Archery Talk Forum banner
4701 - 4720 of 9115 Posts

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
My wife and I were out walking our dogs around in our pasture at about 3:00-3:30 today.

In the 45 minutes or so that we were out there, I heard one shot so far off in the distance that you could barely hear it.

It was a very quiet opening day.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
About 30 minutes before dark I missed a shot on a doe. It was on a supper big one, 207 yards , offhand.

I know that is pretty far for an offhand shot but I can group my 308 in a 8- 12 inch circle at 200.

I looked all over, no blood , no hair. Did find were the bullet impacted the ground.

Followed were she ran for about 75 yards with no bloom on the snow.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,705 ·
I know not everybody has checked in but from everything I’ve read here on AT and on a Pennsylvania hunting page on Facebook, it has been a fairly slow day for most. Many of you have probably seen in this thread I’ve been keeping track of what is rated as a good day for hunting and peak movement times based on game movement calendars and corresponding barometric pressure. Today is a one star rating day (1 out of 4) on the game movement calendar and barometric pressure was below 30 which together equates to a slow day… Tomorrow is rated to be pretty much the same as today.

Hoping that the deer will buck that trend and be the anomaly.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
We had a few more deer come out this afternoon. Our day total was 7. Last deer was a buck at about 125-150 yards. We could see forks but no brows at that range. I wish he would have came closer. She's killed a few does but never a buck. She would have been thrilled.
Back at it tomorrow until 10am then she heads back for home.

·
<------Reese
Hoyt Ventum 33 and KI Swat X1
19,473 Posts
I know not everybody has checked in but from everything I’ve read here on AT and on a Pennsylvania hunting page on Facebook, it has been a fairly slow day for most. Many of you have probably seen in this thread I’ve been keeping track of what is rated as a good day for hunting and peak movement times based on game movement calendars and corresponding barometric pressure. Today is a one star rating day (1 out of 4) on the game movement calendar and barometric pressure was below 30 which together equates to a slow day… Tomorrow is rated to be pretty much the same as today.

Hoping that the deer will buck that trend and be the anomaly.
That’s interesting. When is the next 3 or 4 star day?

·
Registered
33,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,709 ·
That’s interesting. When is the next 3 or 4 star day?
end of this coming week and through Sunday, December 5… (12/5 a day we cannot hunt). But Thursday through Saturday should be better days. I haven’t been paying attention to this very long but I am starting to see a pattern. Barometric pressure appears to be a factor but for anybody who has paid attention to BM, This may not come as a surprise. BM above 30 equates to better movement

Rectangle Font Tints and shades Technology Electronic device
Font Rectangle Tints and shades Pattern Symmetry
Font Pattern Tints and shades Rectangle Paper

·
Registered
33,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,710 ·
And barometric pressure starting to ramp up on Monday, December 6 so even though it’s not initially rated a top day, the high pressure might help offset. Just some things to keep an eye on and see if you notice any correlation between deer movement and this data.

Black line at the bottom of the graph shows barometric pressure. Weather underground is a really good site if you want to get more detailed weather data.
Rectangle Blue Slope Organism Font

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
I had 7 does between 8:30 & 9am work up the point I was sitting on in 4D, then 2 more around noon that was it. Have a doe tag but opener isn't the day to fill it when there's a buck tag to be filled too.

Very few shots, nothing close. Of the camps up here I heard of 2 bucks getting shot. Wind was brutal first half the day

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Pay It Forward
26,462 Posts
3 hunting with us

My cousin who took a buck in archery dropped two doe before 9

I saw 11 doe and two buck, both buck legal, passed on one, studied the other too long and didn’t have a chance if I wanted it so you know it wasn’t great. Could have shot 8 of the 11 doe no issue.

My brother had a spike camp out on front of him for a bit.

My brother and I didn’t hunt the evening….not sure why he changed his mind, I just quickly became unmotivated for several reasons as the rest of the day evolved.

Actually drove home to avoid the storm…apparently 5-7” starting at midnight tonight through 8AM on Monday….didn’t want an already 4.5 he drive evolving into a 7 hour drive or worse.

10 hours of driving for a 5 hour hunt….

Can’t remember a time since I was a kid when I heard that much shooting…some were so close my brother and I thought it was each other AND we were on our private ground? Have a feeling there was a lot of I see hair, shoot…didn’t even have to be brown this year in 3A.

There is no doubt in my mind that there were a few out feeding in the cut corn at first light and a team of guys opened fire before legal shooting time. There were at least two maybe three different calibers firing off at the same time. I could see the neighbors over there doing one of those; OK everybody ready on three.

Digital road signs all along 15, 180 , and northern part of 80 all warning of impending winter weather…and the forecast here on Aston for tomorrow is 52 degrees

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
end of this coming week and through Sunday, December 5… (12/5 a day we cannot hunt). But Thursday through Saturday should be better days. I haven’t been paying attention to this very long but I am starting to see a pattern. Barometric pressure appears to be a factor but for anybody who has paid attention to BM, This may not come as a surprise. BM above 30 equates to better movement

View attachment 7510133 View attachment 7510134 View attachment 7510135
Star rating on solunar tables are typically highest in and around the full moon and new moons.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,712 Posts
Be sure to pace yourself there AJ… You Gotta make that last until dark.

Sitting in the car enjoying the bottom half of my Wawa 20 ounce before heading out to spend the day being buffeted by the wind. Not necessarily cold enough for it but I brought along the Cabela’s Berber fleece with windshear. Either that or the coveralls suit… Just not sure which one yet.

Good luck everybody and stay safe.
Sandwich's actually made it till 11:30 and the choco pretzels till after noon. Didn't eat anything else....strange...even for me.

First shot was at 6:52. Really surprised by that.
I was surprised too...first shot heard wasn't until 6:55am

This happen over 25 years ago.....Too me...I realized best times too hunt..and safest...Season Bowhunter always now...If I can find right hunter I have alot good land too share.Tuff too find dedicated bowhunter willing too walk...I walk two mile aday year round..for this..
These rifles that can shoot as far as you can see..Thats where it gets dangerous...You have know idea the hunter behind the tree that far away....Should be like Iowa,,,Shot gun slug only...STAY SAFE BOWHUNTERS
You do realize that not every hunter shoots hundreds of yards or does so with no regard for what's beyond the target...right???

Reactions: vonfoust

·
Registered
33,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,718 ·
Sandwich's actually made it till 11:30 and the choco pretzels till after noon. Didn't eat anything else....strange...even for me.

I was surprised too...first shot heard wasn't until 6:55am

You do realize that not every hunter shoots hundreds of yards or does so with no regard for what's beyond the target...right???
I see a new episode of “PA Hunters Unscripted” in the near future.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,712 Posts
Was a slow day for me and dad...at least the first half anyway. I was just about to radio him at 11:35am and see if he saw anything when the 50th shot for the day rang out....and it was his.
Turned out 4 doe got in behind him before he knew it, he rushed the shot.......and missed!

I ended up seeing 9 doe and 2 fawns...all in the pm from around 12:30 till dark. Took a big a doe, pictured below with about a 37yd shot at 1:32pm. She didn't go 20yds but of course she had to "go to water".

I counted 92 shots heard for the entire day, most were probably over 1/2 a mile and further away while only a handful were close. Farmers I associate with didn't hunt much today but managed to get a doe and missed a few including a nice 6pt and another buck described as being massive. I told them to send it my way but you know how that goes.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
I see a new episode of “PA Hunters Unscripted” in the near future.
Is that gonna be anything like that "Real Housewives" thing?

Cause if I have to look at these guys, catting around in tight camo coveralls and high rubber boots, going to happy hours eating Vienna sausages on little toothpicks and drinking Bud Light in real glasses, trying to outdo each other..... I'm out. 🤯

4701 - 4720 of 9115 Posts