Archery Talk Forum banner

*** 2021-22 THE Pennsylvania Thread ***

297578 Views 9120 Replies 170 Participants Last post by  nicko
I saw the trail cam pic perry24 posted of the buck with some decent antler growth so it seemed like a good time to start a new thread for 2021-22.

In a new segment this year, fullmoon will be hosting a weekly webinar where he talks tips, tricks, and even gives hints as to the general coordinates of his favorite honey holes. 😁
701 - 720 of 9121 Posts

· Registered
6,652 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, not criticizing. Just an observation.. Been to Bennezette many times in the fall. I've walked to within 20 yards of massive bulls on many occasions. Tame as a little puppy dog right around town there. They walk right up to the houses, and stroll through traffic on the roads. Have also gone backwoods on horseback , same thing they just stand there even when you dismount. They are pretty conditioned to human interaction.
Bennezette is essentially a petting zoo and I'm actually surprised someone hasn't been gored yet.The same is also true in areas where there's a lot of camps.It really isn't like that everywhere though.The elk can have a big range and they're as wild as any deer in some places.I live at the very edge of of what would be considered the elk range.I get them on trail cams on my property,see the tracks and rubs all over and even hear them bugling occasionally from my house.To date,I've never laid my eyes on an elk within 5 miles of my house,even though they're frequent visitors.Before his untimely death,I knew the one elk biologist.He said he had a few collared cows that they never saw again after being collared,despite being able to find them quite easily.About 5 years ago,we had a herd of 14 move into my neighbors corn field for a week or so,right in the beginning of archery season.i only talked to two people that actually saw them and both times,it was at night with a spot light.They claimed as soon as the light him them,they were gone.The closest I ever came to seeing them was on a saturday morning.It was still dark in the morning as I sat in a climber.I heard a bunch of commotion above me and then a short bugle.A bull came walking past me,within 50 yards, grunting and groaning but it was still too dark to see anything.Even in areas where the elk aren't habituated,it's still relatively easy to kill one,as long as they're there.These elk are grazers and they seek out opening,many of which are old strip jobs and meadows created for habitat.Those are easy to find and as a result,so are the elk.

Just about every year one or two hunters get my name from someone and call to see if I'll pack them out with my horses.I'd gladly do it pro bono but not one single hunter has every agreed to actually quartering them up and packing them out.For some reason Pa hunters expect them to be taken out whole and I'm not dragging an elk with my horses.

· Pay It Forward
27,178 Posts
Been well over a week since my 5C doe tag was activated, no tag in the mail yet. Have had a lot of " lost" mail the past year. Hope this isn't more of it. I have electronic record of it. I figure If it never shows I'll shoot a doe still if the mood strikes I'll just make my own tag. Let the PGC and the USPS sort it out. I'm not going to chase it down. Hopefully it shows up.
USPS lost my damn mortgage payment last month...one of the only bills I don't pay electronically because they charge a $5 per month fee to pay it electronically....so last month I pissed away an extra $41 ($36 to stop payment on the check and $5 to make an electronic payment). I'd rather spend $40 on a Kruncher and a Butt-Out out tool than remedying a mistake like this....

Even though we have a good rate and terms, I am considering a refi, just to get away from the fee mongering....quite ridiculous...I mean Verizon DISCOUNTED my family bill by $40 for going to an auto-pay, yet mortgage company wants $5 for each electronic payment.....

Ok...sorry for the rant.....

Saw my first decent buck in FCSP this morning...been hitting the same general area every morning between 6:20-7:00...I can see the area I located in the spring shed hunting from a good enough distance as to not bother the deer. Plenty of doe and fawn each morning, as well as, some small buck, but saw the first nice one around 6:50 this morning...waiting for the next rain to get in there and hang a camera.

· Registered
8,459 Posts
A guy I know used to take those that drew a tag out on horseback. Actually a guy that used to post here used him. I have been back in the hills with him multible time. Like Doug said, Elk were easy to find for him and would have been an easy kill if we were hunting. Was very enjoyable. He has since moved out of the area. Would I like to draw and hunt? Sure why not, Elk meat is delicious!

· Registered
8,459 Posts
USPS lost my damn mortgage payment last month...one of the only bills I don't pay electronically because they charge a $5 per month fee to pay it electronically....so last month I pissed away an extra $41 ($36 to stop payment on the check and $5 to make an electronic payment). I'd rather spend $40 on a Kruncher and a Butt-Out out tool than remedying a mistake like this....

Even though we have a good rate and terms, I am considering a refi, just to get away from the fee mongering....quite ridiculous...I mean Verizon DISCOUNTED my family bill by $40 for going to an auto-pay, yet mortgage company wants $5 for each electronic payment.....

Ok...sorry for the rant.....

Saw my first decent buck in FCSP this morning...been hitting the same general area every morning between 6:20-7:00...I can see the area I located in the spring shed hunting from a good enough distance as to not bother the deer. Plenty of doe and fawn each morning, as well as, some small buck, but saw the first nice one around 6:50 this morning...waiting for the next rain to get in there and hang a camera.
The USPS seems to be in a mess. They lost a bunch of stuff of ours. Envelopes as well as small packages. Seems any package that hits a Jersey distribution center is a crap shoot at to weather it'll show. Between them and Amazon drivers backing into my leach field and rutting it up We can't win.

Pulled a couple cards this morning. Glad to see what seems to be a healthy number of fawns. A few small bucks. I've got a double main beam buck back this year and he is definitly adding more bone this year. He's only walked in front of a cam once so far. yotes have been spotted in the area but none on cam so far.

· Registered
6,652 Posts
A guy I know used to take those that drew a tag out on horseback. Actually a guy that used to post here used him. I have been back in the hills with him multible time. Like Doug said, Elk were easy to find for him and would have been an easy kill if we were hunting. Was very enjoyable. He has since moved out of the area. Would I like to draw and hunt? Sure why not, Elk meat is delicious!
Like I said,I have nothing against the hunt and it would be cool to kill one in Pa but it's just not my thing.If I ever did put in for a tag,all I would want is a cow tag,.A small cow would be worth it.

When my two kids were younger,the three of us camped in Bennezette for the weekend with our horses.We camped on the right side of rt 255,crossed the creek and did all of our riding on that side.It was the third week of Sept so I had them all psyched about seeing rutting bulls and being kept awake all night by bugling bulls.We saw one small bull and never heard a single bugle lol.There was plenty of sign but we didn't see or hear anything.If anyone needs to hire an elk guide,I wouldn't be your best choice.

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,893 Posts
Put in another good work day yesterday, planted several micro plots, mowed clover, moved a few cams, and did tree removal work for the land owner on some ash and hickory he wanted down. Everything worked up great but 1 plot that had an area too muddy to turn over the ground.

Got the mount home and hung on the wall

**Pics aren't uploading right now so I'll have to dump a few pics from the weekend later

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Sounds like a great and productive day! Just curious because I also have a spot that’s too wet to do anything with. Is there something to plant that strives in wet conditions that will attract deer? I’d like to plant something in this wet/marshy spot on my property but I do t wonow where to start

· Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Sounds like a great and productive day! Just curious because I also have a spot that’s too wet to do anything with. Is there something to plant that strives in wet conditions that will attract deer? I’d like to plant something in this wet/marshy spot on my property but I do t wonow where to start
Red osier dogwood prefers marshy areas and deer love it I hear. No personal experience but I've heard Jeff Sturgis talk about it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

· Registered
6,931 Posts
If it's marsh marsh and holding standing water there isn't much to plant other than brush type plants, like gene mentioned. For just soil that holds some moisture, this was the low spot as it drains towards a pond and after several heavy rains last week and wasn't dry enough to put a tractor and disc through (we tried and I had to winch out) I ended up running an ATV and a drag over it to try and get some of the ruts we made flattened out.

As to what I planted, I put in WI secrets spot which is clovers, oats, rye, chicory, and rape seed. Clover seems to do ok in the damp spots of most our plots but those areas get more grassy than others and fast. My issue will be if the first rain is hard I'm going to lose all that seed in a wash out.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

· Registered
21,910 Posts
Red osier dogwood prefers marshy areas and deer love it I hear. No personal experience but I've heard Jeff Sturgis talk about it.

I have a couple of red osier dogwood thickets, deer hide in it but I have never seen them browsing it, maybe in the hard winter months they do.

· Registered
21,910 Posts
I received my Kudupoint Contour Plus 125’s in the mail. Shot one at 20-30-40 yards. Right with FP’s, silent and great arrow flight. Will be first up in quiver this year. Nice heads in case any of y’all are interested.

· Pay It Forward
27,178 Posts
I have a couple of red osier dogwood thickets, deer hide in it but I have never seen them browsing it, maybe in the hard winter months they do.
Same….deer almost always in it for cover but never seen them browse in it, even from a couple of my favorite stands which overlook it and for which I spent countless hours hoping to catch one coming or going from it

· Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Ok. I think it's most palatable to deer when it is generating new growth. If I remember right Jeff Sturgis recommends mowing it off a foot or two high every few years so it has to regenerate. But sounds like you have more experience with it than I do. I don't have any on my property.

· Registered
116 Posts
Saw my check was cashed and awarded a my doe tag for the first round on the new site. On the site though it says awarded first round non resident. obviously am a resident and all my other tags are listed as resident. that happen to anyone else this year? I'm thinking it was a mis-click once they entered it into the site but not sure if i should call in or do anything to change that. If they took the $6.90 and awarded it you would think they knew i was a pa resident.
unless the new site puts it as you aren't a resident of the zone you picked but that wouldn't make any sense.

701 - 720 of 9121 Posts