Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 135 Posts

· Registered
6,884 Posts
I went to New Hampshire for the weekend with my dad. Had a great time in the White Mountains, I took a sow Saturday morning and saw a few other bears, he didn't get a crack at one but it was great weather to start the season. I spent the rest of the weekend with my buddy up there setting baits for his kids, scouting for deer season, and looking for moose.

Saw turkeys everywhere so I know I'll have to go back next.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Predators are always cool to see, and fun to watch in the woods, I don't want more coyote pics than deer though either. They take more blame than they probably earn when it comes to deer and turkey. They seem to take way more blame than bobcats, bears, raccoons, foxes, hawks and eagles.

I get bobcat pics but never think about trying to kill any, I've shot 1 coyote.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
It was a fabulous feeling morning, at least the moments of it I spent at the bus stop with my daughter while sifting through pictures of deer that agreed.

One of the nice things about live data from cellular cameras is you can really see the effects of weather, storm fronts and wind shifts. Our cameras are scattered from south east PA, the finger lakes in NY up to the white mountains of NH and just about every single camera was flourishing with movement after daybreak this morning. Bucks, bears, does everything was out and about, almost an all day movement day where I had pics coming in until about 1030am and start back up around 245pm.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Man it felt good to walk out the cabin in the dark, feel the cool fall air, and watch the sun come up.

I wanted to hunt some low impact stands this morning and not mess with locations that will be better this evening. I saw a doe and fawn in the first 5min of light, a single doe and basket rack 8 later in the morning. My dad had a single doe at 10yds and drilled her.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Last night's view, I saw about 12 or 13 does and fawns, about 8 of them were in range at least once but the one I determined as the very biggest was either facing me, behind a limb, or facing away so I never got the chip shot I was looking for and the evening passed without seeing any bucks.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
I’m heading out shortly. It’s 65 here 5 degrees warmer at my place up in 3C. Not optimum temperature but I need some tree time.
Matt, you headed to your place this weekend? I'm seeing a 12 degree cool off from Fridays high to Saturday for that area.

I made arrangements for the kids and am going to take my wife up, since my dad and I hunted NY this past weekend I'd like for her to get first sit on the food plot if a temp drop is coming.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
So THAT'S what happens to them....

I always wondered.....
Let's walk through the evidence

disappearance of big velvet bucks

Appearance of rubs when you never see who made them

You can find these old tree shredder bucks with their antlers all worn down year after year in the same areas

And he's all frail and small from being so old and worn out, that from the rut that starts October 1 you always hear about

That also explains why he's always hanging around does

By today's standards that's science and I'm a deer expert

· Registered
6,884 Posts
60 isn't exactly cold but a drop of 10 degrees from today and a very favorable wind tomorrow I like my chances of at least see some deer. I made arrangements for childcare and am getting my wife out for the whole day up state.

We were practicing this week at my dad's and my daughter expressed alot of interest in shooting her pop pops crossbow. These things are pretty slick when it comes to kids. I gave her an aiming point and she just about smashed my arrow.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
It was pretty decent weather yesterday in the NE part of the state just didn't have the bump in movement I had hoped for. 2 fawns, a spike, and two 6pts were all that showed and very late in the evening. The 6's ended up sparing at 12yds but just after comfortable shooting light had passed.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
The very best and most mature deer that do Houdini acts after velvet are starting to show again, mostly at night but they're making the pre rut rounds and it's just nice to know they are around. Another week or two and they might start slipping up and following does by in daylight.

It's also interesting to see the shift on doe spots. Have a micro plot in a doe bedding area, does show up often 3,4 sometimes 5 times in a day but zero rack deer for almost 2 months, in fact it's the only spot a I set a mock scrape that didn't get any attention at all. The last week that plot has younger bucks crushing through every evening and I'll bet the pear tree there has a big ol scrape now.

I likely won't hunt again until Nov 5th but will try and get 5-6 consecutive days for that time period

41 - 60 of 135 Posts