Archery Talk Forum banner
3041 - 3060 of 9115 Posts

·
Registered
20,902 Posts
I'm of the age that my high school (and junior high) sport of choice was the rifle team. We traveled all over the area competing against other high schools, on ranges in the school basements.

I started off with a Win 52, then moved up to an Anschutz 54 when I made team captain. All provided by the school.

Lettered four years in a row.

I doubt too many high schools still have that as a choice. 😟
Mossberg 144 and then an Anschutz 64. People today look at me like I’m 🤥 when I tell them HS had a rifle team 😱

Next weeks temps are mightily appealing.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,043 ·
Mossberg 144 and then an Anschutz 64. People today look at me like I’m 🤥 when I tell them HS had a rifle team 😱

Next weeks temps are mightily appealing.
Hopefully we’ll finally get a frost. Weather appears to be turning the corner at the right time.

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
26,850 Posts
Nick I agree. We use to go hunt our camp in Huntingdon for opening day with some old timers. I really miss those days. They’d shoot a spike and be tickled to death. That’s what hunting is all about. I was the kid so If get to drag them all lol

Nice writing Pete. Love the pic where half of the hunters are wearing the Jones-style hats. Old camp photos are the best.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Hmmm. Big tides along the coast yesterday and today. My NJ spot is VERY prone to flooding so the season could be over pretty early there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Man I miss those days! Football used to be my life when I was a teen. I still have dreams from time to time that I’m a teen on the football field, and I’m 39 years old. Maybe one of my boys will play, and I’ll be able to live vicariously through him!

I have loved every second of coaching him through peewee leagues then watching Jr high, Jv and varsity. He has no idea how proud of him I am. 4yr letterman and captain. I wouldn't hesitate to go back 9 years and start all over again. They grow up way too fast.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

Was setup this morning early. All settled into my saddle by 5:40. Had high hopes of deer on the move, cruising bucks... all I got though was a fat red fox, hundreds of geese flying overhead and the never ending sound of gunfire from the local shooting range. On the fence on headed back out later. Hope others had better luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Well put that one in the record books as by far the worst October of hunting I've EVER had. 12 hunts in and 1 spike and 6 does to show for it. Have over 8 shooters on the parcel I'm hunting. Mountain bucks are absolutely kicking my butt
Your October was 6 does better than mine though I am going out this afternoon.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Decided to drive into Pennsylvania this morning and hunt 2A. I haven't been hunting PA much. On my walk into my stand I came across a fairly heavy blood trail, where it was obvious someone hit one and probably killed it. I got rained on pretty good this morning and as I suspected the blood washed away by the time I walked out. As I walked out the main path I looked over and saw this 5 feet off the path. Just annoys me how people first make such a poor shot , but moreso how they obviously didn't do a good job tacking. It was right next to the path, in open hardwoods. Not sure how they didn't find it.

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: Pyme

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,058 ·
Bad shots sometimes happen in bowhunting.… Appears this one got the job done. Hopefully they return to track and find it.

3041 - 3060 of 9115 Posts