Archery Talk Forum banner

*** 2021-22 THE Pennsylvania Thread ***

297462 Views 9120 Replies 170 Participants Last post by  nicko
I saw the trail cam pic perry24 posted of the buck with some decent antler growth so it seemed like a good time to start a new thread for 2021-22.

In a new segment this year, fullmoon will be hosting a weekly webinar where he talks tips, tricks, and even gives hints as to the general coordinates of his favorite honey holes. 😁
521 - 540 of 9121 Posts

· Registered
4,211 Posts
I have a stand to move and a new one to put up. Trail cam has gotten coyotes, bear, and a few does. I found 3 fawn kill sites so far. Not sure how this season is going to look for me.
Well if you stay out of the basement here you might be able to update us on how your season is progressing :)

(welcome back)

· Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
34,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #527 ·
Going to try the hanging stick setup Joe said his dad Bruce employs with good results. Properly placed mock scrapes are always good too.

Anybody ever tried the scrape dripper‘s? I Tried a couple of those in the past and they never seemed to work out… All the lure put inside seemed to drain out a heck of a lot faster than it was supposed to and I never saw any scrape activity from them. I think I threw all of them away. No need to buy commercial scents when your own stuff works perfectly fine.

One time I did use metatarsal lure on a rub and when I came back a couple days later the tree was torn up. Probably by a 4 point.

· Perry Hunter
2,663 Posts
Yeah my doe tag wasn’t awarded yet. I am not worried about getting one in the first rd, but has me rethinking where I am going to send my 2nd tag. This County Treasurer has traditionally been on the ball on day one, but not this year. I’ll be switching up the 2nd mailing.

Reactions: 138104

· Banned
Mathews V3X, V3, and KI Swat X1
20,131 Posts
Yeah my doe tag wasn’t awarded yet. I am not worried about getting one in the first rd, but has me rethinking where I am going to send my 2nd tag. This County Treasurer has traditionally been on the ball on day one, but not this year. I’ll be switching up the 2nd mailing.
Did you send to Perry? That is where I sent mine and nothing yet.

· Pay It Forward
27,102 Posts
Nick, we just use whatever sticks are in the area. It is best to cut a live one as opposed to a dead one from the ground. Doesn't matter if it has branches or not, but the best results actually come from a single limb with no branches. I highly recommend using a dark para-cord to run between the two trees, there are all sorts of ways to hang a stick vertically, so use whatever works best, but you can wrap the end of a stick with cable wire and just run the para cord through the loop.

If you're going to try this on RY, I'd recommend locating for a well used trail on the downwind side of one of those clear cuts, there are ALWAYS good trails along the edge. Find a spot that you can access and set-up further downwind of the stick. Run the paracord across the trail and situate the limb as close to the center of the trail as possible. You want the edge of the branch about waist high. Just use your boot to clear the ground under it...you can take a leak if you want, but not a critical step. We don't put any scents on the stick itself. Set a camera if you have one, I think you'll be surprised what you see.

Pop's heading back this week, maybe he'll make a video of setting one up and share?

Reactions: nicko

· Registered
2,171 Posts
Bruce, any specific type of branch you use for this setup? I'm guessing the more aromatic the better?
Not really. But you want it to be 1/2" to 1" in diameter. Want it about 5' long. If branch is tapered heavy end at the bottom.
Make sure the bottom end is no higher than about your waist from the ground.

Find a good trail. Better yet a spot where two or more trails come together.

Hang branch so that it hangs down in the middle of the trail.

Open a scrape at least 3 to 4 feet in diameter. This is what the deer will notice first.

Set up should be on fairly level ground

No scents used. Unless you want to pee in the scrape. I pee in mind.

Set up a camera and see what happens.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,459 Posts
Walk into semi local walmart to get my license yesterday. Big notice posted across the counter. " All out of pink envelopes" CRAP! So I call around to four other walmarts ,, you guessed it. Every one no envelopes. Finally found them at a store half hour from me. Funny thing this store had a ton. A stack on the counter, a full box under the counter and a box in the store room. Guys must be going into those other stores and grabbing them by the fistful. Why, Oh, why is Pa in the dark ages when we have the technology to totally avoid this nonsense? I know subject has been beat to death,, OK I feel better now, carry on.

· Registered
4,211 Posts
I used Armstrong as usual and mine still hasn't been awarded. Same as you, not worried for this round but getting to the later rounds this could be an issue. Usually mine is awarded by Monday at 11am.

· Pay It Forward
27,102 Posts
Walk into semi local walmart to get my license yesterday. Big notice posted across the counter. " All out of pink envelopes" CRAP! So I call around to four other walmarts ,, you guessed it. Every one no envelopes. Finally found them at a store half hour from me. Funny thing this store had a ton. A stack on the counter, a full box under the counter and a box in the store room. Guys must be going into those other stores and grabbing them by the fistful. Why, Oh, why is Pa in the dark ages when we have the technology to totally avoid this nonsense? I know subject has been beat to death,, OK I feel better now, carry on.
So very frustrating...I am of the humble opinion that the general community associates hunting with way-back hillbilly's trying to feed their families and offer little regard for what is involved AND I am not only talking about the sporting qualities of the hunt, as much as, the license and tag process, regulations, etc...

I believe I told this story here before, but I landed a property that I could only hold for 2-years. I asked year after year for permission, always to be denied as his wife loved seeing the deer in and around their property, that was until she daughter was diagnosed with Lyme's Disease she totaled her car in an accident involving a deer. The husband called me that year not only to give me permission, but the ultimatum "kill them all". They had no idea that certain tags are needed or that tags were limited. I killed three doe in three doe over 8 afternoon sits after work and was out of tags other than my buck tag. I was on stand in the creek bottom at some point after I no longer had any doe tags and had 5 doe pass by and enter their horse meadow. At the end of the night he came over to the car and was asking how it was going, I told him fine and he asked why so many deer came out of the creek, "I thought you were hunting down there". I confirmed my location, but told him I was out of antlerless tags and there were no more available for the unit. I did offer to bring a few family members out to help as they had tags, but he was very apprehensive about it. I did end up shooting a decent 8 there that year. The next season I killed 4 doe and was plotting a future on great 3.5 year old 9-point, but the following year they sold their property to a new owner who was a hunter himself, so you know how that went for me.

Not earth shattering scenario, but certainly an example of how ill and uninformed the general public is about what is expected of hunters.

521 - 540 of 9121 Posts