Archery Talk Forum banner
4861 - 4880 of 9115 Posts

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
`
SIR THIS ARCHERYTALK THANK YOU>>>WE SHOULD TALK ABOUT ARCHERYQUOTE]

If you aren’t happy with the content of the thread feel free to ignore it. There are plenty of other all archery threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
So so true.

I always smile inside when guys talk about "hiking five miles back in".

I think "Why didn't you just park on the other side and walk 100 yards instead?"
Well. The gamelands we hunt in 3D has very little parking. It IS possible to get 5 miles back in. Fact: 5 miles is a long way to move a dead deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: perryhunter4

·
Registered
20,902 Posts
Nick, after careful consideration I retract my earlier statement, anyone that can identify raccoon hair in a snowstorm in Potter County is one helluva outdoorsman.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,869 ·
definitely does not look like deer hair. I leaned toward raccoon because the area where he took the shot at the deer, I had trail cameras on that spot a few years ago and the only thing I ever got on camera were raccoons. Been a long time since I had a squirrel in hand… Easily 30+ years.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
A few years back I got my dad into hunting. He never really took interest into it until this year

This year I got him to get a entry level crossbow and we he went with me during the archery season. He was happy to see more deer than he had seen I'll all the seasons before.

Today he was fortunate enough to take his first deer with his 30/30

Wood Flash photography Branch Trunk Twig

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I used to belong to that when it was a lease.I never hunted deer on it.I used it primarily to hunt turkeys but I used to always see plenty of deer.That was like 15-20 years ago though.The last time I was on it,there were about 2 million gas wells.It just didn't seem "remote" anymore because of that.

I had to pick up a TV for my wife yesterday.On the way home I looped around to where we hunted over the weekend just to see if any drag marks were in the parking areas.As I was leaving,I ran into Colleen S.I'm sure you know that she retired and now she's the only deputy in this district.Out of habit,my heart skipped a few beats when I saw her,even though I wasn't even hunting lol.Anyway,we talked for about 20 min and she couldn't have been any nicer.Retirement seems to have done her good.The CWD thing has me concerned though and she verified my fears.We're right in between where they found the last positive deer and the closest elk unit.Not a good recipe.
Ha....Colleen had that affect on many a man. My father in law ran into the new guy Saturday. He said it went well and seemed okay.

15 or 20 years ago ( when it was a leased property) you couldn't walk back to where you wanted to hunt without passing up a shot at something. I still think there are enough deer there, but it is a much different area to hunt. A lot of areas that are very hard to hunt, and with not many guys in the woods to keep them moving, they just burry their head till the lead stops flying. You just have to hunt it different than we used to, and some don't want to do that, so they say there aren't any deer.

Now that the PGC has it, most of the gas well roads are closed. Used to be everywhere out there was within a few hundred yards from somewhere you could drive to. Not so much any more.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
So so true.

I always smile inside when guys talk about "hiking five miles back in".

I think "Why didn't you just park on the other side and walk 100 yards instead?" 😉
Most of the time when someone says they walked even a mile back in, they are exaggerating. SGL87 is pretty big, and I walked a measured 5 miles Saturday and probably was never able to get more than a mile (probably closer to a half mile) as the crow flies from a road in one direction or another. Even a half mile is farther than most want to walk to sit and hunt.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Most of the time when someone says they walked even a mile back in, they are exaggerating. SGL87 is pretty big, and I walked a measured 5 miles Saturday and probably was never able to get more than a mile (probably closer to a half mile) as the crow flies from a road in one direction or another. Even a half mile is farther than most want to walk to sit and hunt.
Yeah, yesterday checked out the huge amount of land owned by my shooting club

Walked about 8 miles, farthest I was from a road was 3/4 mile

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
We get it. You are the most hardcore, top dog alpha hunter there is on this site. At this point I full well expect that you will be on the 2022 thread chastising us for not using an atlatl.
As for my story this weekend, I didn't "hike in deep" and spent the better part of the weekend hoping others would score. Our group only came away with one doe for the weekend. Deer movement was non-existent. My son found a few but they didn't cooperate and zigged when he needed them to zag.
Very slow in our area. Very little shooting. Yesterday you wouldn't have even known it was gun season.

`
SIR THIS ARCHERYTALK THANK YOU>>>WE SHOULD TALK ABOUT ARCHERY<NOT IMPRESSED BY ANY GUN KILLS
No mention of weapon used but thank God I wasn't trying to impress you. Post a bow kill, get us back on track.

·
Pay It Forward
26,529 Posts
Three of the 6 guys in camp out (one guys is tagged out)...chills in teens, winds 12-15mph, snowing it's rear off...not a single deer sighting by the guys out...very few tracks around.

4861 - 4880 of 9115 Posts