Archery Talk Forum banner
4781 - 4800 of 9115 Posts

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,712 Posts
Barely any wind and about an inch of snow on the ground today!

First deer seen was a little after 7am, a doe. 2nd doe appeared like a ghost off to my left already at 20yds and coming right at me right at 8am...I grabbed my camera instead of the gun for whatever reason and took a pic when she stood at 12yds.

10:30 I had 4 doe come in single file. I took one last look to see if anything was behind them before putting a hole through both lungs of the lead doe at 18yds. 6 minutes later 2 of them came back trying to figure out what had happened...then a 3rd...a 4th and a 5th deer....all doe.

Snow all but gone by late afternoon. If I Was hunting squirrels I think I would have had my limit in minutes, they were running around all damn day in droves.
Saw 2 guys walk in near me at noon and we saw vehicles pulled off in all kinds of places today, more then yesterday by far. Counted 37 shots for the day, most not very close though.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Well despite today being a 1 star day according to the game movement calendar, movement was good through 8am. I saw 3, my buddy 6, and his son 1. No complaints.
Nicko that game movement calendar doesn’t take into account deer being bumped by other people. You can throw that thing out come gun season.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,712 Posts
Anyone else not shoot a deer yet🙁
I know a few guys that are waiting for a buck and have passed doe, basically not wanting to deal with one just yet. My dad on the other hand shot a branch in the archery season instead of a doe and basically snap shot on his chance yesterday. Funny thing he divulged today about yesterday's shot is.... he was catnapping when those doe came in. He's already hard of hearing so between the wind and him sleeping it's no wonder he couldn't have heard 4 deer come running to him. :ROFLMAO:

Try not to get too discouraged. Definitely been a few seasons where I didn't get quality chances or see many deer till the last day of the gun season, if memory serves me right I killed a buck on the last day last year (as well as a doe) and in the that heavy rain on the last day the year before. Years back I ended up killing one during the last hour of the last day. You never know if or when things might go your way so you gotta keep at it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Are we allowed to bring archery into the woods during rifle? As I sit here preparing for tomorrow, I have no desire to take the rifle. Being able to kill that buck from any distance just doesnt get me excited
If you don't know the answer to that question.... you really should read the book that came with your license. Or go to the digital version
PA Hunting and Trapping Digest

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
BM I see more deer on public then I ever seen private in PA..Maybe more then most see on private here..Know one wants too hike in deep...
We get it. You are the most hardcore, top dog alpha hunter there is on this site. At this point I full well expect that you will be on the 2022 thread chastising us for not using an atlatl.
As for my story this weekend, I didn't "hike in deep" and spent the better part of the weekend hoping others would score. Our group only came away with one doe for the weekend. Deer movement was non-existent. My son found a few but they didn't cooperate and zigged when he needed them to zag.
Very slow in our area. Very little shooting. Yesterday you wouldn't have even known it was gun season.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
We hunted some timber company property that we had some DMAP tags for.We didn't see squat in this area all archery season but we were just hunting doe so we gave it a shot.It's open to the public and we saw more hunters this year than in probably 10 years.It wasn't packed with people but they were out there.I wouldn't say there was a lot of shooting but more than most years.I sat for the first hour and then just moved deer to Jordan.By the end of the day I easily saw 40+ deer but couldn't kill one to save my life.I had my safety off at least 4 times but never squeezed the trigger.Around 1:00pm I put close to 20 deer past Jordan and he killed a big doe.I went out by myself sunday morning and just sat where we saw the most deer and sign.I ended up killing what I thought was a big doe just before 9:00am but it ended up being a small 1.5" spike.It shocked me as it was with two fawns.As I was dragging it out,16 came by me in single file not 40 yards away.We did see a nice 8 point on saturday.It's amazing how you can think there's no deer after seeing practically nothing in archery season but when you get them on their feet,everything changes.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I did see two doe feeding in a field yesterday evening. Couldn't figure out if they were big enough to deal with or not, so dropped down and made my way closer. Come up over a rise with a tree between us, but I was on the wrong side of the tree to see both deer. If I got to the other side of the tree I should have been able to see both deer and have a nice steady rest for a shot.
Slowly start hedging around the tree, as soon as I get to the left side of the tree a rooster flushes about 30 yards out, between me and the deer. Scared the crap out of me, and unfortunately the deer :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Well off the the range today because I missed 2 very nice doe in under 36 hours

The more recent miss was today at 75 yards.
Was a gimme shot.
Very big doe
Aimed mid body as far as hight goes and right behind the shoulder.

After the shot I thought , it is done , it has to be hit

After following it's tracks through the snow for 60 yards with no blood and not hair a called it a clean miss.

This season really hasn't been going my way guys 😔

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
We get it. You are the most hardcore, top dog alpha hunter there is on this site. At this point I full well expect that you will be on the 2022 thread chastising us for not using an atlatl.
As for my story this weekend, I didn't "hike in deep" and spent the better part of the weekend hoping others would score. Our group only came away with one doe for the weekend. Deer movement was non-existent. My son found a few but they didn't cooperate and zigged when he needed them to zag.
Very slow in our area. Very little shooting. Yesterday you wouldn't have even known it was gun season.
I think it may depend on what part of the state you're in.Around here all of the private land get's hunted hard.It may be only family and friends but they hunt it.The public land is usually under-utilized and there's so many places for the deer to hide,it's easy to swear there's no deer.We had a really slow archery season as far as consistent deer sighting go but it wasn't for a lack of deer.Those same areas produced a ton of deer sightings but we had them on their feet.The snow also tells a big story.If we went out and hunted like we do in archery season,we wouldn't see a fraction of the deer.Even with that,trying to push deer around with one driver and one stander isn't always a gimme.It does provide anticipation though.

·
Pay It Forward
26,469 Posts
Pop continues to be BEAST at 70 years old he was attempting to push deer to his baby boy (45) and baby brother (59),,,for the life of me can't figure that one out other than he wants to get out and still hunt around. I wasn't there, but if he did the loop that I think he did, should have been close to 1.5 miles. As I understand it, nothing came of that mid morning effort.

My youngest brother did drop a doe a dark last night and my cousin killed another one this morning....that brings the season total for our land (~170 acres) to 5 and two off of the lease.

our land
Dad - doe during archery
Cousin - 8pnt during archery, 1 doe
Brother - 1 doe during archery, one during rifle

lease
Cousin - 2 doe with rifle

I just got a photo of a skillet full of scrapple, so I am guessing the morning hunt is over and they are back for breakfast. I do know Dad and one of my uncles didn't go out this morning. My youngest brother, cousin and two other uncles all went out to different places.

As I understand it my brother is staying into Wednesday (not sure full day or not), my cousin is leaving Thursday has he booked a Tau-Tog charter on Friday in NJ, my Dad and three uncles staying until Sunday. My middle brother may be heading back up Thursday, I too may tag along if things look right around here.

There are plenty of deer around and some judge success only by what they kill so they kill just about anything they see...I will admit there was a time in my late 20's early 30's where that was probably part of my thinking. Not sure how, when or even why that has changed, but I am glad that it did. I often think about all that I would have missed if I shot at the first opportunities that presented. I don't need a full freezer, in fact, I usually donate most, if not all, of my harvests.

I do find it a bit humorous when the great hunters start-in around a campfire, you those so well-accomplished because they kill deer every year; doe, yearlings, a buck that don't measure a 100"....with tales of their pursuits highlighting their greatness which is embossed on the camp plaque...makes me smile and ironically appreciate my personal choices a little more.

Hard to believe so many need validation from others, but in the infamous words of Charlie Manuel, "It is what it is"..

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
FIL walked a little up at their place in 3b. Said barely any tracks in the snow, only 2 deer shot the whole deer season so far up there. One of those shot Saturday gun opener. Movement is super slow. Been all season. I have pics of good buck, and some during the day in early November, but guys aren’t getting much out of rifle yet. I’m hunting local public here in 5c later today and tomorrow. Taking the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
I honestly don't think I heard a single shot here yesterday. Amazing. Granted, I wasn't outside for the entire day, but if anything was reasonably close, I'd think I would've heard at least some shooting from inside the house.

On a different note, we have about double the snow on the ground today that we did last night. Everything is solid white today. Earlier today, I was sitting in the kitchen having coffee and looked out at our back pasture. Standing there proud as could be, out in the middle, was a beautiful coyote. I grabbed the binos (he was about 400 yards away) and watched him for a bit. He stood around, walked a little, stopped, kept sticking his nose down in the snow, and doing it all over again. I guess he was searching for mice. After a few minutes he got bored and walked over to the edge and off into the trees. I know some guys hate them, and to be honest I have split emotions on them myself sometimes, but a mature coyote is a beautiful creature, and fun to watch snooping around in the snow like that.

·
Registered
20,808 Posts
Similar, not as cool, experience yesterday Pyme. Watched a red fox hunting some high grass along tree line. He did the arcing dive and came up with a mouse or some such little fur ball. No snow here however.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Similar, not as cool, experience yesterday Pyme. Watched a red fox hunting some high grass along tree line. He did the arcing dive and came up with a mouse or some such little fur ball. No snow here however.
Red foxes are much mo' cooler! 👍

We've got our fair share here as well. There is actually a den in the woods between our farm and the neighboring farm. We see them a lot more often than coyotes. I guess they're not as cautious, and don't avoid the fields like coyotes do.

I love watching them "mouse" out in the pastures, doing that high arcing pounce that you talk about.

4781 - 4800 of 9115 Posts