Archery Talk Forum banner
401 - 420 of 9121 Posts

· Registered
6,639 Posts
Open access private near my house that have my stands set from spring leased and posted over the weekend. Called, going to get my stands this morning.

Main reason it was leased, the landowner heard you can get six doe tags. Wanted to say it's actually unlimited but good luck getting 2 let alone 6 in 4D.

Oh well, moving on
Seneca resource owned about 3k acres less than 2 miles from my house.It's a good mix of clearcuts,laurel and oak.It was always open to the public and usually DMAP'd.I didn't see it listed on the PGC's DMAP website so I called them and found out they they sold it to another timber company.I know that company often DMAP's their properties so I called them to find out that they plan on leasing it.I need to find out the details because while I detest leasing,I'd hate to get shut out of such a convenient place for me to hunt.It's not the first time this has happened.

· Feedn The Geese
12,839 Posts
I'd hate to get shut out of such a convenient place for me to hunt.It's not the first time this has happened.
Its the game you play for sure when you dont lock it up with money. The dues this place wants is up there with going to the midwest for a week. The property is not anything id willingly pick to pay that kind of money on but they had every spot filled before the posters went up apparently. Ive scouted every inch of it in the last five years, they can keep it, the deer are few and far between, it was a convenience as you stated but you know where I live, theres plenty of public.

· Pay It Forward
27,102 Posts
Seneca resource owned about 3k acres less than 2 miles from my house.It's a good mix of clearcuts,laurel and oak.It was always open to the public and usually DMAP'd.I didn't see it listed on the PGC's DMAP website so I called them and found out they they sold it to another timber company.I know that company often DMAP's their properties so I called them to find out that they plan on leasing it.I need to find out the details because while I detest leasing,I'd hate to get shut out of such a convenient place for me to hunt.It's not the first time this has happened.
Collins and Hancock did that with 10 of thousands of acres that I personally know of around our place outside of Gold. One particular tract was divided into three separate leases 1600 acres, 2750 acres, and 1300 acres...I was a member on the 1600 acre lease for 8 years, but just don't put the time in up there to justify the extra expense even though the costs are nothing.

They are starting to get uber creative as well, selling select memberships...for example you can but a non-hunting membership that grants access for hiking and biking, you can buy a motorized membership that allows hiking, biking, atv/motorbike and snowmobile, and of course there is the hunting memberships in which you can use a motorized bike as well. The atv/motorbiking and snowmobiling is probably bigger than the hunting. The 1600 acre lease has 55 hunting members, but only 26 archer hunt. Only 9 of those are locals and when I did hunt it, I never saw another person. There are three access points less than 2-miles from the front door and it's property that ran amuck on since I was a kid. I missed the initiation of the lease and it took 4 years to get on it...I wasn't happy about that, but it worked out.

· Registered
6,639 Posts
I talked to the guy in charge of managing the leases.He told me it would be advertised as a recreational lease which would include year round ATV use.When Seneca owned it,they managed the timber very well and tried to keep ATV traffic out.I'm not sure how it will play out.I speculate that they'll advertise it and open in up for bids.It kinda blows but it's not really that big of a deal.I was talking with a buddy of mine at the gym this morning.He has a camp that borders the property and hunts it religiously.He also brokered the deal between Seneca and this other company.He was shocked and disturbed when I told him what they planned on doing.Since he has inside connection,maybe he'll be able to work something out before they advertise it.

· Pay It Forward
27,102 Posts
I hope so as today so many established clubs jump on them so they may not even be available to locals or those with bordering properties. I know the Brookland Club has fallen on some hard time and are getting trampled by trespassers, I don't even remember how acres they have now, but it is A LOT

· Registered
6,639 Posts
I've seen leases come and go quite a bit around here.Usually a Timber company sells to an investment corp who come in and rapes and pillages the timber.They then lease it until a conservation organization like the western Pa conservancy or conservation fund comes in and buys it.At that time,they'll open it back up to the public before selling it or handing it over to the PGC or DCNR.By the time that happens,the property is trashed.We have thousands of acres like that around here.By the time you can hunt it again,it's a tangled mess of beech,striped maple and black birch.

That Seneca property was a gem.They had huge cleacuts that overwhelemed the deer and patches of laurel with a nice overstory of oak plus they DMAP'd it.You didn't see a lot of daylight movement because the deer had no reason to leave the laurel or clearcuts but the deer are there.I could almost guarantee a dead deer for my kid with one or two slow,one man pushes during rifle season.

· Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
34,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·
Collins and Hancock did that with 10 of thousands of acres that I personally know of around our place outside of Gold. One particular tract was divided into three separate leases 1600 acres, 2750 acres, and 1300 acres...I was a member on the 1600 acre lease for 8 years, but just don't put the time in up there to justify the extra expense even though the costs are nothing.

They are starting to get uber creative as well, selling select memberships...for example you can but a non-hunting membership that grants access for hiking and biking, you can buy a motorized membership that allows hiking, biking, atv/motorbike and snowmobile, and of course there is the hunting memberships in which you can use a motorized bike as well. The atv/motorbiking and snowmobiling is probably bigger than the hunting. The 1600 acre lease has 55 hunting members, but only 26 archer hunt. Only 9 of those are locals and when I did hunt it, I never saw another person. There are three access points less than 2-miles from the front door and it's property that ran amuck on since I was a kid. I missed the initiation of the lease and it took 4 years to get on it...I wasn't happy about that, but it worked out.
Hmmm...one of those leases sounds familiar.

· Perry Hunter
2,663 Posts
I've seen leases come and go quite a bit around here.Usually a Timber company sells to an investment corp who come in and rapes and pillages the timber.They then lease it until a conservation organization like the western Pa conservancy or conservation fund comes in and buys it.At that time,they'll open it back up to the public before selling it or handing it over to the PGC or DCNR.By the time that happens,the property is trashed.We have thousands of acres like that around here.By the time you can hunt it again,it's a tangled mess of beech,striped maple and black birch.

That Seneca property was a gem.They had huge cleacuts that overwhelemed the deer and patches of laurel with a nice overstory of oak plus they DMAP'd it.You didn't see a lot of daylight movement because the deer had no reason to leave the laurel or clearcuts but the deer are there.I could almost guarantee a dead deer for my kid with one or two slow,one man pushes during rifle season.
That sucks to hear and never realized how “dry” these timber companies and investment corps bleed the property. But not surprised either. When these companies do lease on huge timber like this, how is it even policed? Seems like it would very hard to do, let alone anyone having interest once they have your $. Then up north, having to worry about ATV and such continuously raising hell! That’s a tough pill.
Once it’s bled, what’s leftover doesn’t sound like much for habitat (I am not talking the clearcuts).

· Registered
6,639 Posts
That sucks to hear and never realized how “dry” these timber companies and investment corps bleed the property. But not surprised either. When these companies do lease on huge timber like this, how is it even policed? Seems like it would very hard to do, let alone anyone having interest once they have your $. Then up north, having to worry about ATV and such continuously raising hell! That’s a tough pill.
Once it’s bled, what’s leftover doesn’t sound like much for habitat (I am not talking the clearcuts).
At least around here,the locals get together with a bunch of guys,lease the property and police the heck out of it.About 16 years ago,I got into once of these groups.It was about $200/yr and it encompassed about 4k acres that were stretched over 5 different chunks.Some of the guys hunted but it was basically a place to ride ATV's and camp.To make money.they even had poker runs on some of the bigger tracts lol.You didn't want to get caught trespassing though.They'd have you arrested.I got out when they wouldn't give access to an old guy to pick leeks.Every bit of that land has been sold and is now open to the public again.The habitat is crap though.

· Registered
34,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
The season is definitely right around the corner… Driving through Pipersville and saw a sign for deer corn.

· Registered
4,129 Posts
My license finally arrived. What County Treasurer does everyone send their doe tag application to?

· Registered
34,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #418 ·
I gave up on the Chesco courthouse. Once 2nd round hits, seems all their employees are on vaca and applications can take 2+ weeks to process. Just another reason to take this process out of the hands of the counties and let the PGC handle it their way.

· Registered
4,129 Posts
I grew up sending it to Tioga County and they are super slow. i then lived in Beaver County and they aren't much better. Last year I sent to Montgomery County and got my tag quite a bit faster.

401 - 420 of 9121 Posts