your response was smack full of wanting to be the forum tough guy and nothing more. Be my guest on just letting your opinion out of a topic that's truly dear to me. BTW, you're welcome for my work to get the movement started on quartering deer in pa as well.

Some of us do talk the talk and walk the walk.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,672 Posts
And yet still nothing gets done, all these years later.

I'll just sit back from now on and smile while everybody keeps whining on Sunday, while they sit home.

It matters not one bit to me.
Nothing gets done? Im pretty sure the last sunday of archery season, the sunday of bear firearms season and the first sunday of deer firearms season are open due to this movement. They didnt just decide that they were gonna open it because they were bored.

2961 - 2981 of 9121 Posts