Archery Talk Forum banner
8981 - 9000 of 9086 Posts

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Of all the trail cams the top of the hill overlooking 1 acer of clover is my favorite, I love these evening field filling up shots

My schedule has just been crazy beyond belief and I have not hunted turkey since a quiet opening day. Hoping to get out soon but this might be my least "days afield" in a long long time

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Great bird ty, overall how was the turkey hunting? Just generally interested in the state of the flock across the state

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
It's really hit and miss, from my observation. Opening morning I hunted my go to turkey spots around Pittsburgh. One from first light until 815 and the other from 830 until noon and didn't see or hear a single bird. Up north I saw and heard birds on my parents property, but didn't see or hear a bird on the woods behind where they live.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Any of you guys know the process of registering a kayak. Never owned one before and just picked one up. Going to be using it for fishing.
There are a few different ways to go. First, do you ever intend to put a trolling motor on it? If so you need to register it as a motorized boat. If not putting a motor on it you can get a launch permit at most state parks that have a lake. Or you can register it online at PA fish & Boat and they will send you the stickers.

Reactions: Dstoltz

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Was set up this morning by 5:15. About 5:35 I about jumped out of boots. A Tom sounded off and it seemed like he was right overhead.

Turns out he was about 40 yards in front of me still roosted.

Ended up watching him and several hens fly down. Once on the ground he continued to gobble. But no matter what I tried he wasn't leaving those hens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Think I'll make the hour drive into Pennsylvania tomorrow and if necessary Thursday morning to hunt for a bit before work. I work from home and normally start at 9am, but looks like I can start at 10am tomorrow. I'll probably hunt a spot closer to where I park and save my long walk in spot for Saturday. Hope I can find a gobbler that isn't with hens.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Congrats !! Had 3 or 4 hammering, but when they flew down they headed to neighbors property. With only a short time to hunt I couldn't chase them all over. Think I'll go after them again Thursday morning.

Reactions: Hlzr

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,668 Posts
Dads thinks he wants to try going out tomorrow morning at what we call "the Nickel". Not sure what he's got in mind, but the walk in is much further then where we were the first day?!

Only been out twice so far so I guess I'm slacking. Once on private in Luzerne County and once on public in Columbia this morning...haven't heard a gobble yet.

14 deer seen this morn, deer milling all around me for over 2hrs from before 8am till after 10am. The highlight of the trip came at 10:33 when I heard something off my left shoulder and turned to see a hen coming my way. I wasn't in the best position to try video and I wasn't sure she was alone yet but after 10 minutes solid of preening on a log 18yds away, she wandered a bit further away and I could get away with moving. She went up in a deadfall tree about 6ft off the ground and then to another, much higher and all they way up into the branches. She wasn't near as graceful coming back down...using her wings to maintain balance she looked almost like she was on a slippy slide :LOL:

After that, she resumed coming towards me till she finally spotted something out of place. When she got to 10-15yds, rampant clucking and purring commenced. She got to about 8ft for a while before she finally did a full circle all the way around me and walked away at 11:06am.

The replacement video cam is a far cry from the one I used last year in some key ways, but it does the job okay for now. Some stills from the videos:

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Dads thinks he wants to try going out tomorrow morning at what we call "the Nickel". Not sure what he's got in mind, but the walk in is much further then where we were the first day?!

Only been out twice so far so I guess I'm slacking. Once on private in Luzerne County and once on public in Columbia this morning...haven't heard a gobble yet.

14 deer seen this morn, deer milling all around me for over 2hrs from before 8am till after 10am. The highlight of the trip came at 10:33 when I heard something off my left shoulder and turned to see a hen coming my way. I wasn't in the best position to try video and I wasn't sure she was alone yet but after 10 minutes solid of preening on a log 18yds away, she wandered a bit further away and I could get away with moving. She went up in a deadfall tree about 6ft off the ground and then to another, much higher and all they way up into the branches. She wasn't near as graceful coming back down...using her wings to maintain balance she looked almost like she was on a slippy slide

After that, she resumed coming towards me till she finally spotted something out of place. When she got to 10-15yds, rampant clucking and purring commenced. She got to about 8ft for a while before she finally did a full circle all the way around me and walked away at 11:06am.

The replacement video cam is a far cry from the one I used last year in some key ways, but it does the job okay for now. Some stills from the videos:

Fun morning for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Had a few birds hammering on roost, but when this guy snuck in I felt the need to take him out. Birds have continued gobbling. Maybe I'll still get a chance.

Attachments

8981 - 9000 of 9086 Posts