Archery Talk Forum banner

*** 2021-22 THE Pennsylvania Thread ***

297455 Views 9120 Replies 170 Participants Last post by  nicko
I saw the trail cam pic perry24 posted of the buck with some decent antler growth so it seemed like a good time to start a new thread for 2021-22.

In a new segment this year, fullmoon will be hosting a weekly webinar where he talks tips, tricks, and even gives hints as to the general coordinates of his favorite honey holes. 😁
21 - 40 of 135 Posts

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Sounds like a great and productive day! Just curious because I also have a spot that’s too wet to do anything with. Is there something to plant that strives in wet conditions that will attract deer? I’d like to plant something in this wet/marshy spot on my property but I do t wonow where to start
If it's marsh marsh and holding standing water there isn't much to plant other than brush type plants, like gene mentioned. For just soil that holds some moisture, this was the low spot as it drains towards a pond and after several heavy rains last week and wasn't dry enough to put a tractor and disc through (we tried and I had to winch out) I ended up running an ATV and a drag over it to try and get some of the ruts we made flattened out.

As to what I planted, I put in WI secrets spot which is clovers, oats, rye, chicory, and rape seed. Clover seems to do ok in the damp spots of most our plots but those areas get more grassy than others and fast. My issue will be if the first rain is hard I'm going to lose all that seed in a wash out.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Scan back a couple pages. Others have had the same problem. Just the latest gaffe in the Pa. doe license process. Don’t worry about it. You have a record of paying , just hunt. It’s been a couple weeks since I was awarded doe license, nothing in the mail yet. Pretty sure it won’t get here. I’m just going to hunt, license in pack or not, don’t care. Not the hunters fault they can’t set up a simple system that works.
I buy at least a couple of non resident licenses every year for one thing or another.. other than western lottery draws, PA is by far the worst process to haggle through, depending on the mail and Treasury office employees for simple doe permits multiple times still seem crazy every year. My new Hampshire bear bait permit was an easier process than getting a doe tag I don't plan to use in PA.

I've been to states with a lot less hunter revenue than ours where I can buy a tag from my phone save a screen shot of the permit and immediately start hunting on the tag.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Last time I was at treasure lake a doe tried to eat a corn hole bag off my board mid game, I had to hit her with a second bag and chase her off.

A handful of lucky buck, a ball point hammer and ghillie suit you could do quite well in there.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Couldn't find a Crispi to fit my feet, have a pair of hanwags banks and a set of insulated meindl comfort hunters.

The hanwags have proven durable, water tight, a bit snug but are almost trail runner light

The meindl have less miles but have been flawless so far and incredibly comfortable

· Registered
6,884 Posts
A gas powered pole saw changed my life for hanging tree stand sets on private, especially when trying to tuck ladder stands into cover.

On the boot talk..

The meindl shoe last of roomy wide toe box, tapered mid foot with a deep snug heel pocket is perfect for me, those cork footbeds are also the only boots I have immediately swapped for after market insoles. A detail I noticed is they place their vortex seam offset and not up the back of the boot to reduce possible rubbing if any heel lift is present.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Has Meindl changed their waterproofing? I went 2 for 2 on leaks after a year of wear just past warranty and it soured me on them. That was 10 years ago buying thru Cabelas.
I don't have any older ones to know and I don't have enough miles to talk durability about mine yet as they are only 3 months and 50 miles in. The hanwags are 2yrs and 200+ miles strong on waterproofing

· Registered
6,884 Posts
I've had some cams go dead the last week, glad I'm not the only one. The primary clover plot in PA still takes 100+ a night but some in NY aren't getting anything that should have daily deer.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Here is the development of a few of the plots we already have planted, 21 day growth of no plow and winter greens. The neighboring farmer was also able to drill 6 acres of peas/clover and 2 acres of rye/clover this week into some of our larger fields.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
I set up like 10 guide gear ladders this year as the owner of the one property I hunt decided he didn't want to hunt hang ons any more so I replaced all his old stands with ladders for him. Was very happy with assembly, weight, full size platform, flip up mesh seat and backrest, adjustable shooting rail all for a "cheap stand" I was real happy but I don't have any seat time in them obviously, I hung all 10 in a single day, that's something I wouldn't recommend.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Wow Taunto you are a beast to do 10 of those in a day! Lol. My family also enjoys these stands, and I plan to pick a new one up pretty soon.
They were all prior assembled, I strapped the stand to the back rack of an ATV and put the bottom of the ladder in a jet sled and towed them around fully assembled to their hanging location. So really it was just pick tree, trim, stand up, strap down, finish trimming.. and repeat

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Had venison burgers last night, it's at least a once a week thing around our place. I'm a big fan of adding bacon, spicy mayo, pickles, sharp cheddar, grilled onions, on a toasted pretzel roll.

I have the whole family from kids on up to my grandma up at the cabin this weekend. Much needed after the week of juggling a busy work schedule, school starting and water in the basement during the storm. Got the kids out for the final deer chores of the summer.

Season definitely feels like right around the corner now that the bucks are shedding velvet, I've already captured sparing and rubbing on cameras in the last 3 days so they are wasting no time putting the antlers to use.

2 weeks and I'll be in NH bear hunting, 4 and it'll be time to start deer hunting where I get to sit in a stand and day dream of turkeys.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
My season starts in 2 weeks in NEW Hampshire for bear, not sure if I'll get out that next week in the special reg area or not but I plan to start archery October 2nd in NY and let my PA property sit until the next weekend.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
I thought I was going heavy when I went from 360 to 420's back when speed was all the rage now guys are doing cape buffalo arrows for whitetails.

I am very happy with my set up and it's performance on deer, I don't do much playing or getting nerdy with my archery set up.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
I mailed for 2 5C doe tags on Tuesday and got an email today saying they were filled and attached with my digital copy. I know my 1st rounder was a bit slow but everything since then has appeared to be filled the day they received it at my county treasurer.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
How many doe tags did you all get
In PA
1 x 3C
1 x 4D
3 x 5C
Also have 2 dmap coupons

Buck and bear tag

In NY I have 3 doe, 2 buck, and a bear tag

In NH I have a buck and bear tag (will only be hunting for the bear)

Most of those tags will go purposely unfilled, I don't plan to fill the 4D tag, I rarely take a doe in 3c anymore and while I have a property in 5c that wants multiple does shot I don't hunt the place often and rarely shoot more than 1 if that. The dmaps are for places I've never even been, I grab 1 or 2 a year incase I want to just do a random adventure hunt somewhere in the state I've never been.

In NY I will likely fill at least 2 if not all 3 doe tags based on volume of deer I see and then will probably opt to not shoot any in PA.

21 - 40 of 135 Posts