Archery Talk Forum banner
2981 - 3000 of 9121 Posts

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Why say anything?
Again, I guess the Sunday hunters don't want anybody to motivate and push their side to actually do something.

It's easy to whine, it's harder to actually do something about it.

I have nothing to gain, I don't care if we ever get Sundays year-round, but was actually trying to help a group that for the most part wasn't willing to help itself. Believe me, it's going to be a lot easier to just sit back, and let everybody keep moaning amongst themselves.

And now I AM out.

Why defend myself for trying to help a group where the majority won't do anything to help themselves? 🥴

·
Registered
332 Posts
And yet still nothing gets done, all these years later.

I'll just sit back from now on and smile while everybody keeps whining on Sunday, while they sit home.

It matters not one bit to me.
All that we hunter's can do is as you said write letters, go to meetings and put pressure on politicians. After that it's out of our hands. The politicians are going to decide in pa. Just because. Getting your point across and then saying no responses and don't get this thread off track. Sounds familiar.

·
Registered
12,187 Posts

I'll just sit back from now on and smile while everybody keeps whining on Sunday, while they sit home.

So far this has been one of those issues that just isn't moving no matter what people do. The same law makers who have always voted against allowing Sunday hunting still vote against it. There are a lot of people out there opposed. Amazingly, a lot of them are hunters.

Reactions: jlh42581 and Pyme

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,984 ·
I think most hunters would probably agree with opening all Sundays to hunting in Pennsylvania. Also think most hunters would probably agree to getting rid of the current doe tag application system and letting the game commission handle selling those tags through their online system. Some of us would also like to see the Pennsylvania game commission be able to allow to set their own license fees.

What do all three of these issues have in common? Pennsylvania legislature has some level of control ( or all control) of all three of them.

I’m still surprised that we even have three available Sundays now. Pennsylvania has been so far behind in regard to Sunday hunting that it appeared to be an impossibility to ever happen. At least it’s a start.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
I have a very low opinion of most politicians because the vast majority of them could care less what I think.I've never once wasted the time to write or email any of them on any issue.There's no logical reason to outlaw sunday hunting and the fact that it's been that way for so long just proves that they don't care about what we think.It's about the farm bureau period.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

im confused, if it matters not one bit to you.....why is this conversation taking place? You shouldn't care right?

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,667 Posts
Again, I guess the Sunday hunters don't want anybody to motivate and push their side to actually do something.

It's easy to whine, it's harder to actually do something about it.

I have nothing to gain, I don't care if we ever get Sundays year-round, but was actually trying to help a group that for the most part wasn't willing to help itself. Believe me, it's going to be a lot easier to just sit back, and let everybody keep moaning amongst themselves.

And now I AM out.

Why defend myself for trying to help a group where the majority won't do anything to help themselves? 🥴
You have an interesting way of motivating people Pyme. Lol. You should be a motivational speaker! Haha .

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I have called, i have written and i have done the NDA petition.....nothing has happened beyond getting 3 days.....all i have left to do is whine.....

Reactions: Billy H

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
As far as the Sunday hunting debate goes.. I believe three things will transpire:
1. License sales will increase.
2. More private lands will get posted.
3. The new bitch will be there is no place to hunt..
We see more and more talk about how crowded state land is and safety issues that go along with the increase in Hunter traffic. What do you feel will be the next dilemma Pa. hunters are complaining about? Sitting home a few Sundays may be the lesser of the 2 evils over time! Just something to ponder on another miserable rainy Pa. day… I have both worked for other’s and operated businesses along with raising a family who enjoys the outdoors all my life and never had an issue with scheduling the days I needed to hunt. Be careful what you wish for!!

edit: Understand I have no preference one way or the other on the subject. I will find a way to make time to hunt with or without Sunday! Anyone else can do the same…

·
Registered
12,187 Posts
I think most hunters would probably agree with opening all Sundays to hunting in Pennsylvania. Also think most hunters would probably agree to getting rid of the current doe tag application system and letting the game commission handle selling those tags through their online system. Some of us would also like to see the Pennsylvania game commission be able to allow to set their own license fees.

What do all three of these issues have in common? Pennsylvania legislature has some level of control ( or all control) of all three of them.

I’m still surprised that we even have three available Sundays now. Pennsylvania has been so far behind in regard to Sunday hunting that it appeared to be an impossibility to ever happen. At least it’s a start.
You would think wouldn't you? It is not the case.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,992 ·
You have an interesting way of motivating people Pyme. Lol. You should be a motivational speaker! Haha .
How about it......

PYME - "You're a bunch of worthless mealy mouthed sallies!!! Boo hoo hoo hoo!!!!!! Are you men or mice? Shall I get you some cheese to go with your whine?"

PA HUNTERS - "Man, that PYME has us ready to run through a brick wall. I am so fired up to take pen to paper and write a courteous letter to my local representative".

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,667 Posts
How about it......

PYME - "You're a bunch of worthless mealy mouthed sallies!!! Boo hoo hoo hoo!!!!!! Are you men or mice? Shall I get you some cheese to go with your whine?"

PA HUNTERS - "Man, that PYME has us ready to run through a brick wall. I am so fired up to take pen to paper and write a courteous letter to my local representative".
Lol he’d be a good drill sergeant!

·
Registered
26 Posts
As far as the Sunday hunting debate goes.. I believe three things will transpire:
1. License sales will increase.
2. More private lands will get posted.
3. The new bitch will be there is no place to hunt..
We see more and more talk about how crowded state land is and safety issues that go along with the increase in Hunter traffic. What do you feel will be the next dilemma Pa. hunters are complaining about? Sitting home a few Sundays may be the lesser of the 2 evils over time! Just something to ponder on another miserable rainy Pa. day… I have both worked for other’s and operated businesses along with raising a family who enjoys the outdoors all my life and never had an issue with scheduling the days I needed to hunt. Be careful what you wish for!!
All three of your scenarios seem likely, sure. But it is definitely true that you're increasing opportunity for existing hunters. This weekend is a washout for me. If Sunday were open, I could hunt the evening. So it goes.

My son is a toddler right now, but in a few years, when he's involved in Lord knows what kinds of activities, I just want to have the flexibility to take him out whenever we have the chance, no arbitrary restrictions. School kids who like to hunt better not also play a sport. Practice until dark, hope it doesn't rain on Saturday.

I congratulate you on your ability to work and raise a family and schedule plenty of time to hunt. That's the exception, not the rule, in my experience. It's often not responsible or practical to choose the outdoors, and adding six more days to my archery calendar would make life quite a bit more flexible for me and many folks I know!

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,807 Posts
Still no frost in sight. I've been paging through my notes. These are temps we used to get in early October years ago. Typically we've had at least one good frost by now.
I think I said it before but I don't remember the last time we didn't have frost at least once or twice in my area by now.
Extended forecast as of right now for my local is showing several consecutive mornings between 30 and 34 degrees starting around Wednesday next week. :)

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
When my son was a young,I could get him out before school occasionally in spring gobbler season.Once he went to high school,he had to be on the bus by 6:45am.This past year he had baseball practice for the school or a game every saturday during the season.He didn't hunt one time and as RESULT,NEITHER DID I.I love to hunt but I love hunting with my son more than anything.At the same time,kids are only young once and I also think sports are important and they take up a lot of saturdays.I don't think a kid should have to pick between the two.There's just no logical reason.

·
1,807 Posts
Saw a few deer this morning...a doe and it's fawn went by at 22yds around 7:15am. Sat till 10:30 then put up a cam and hung a stand...while sitting in the stand about 20 minutes later a scrubby 7pt came by at 18yds. The stiff breeze today had them a little on edge. 9 sits in so far and seen 22 deer...3 of them antlered buck.

Dads got to work tomorrow till noon so if I go in the am I'll be solo again. Depending how hard it's raining I might just wait the pm.

·
1,807 Posts
When my son was a young,I could get him out before school occasionally in spring gobbler season.Once he went to high school,he had to be on the bus by 6:45am.This past year he had baseball practice for the school or a game every saturday during the season.He didn't hunt one time and as RESULT,NEITHER DID I.I love to hunt but I love hunting with my son more than anything.At the same time,kids are only young once and I also think sports are important and they take up a lot of saturdays.I don't think a kid should have to pick between the two.There's just no logical reason.
I don't have any kids but I can kinda' relate to what your saying.
I missed 28 days my senior year of highschool. I had mono for a 2nd time that year(first time was in 1st grade) but I can bet I hunted half of those days I missed senior year.
I still hunt quite a bit solo and the rest...roughly half my outings...are with my dad and or bil. Theirs been times over the years where if I didn't go out, neither did dad and vice versa...takes away the motivation to go out without your wingman sometimes!

2981 - 3000 of 9121 Posts