Archery Talk Forum banner
9001 - 9020 of 9086 Posts

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,668 Posts
Woke dad up yesterday morning and he didn't feel like going after all. I didn't go either and went back to bed.

I did another bike and hike this morn. Walked right into what turned out to be 7 deer at 5:13am. I was rather amazed they left me get to within 15-20yds of a few of them and they didn't spook. As I stood there, I couldn't say what they all were but 2 of the closest were buck. The bigger buck stood up on his hind legs at some tree branches, started making a scrape under it and then abruptly stopped and chased after the next closest buck. They hung around for quite a while even after spooking and kept coming back. Rinse and repeat with 2 other groups later on, a lot of snorting and I ended up seeing around 15 deer.

I was in a spot I typically hear gobblers in the roost from but didn't hear a one. 5:39 I heard a hen do a brief bit of yelping... but that was it. A bit after 8 I had a nearly jet-black fisher come ambling through around 40-50yds out. I'd liked to have gotten some footage of it but the opportunity was oh so brief. I thought it had left when it went out of sight over a bank, but soon learned otherwise when I stood up. It had doubled back closer and was maybe 25yds, seemed as though it was going to pass me inside 20yds before it saw me, but once it did it didn't waste much time getting out of dodge.

Shortly after I think I may have heard my first and only gobble in 3 hunts thus far... around 400yds+ away.

Thinking I'm going to try my luck tomorrow morning again, what can possibly go wrong on Friday the 13th!

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I've been out twice,I called in a jake the first time I went out but won't shoot a jake.Between the weather and baseball,Jordan hasn't had a chance to get out once time.He scouted a new spot after school on friday and saw a lone long beard with two jakes.We planned on going after them in the morning but it was pouring rain.I went out monday,on more of a scouting mission in that spot,HAVING NO IDEA WHERE THEY'D BE ROOSTED.They were already on the ground when I got there and immediately answered my searching yelps.I made exactly two series of yelps and two long beards came strait in all by themselves.Once they came into view,I stopped calling and they eventually just walked away.I have zero desire to kill one but still like talking to them.Weather doesn't look terrible on saturday but Jordan has a game.I can't bring myself to kill one unless he's already tagged out and I'm not sure that I'd feel OK about killing one.I'm seeing some birds in most sots whereI expect to see them in but not a lot.

·
1,668 Posts
I think I remember mentioning that turkey hunting can be full of bad decisions right? Well today was not one of my finer days :ROFLMAO: should have filled my 2nd PA tag between say 5:50 to 5:55 and then managed to goof up a 2nd chance at the same bird again at 8:25. 🤣

I was in early and listening at 5:11am, heard my first gobbling at 5:35. Had a live hen scenario before 6 with a solo tom and thought he was going to come right past me to get to her so I didn't call, turned out I should have. Called another hen almost into my lap and she joined up with a 2nd tom that had 2 hens.

My 8:25 goof was almost comical. I reacquired the pre 6am solo tom and knew right where he was. I picked out a tree and sat it perfectly to get a shot if he came in where I thought, problem was I second guessed my gut feeling and shifted a few feet on the tree so I wasn't exactly pointed in that direction. When I called he answered well enough but his gobbles toned down to just enough to keep tabs on where he was. I say just enough because he went quiet a few times and I didn't know if he was coming or not...then he'd gobble again from the same spot and hadn't moved. When he did come in I had no idea he was on his way and was slightly out of position when he showed up. If I hadn't changed my position on the tree I'd been right on him when he came in but I soon found myself staring at him 22yds away (nice bird with a beard I'd say def topped 10"s), him staring at me and I felt there was no way I would have gotten away with any movement. He didn't spook, though he altered his course to where my gun was pointed towards a mound between us and an opening just a bit further to the right of it. He ended up on the other side of that mound under 40yds away strutting but all I could see at best was the top of his bobbing white melon and his fan. I tried to coax him a bit to my right but he had none of that, double gobbled at my calling and strutted from their for the next 3 minutes and 41 seconds and then shifted hard to my left before I even knew it. I heard a noise in the leaves to my left and turned to see him from the neck up at 22yds again, angling away and up the hill. I was way out of position being a left-handed shooter at that point and just watched him walk away. 1 more gobble aways out and I never found him again after.

The camera sits approx 2"s higher then the view I have down the rib so I didn't see quite as much of his melon as it the cam did. Though I might have still killed him I wasn't willing to try a shot through those weeds.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Well I moved 30 minutes too soon grrr. Was standing by my cell camera and treestand as it was getting light, waiting on that first gobble. I look down the treeline and see what looks to be a hen rooosted, about 100 yards away. Decided to sit down right in front of tree my camera is on. As it got light 2 or 3 gobblers on the other side of the hen started hammering. They gobbled a lot until they hit the ground and then went silent for 20 minutes. They then sounded straight in front of me about 100 yards as they gobbled for a few minutes and then moved off to the other side of the field gobbling all the while. Just after 7 I decided to try and cut the distance. I could see them off about 200 yards, just feeding in the field. Decided to sit down, as moving any closer I was likely to get spotted. 7:30 I get a pic of a Tom back where I was first sitting. Beyond frustrating. Waited until after 8 and with not seeing or hearing anything , figured I'd move onto another property. Head back towards camera and sure enough a hen and that Tom take off flying. Oh well. Part of the hunt. Got set up at another property down the road around 845. Going to stay put until noon. Good luck to everyone else who is out.

·
1,668 Posts
Dad said earlier this week that he wanted to go out today...and we did. 5:18am this morn somebody shot maybe 200yds away from us. Hadn't heard a gobble, so assumed that somehow the bird was on the ground already (not impossible but pretty damn dark yet), they roost shot one or they shot at something else???

Heard a tom gobbling pretty well deep in the neighbors around 5:45, so distant he was rather faint. A few minutes later I did some calls, he seemed to answer and so did 2 other birds soon after that were much closer. A sketchy gobble followed by some tree yelps, maybe 150yds away. I had another guy going with my calling later but never heard a real turkey again after 6am and none ever showed up.

At 9am we hit the property where I took my first bird from (haven't been there since the opening day) and found that there was a decent sized flock still round there somewhere...I'd guess 8-12 birds by the scratching's left behind. Almost an hour into the sit there and nothing was heard in response to any calls. I didn't think I would get to my next favorite area at the property, where I usually have some luck, and I still didn't. Between the 13 to 14 miles I did on 4 hunts this week I really didn't feel like crossing another ravine to get to it. Was a good thing I didn't because I wouldn't have been there for very long. Dad's hip was aching and he was ready to call it quits at 10am.

Wasn't sure what I was seeing at a distance this morning till I snuck up on these 2...

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Dad said earlier this week that he wanted to go out today...and we did. 5:18am this morn somebody shot maybe 200yds away from us. Hadn't heard a gobble, so assumed that somehow the bird was on the ground already (not impossible but pretty damn dark yet), they roost shot one or they shot at something else???

Heard a tom gobbling pretty well deep in the neighbors around 5:45, so distant he was rather faint. A few minutes later I did some calls, he seemed to answer and so did 2 other birds soon after that were much closer. A sketchy gobble followed by some tree yelps, maybe 150yds away. I had another guy going with my calling later but never heard a real turkey again after 6am and none ever showed up.

At 9am we hit the property where I took my first bird from (haven't been there since the opening day) and found that there was a decent sized flock still round there somewhere...I'd guess 8-12 birds by the scratching's left behind. Almost an hour into the sit there and nothing was heard in response to any calls. I didn't think I would get to my next favorite area at the property, where I usually have some luck, and I still didn't. Between the 13 to 14 miles I did on 4 hunts this week I really didn't feel like crossing another ravine to get to it. Was a good thing I didn't because I wouldn't have been there for very long. Dad's hip was aching and he was ready to call it quits at 10am.

Wasn't sure what I was seeing at a distance this morning till I snuck up on these 2...

You get some great pictures AJ

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
1,668 Posts
Thanks, I've been mostly just recording and taking stills from the video that I get. I've missed some good stuff this season so far between not having enough light yet, not being able to move or I didn't have the cam on soon enough. Been fun to do though, never know what will happen or what I might see next.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I took a trip to the shanengo river dam this morning after hearing good things from buddies.

I took a rod with a spinner , as well as a catfish rod baited with a piece of deer liver.

Ended up with 13 crappie ( including a new personal best, a hair over 14 in and little over 2lbs ), I also got 1 largemouth bass and 1 yellow perch.

Bird Beak Peafowl Phasianidae Galliformes

I also got a pretty nice channel catfish, which I was supprised, I heard that there are lots of channels in there but most are small ( caught him on a 2/0 circle hook , if I knew there were decent ones in there I would have felt a little more comfortable using a 5/0 or 6/0 )

Water Glasses Goggles Sunglasses Vision care

All fish were released, every besides the cat we're caught using a Tomas 1/8oz spinner.

·
1,668 Posts
I took a trip to the shanengo river dam this morning after hearing good things from buddies.

I took a rod with a spinner , as well as a catfish rod baited with a piece of deer liver.

Ended up with 13 crappie ( including a new personal best, a hair over 14 in and little over 2lbs ), I also got 1 largemouth bass and 1 yellow perch.

View attachment 7625478

I also got a pretty nice channel catfish, which I was supprised, I heard that there are lots of channels in there but most are small ( caught him on a 2/0 circle hook , if I knew there were decent ones in there I would have felt a little more comfortable using a 5/0 or 6/0 )

View attachment 7625479

All fish were released, every besides the cat we're caught using a Tomas 1/8oz spinner.
Nice! I probably won't fully switch gears to fishing until after turkey season is over. I figure you can fish all year if you really want to, but you can only chase gobblers for a few weeks. Even if I'm tagged out I'll be out with somebody to help if I can.

I like that hat! Do they make a "Catchin' Thunder Chickens" version. When turkey season is over I'd need one that says "Catchin Basses" :ROFLMAO:;)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I like that hat! Do they make a "Catchin' Thunder Chickens" version. When turkey season is over I'd need one that says "Catchin Basses" :ROFLMAO:;)
Thanks , got it when I went to the smokey mountains knife works .

Unfortunately it doesn't say , thunder chickens.

As for your bass hat , it should say "huntin basses"
😁

·
1,668 Posts
Not sure what’s wrong with that fellow…
I thought something was wrong with it initially to, but I think it just found a scent it liked and added it's own to it, just like I've seen dogs do. That skunk I posted pics of during last years archery season was doing the same on the ground and on trees...although it didn't squat and drag it's ass! :ROFLMAO:

·
1,668 Posts
Thanks , got it when I went to the smokey mountains knife works .

Unfortunately it doesn't say , thunder chickens.

As for your bass hat , it should say "huntin basses"
😁
I thought about that "Catchin' Turkeys" phrase before I posted earlier but it doesn't have that same roll off your tongue red neck vibe to it that "Catchin' Deers" or "Catchin' Thunder Chickens" has. I was gonna go with Gooblers but apparently that isn't red neck slang for gobblers like I thought it was. A google search told me they are actually a tiny purple fictional cartoon creature, created by the stress of Shlorpians. W T F!? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: ZDC

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Caught this beaut today

Water Glasses Shorts Active shorts Vertebrate

Not sure weight or length because I didn't bring anything other then my rod and culprit rubber worms .

Id guess 16-18 inches , a little under 3 lbs

Caught him at the lake in Westminster college campus. If your in the area I would recommend trying that place out. Tons of nice 14in+ bass , low fishing pressure ( the only people that fish there are the college kids , most of them just throw worms for bluegill) , can normally get 8-16 bass per trip.

9001 - 9020 of 9086 Posts