Archery Talk Forum banner
381 - 400 of 9121 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
In 🙂 Just waiting for the new saddle to come monday and need to find my fids so I can splice this amsteel to make some step aiders. About time to bust a piece of this osage out and rough a bow out so it will dry faster 😊
What type of saddle you going to be using? Do you also use a small stand when sitting in saddle or just put feet on steps?

· Registered
29 Posts
So I my scouting was done around April and got my trees prepped. The 2 farms near where I’m going to be hunting are growing corn and the other beans. I keep trying to figure out how and when deer are going to use these as destination food plots and how you guys use them as a strategy ? ( second year hunter trying to learn all I can)
Cheers guys

· Registered
21,854 Posts
Once again, trying something new in my main plot up north, about 1 acre.
Winter wheat, winter forage pea and tillage radish, then packed and a clover mix added on top.
My clover plot is doing pretty well, May spray the grasses next trip, we’ll see after I cut it last time up.
Sky Cloud Plant Plant community People in nature

· Premium Member
3,029 Posts
So I my scouting was done around April and got my trees prepped. The 2 farms near where I’m going to be hunting are growing corn and the other beans. I keep trying to figure out how and when deer are going to use these as destination food plots and how you guys use them as a strategy ? ( second year hunter trying to learn all I can)
Cheers guys
Deer will be hitting the beans as long as they're green. In early season (evenings) I would hunt field edge or back along trails coming to the beans as long as you're not getting too close to the bedding area. I would not recommend walking in along the edge of the bean field for any (morning) hunts as you will blow the deer out. Corn fields can be hunted morning or evening as they serve as a visual barrier. I like hunting the edges and find that deer love to fool around between the woods and corn as they feed out of the corn in the morning and back into the corn in the evening. Whether bean or corn field, make sure you beat the deer to their destination so you're not spooking them on your way to stand, and have a good exit plan (especially after evening hunts on beans) so you don't blow the field out on your way out. I'm sure others on this forum have more to share. Good luck this season!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

· Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
34,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
I concur. Then hunting season passes even quicker and we’re stuck in winter doldrums ☹
Is Perry coming back, or was is permanent?
Pretty sure he should be back soon after he finishes his 5,000 Hail Marys and 1,000 Our Fathers.

· <<<Aim Small Miss Small
5,361 Posts
Not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but after receiving and reviewing my new 2021/2022 license, I see there are month and day cutouts on the back. Additionally after reviewing the book, I see that cutting out the month and day are part of the tagging requirements. As a public service announcement, just wanted to let everyone know.

You can guarantee that there are going to be some "improper tagging" fines handed out for that this year.

· Registered
12,599 Posts
Not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but after receiving and reviewing my new 2021/2022 license, I see there are month and day cutouts on the back. Additionally after reviewing the book, I see that cutting out the month and day are part of the tagging requirements. As a public service announcement, just wanted to let everyone know.

You can guarantee that there are going to be some "improper tagging" fines handed out for that this year.
I think we discussed it at the end of the old year thread. I for one am excited to not have to. Are my ballpoint pen work in freezing conditions.

Reactions: huntin_addict

· Registered
8,459 Posts
Cheers guys
I’d be on the beans. Hunting corn can be frustrating. My experience here with standing corn is once people start entering the woods deer tend to stay in the corn during daylight. That and pinning down where they transition from woods to field is tough because your line of sight is limited, forcing you to walk the edge to figure things out. Now after it’s cut that’s a good place to be. Not only do they loose a huge amount of cover forcing them into the timber. You can now set up to catch them entering in the evening. You can set up where you can watch the whole field and plan accordingly . I love hunting around bean fields. You can almost set your watch at times when they will enter. They also will bed in beans. See it all the time. Sounds like you have a good spot there. Good luck, will be looking for hero picture this fall👍

· Registered
3,975 Posts
Thanks for the link Nick. Hunter numbers are collapsing across the country with less and less long-term hunters joining every year. We worry about deer recruitment and should be worried about hunter recruitment. Despite a surge during COVID, long-term hunter numbers continue to decline. When people see things like the changes the PGC has made allowing more deer seasons and more bear tags and such they panic thinking about hunter numbers from years ago. But it isn’t years ago. If the precipitous decline continues, at some point hunting will cease to be a viable tool in biologist’s arsenal and we’ll be so far off the radar of policy makers.

As far as they “why” I feel like mostly hunters are our own worst enemy. When I was a kid, in nearly any state you could find a friendly farmer or landowner to let you hunt at almost any time. Now, with deer season running from September to January nobody wants their deer hunting “ruined” so small game hunters are kept off and deer hunting is reserved for those with the $$ to pay trespass fees or outright leases. Outdoors TV smashes a steady diet of garbage that we “need” to buy down everyone’s throat and hunting starts to become a game of the rich. Much like it is in Europe.
Leases at least gave the deer some refuge from the Game Commissions attempt to thin the herd down to nothing. Not only that but the deputies out running around trying to pinch someone for some minor violation don’t bother you on a lease. I don’t believe hunters are causing any of the decline in hunting. The kids just want to play on their phones and computers now. You hardly even see them playing outside much anymore. Years ago a lot of hunters thought they had a right to hunt in any woods they saw. There wasn’t much respect for private property. Hunters that don’t want to pay lease fees have plenty of state game lands to hunt on.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Once again, trying something new in my main plot up north, about 1 acre.
Winter wheat, winter forage pea and tillage radish, then packed and a clover mix added on top.
My clover plot is doing pretty well, May spray the grasses next trip, we’ll see after I cut it last time up. View attachment 7427381
Sounds like a solid cold weather mix, hopefully you can hold some deer to your place through rifle season.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

· Perry Hunter
2,663 Posts
Happy 4th to all!!

Good looking buck Joe!!

I missed Perry’s exit?
I read he was banned, but when asked nobody said why. What happened with him?
He’s a good guy!!

Reactions: Mr. October

· Feedn The Geese
12,839 Posts
Open access private near my house that have my stands set from spring leased and posted over the weekend. Called, going to get my stands this morning.

Main reason it was leased, the landowner heard you can get six doe tags. Wanted to say it's actually unlimited but good luck getting 2 let alone 6 in 4D.

Oh well, moving on

381 - 400 of 9121 Posts