4761 - 4780 of 9031 Posts

·
Perry Hunter
2,641 Posts
Reactions: nicko

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Good luck Cbb….what grains and bullets you using in 243? Curious, I bought one a few years back for my daughter (Howa) and she hadn’t taken much to it and so I used it a few times and killed 2 so far (2 for 2)…. Nice gun, just not my first pick with all guns I have. Don’t rifle hunt a lot, but the gun is really nice and light. Use it as a predator gun actually and it’s been pretty deadly.
You could say it is a good predator

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
32,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,764 ·
Well despite today being a 1 star day according to the game movement calendar, movement was good through 8am. I saw 3, my buddy 6, and his son 1. No complaints.

·
Registered
20,723 Posts
warning-archery related 😬

Sat for a couple hours this afternoon on a nice mild day reminiscent of early November here in 5C.
Saw more deer than anticipated, does and fawns early, none close.
With about 15 minutes of useable light left I had 4 bucks together in a cut hay field, well out of range. Two of them bumped heads for a bit. The other two were quite a bit bigger with one a certain shooter. He remained close to cover and was hard for me to get glass on. It was awesome to see bucks moving about together again.

·
Pay It Forward
26,424 Posts
That’s awesome Matt…I went out this morning in Pottstown with the Arabian…passed on a doe and her yearlings…a forkie passed through as well around 10:45…was down by 11:30 and didn’t get back out this afternoon.

Raking leaves has to be the most thankless job in the universe…especially when none of your neighbors do it

·
Registered
20,723 Posts
Joe~ Arabian?

I have too many hours into leaves this year. For the most part I cut/mulch them on one direction with the zero turn into piles. Then rake onto a tarp to drag away.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
32,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,770 ·
That’s awesome Matt…I went out this morning in Pottstown with the Arabian…passed on a doe and her yearlings…a forkie passed through as well around 10:45…was down by 11:30 and didn’t get back out this afternoon.

Raking leaves has to be the most thankless job in the universe…especially when none of your neighbors do it
How did the group make out this weekend up in Potter?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts

A big Stihl backpack blower is your best friend. I've helped my brother with tree removal jobs and they (commercial backpack blowers) cut cleanup time by 4x at least.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Are we allowed to bring archery into the woods during rifle? As I sit here preparing for tomorrow, I have no desire to take the rifle. Being able to kill that buck from any distance just doesnt get me excited
I did it for many years as a teenager and into my 20s.

I hunted exclusively with my bow, regardless of the season.

It was always fun showing up for group hunts with a bow, dressed in orange, while everybody else had a rifle. I got laughed at a lot. 😄

I only started picking up a firearm again to spend more time actually hunting with my dad.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Good luck Cbb….what grains and bullets you using in 243? Curious, I bought one a few years back for my daughter (Howa) and she hadn’t taken much to it and so I used it a few times and killed 2 so far (2 for 2)…. Nice gun, just not my first pick with all guns I have. Don’t rifle hunt a lot, but the gun is really nice and light. Use it as a predator gun actually and it’s been pretty deadly.

Load of choice is 43 gr of 4350 under an 85gr Sierra Spitzer. It's a hammer on deer. Tonight while getting ready I found some of my grandpaps old reloads. 85gr Sierra hollow point so I took those with me. Shot the doe at about 165 yards across the cut. She took 3 jumps and flipped ass over tin cups. Hear and lungs pictured for reference. The heart was sloshing around in the chest when I gutted her. I'm really liking paps little 243...

I no sooner gutted her and my phone was ringing. One of son's friends I've been helping was in one of my stands about a mile away and he shot a buck. So I headed over to help him as we were losing light fast. He got a nice 8pt.
Snow Vertebrate Mammal Twig Freezing
Snow Branch Paint Brick Freezing

Chainsaw Wood Hunting Freezing Workwear

4761 - 4780 of 9031 Posts