Archery Talk Forum banner
9101 - 9115 of 9115 Posts

·
<------Reese
Hoyt Ventum 33 and KI Swat X1
19,737 Posts
The shop ordered it. When I spoke with the owner he told me the string was there he just hadn't put it on yet.
Damn, that sucks. It only takes a few minutes to swap out the string in the press. You might want to go there and have them do it while you wait. They need you there anyway to set the peep height.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Saturday I finally hiked in to some of the more remote camera locations on the very heavily posted lease. 2 cams had padlock hasps snapped off and memory cards stolen. 1 cam was removed from Python and left lying open on the ground without memory cards, ruined. 3 other cameras had been turned while thieves tried to remove them from the tree.

I am so disgusted with this. Respect is gone. Fear is gone. How 2 generations have drastically changed our society is astounding; our decline is like an avalanche.

View attachment 7633106
View attachment 7633107
We leased a big chunk of land last fall.I'm not very territorial and never booted anyone up until this past saturday.I really haven't hunted turkeys much this spring for a bunch of reasons so I decided to head out around noon to see if I could strike up a late morning gobbler.On my was in,I saw a car parked that I was pretty sure others have told to leave two other times.I ended up running into the guy a good mile back in and he was coming from where I was going.I was slightly confrontational when I approached him and asked him if he saw the posted signs right in front of where he parked.He denied seeing them at first and that caused me to come unglued.I felt kinda bad because I could tell he was getting nervous.Then he admitted to seeing the signs but didn't think the road was posted LOL.I don't think he'll be back.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
June 1. Turkey season is over. Is it officially time for the 2022-2023 thread?
BTW . . how the HELL is it already June 1?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I'll be in the northern part of the OBX mid June.

I'm gonna bring 3 rods , 2 for smaller fish up to red drum, another for sharks.

Hopefully going to be catching some Blues and Spanish on a spoon or plug while having the shark rod and smaller rod out.

Should be fun, I haven't been down there in 2 years , but last time my plan worked out pretty well.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,746 Posts
I hunted the mornings of Wednesday the 25th through Saturday in NY, in the same area of public I took the long spurred tom from last season. I heard one gobbling bird on Wednesday morning, his gobbling spread out to one every 10 minutes except for a double gobble, gobbling 6 times in total over about an hour before he zipped up completely. Had a lone hen in my lap 2 other mornings and saw plenty of deer but never heard a gobble again over the next 3 mornings...even after covering a lot of ground in the attempt to raise one.

Many images I got this season aren't worth sharing but here are a few more from the last few days...

Saturday afternoon I was back home, it poured down rain around 2pm and after it quit I asked dad if he wanted to give it a try. We pulled into the farm where I took PA bird #1 from about 4:30pm. We drove down to the far corner and walked about 100yds from the truck in a light drizzle, setting up on the edge of a small ravine next to the field, with a steep bank below us and another ravine to our left. About 40 mintues into the hunt a gobbler answered from over the bank. He didn't gobble a lot but came up the bank, hit the field and strutted for a bit. He looked around for several mintues but wouldn't come any closer then about 60yds before he went back over the bank. I told dad to stay quiet and I backed off 50yds behind him to do the calling. Wasn't 10 minutes later the tom came slowly back up to the field and past dad for an easy 24yd shot on it's way to me. The bird was a good one but not very good for pics as he was soaked from all the rain we had!

Memorial Day I was back in NY but decided to go to a different property where I've lucked out in the past...and was happy to see there was no other vehicle in the parking area when I pulled in. I headed through the woods into a ravine, across the creek, and up into the ridge on the other side with my spot already planned. I had been walking slowly the whole time and didn't hear a gobble by the time I arrived there at 5:18am. Around 5:40 I swore I heard some clucking not 50yds away. About 5:45 a pilleated woodpecker flew out and did some calls I haven't really heard one make before, making me wonder if that what was I heard. I thought no, it couldn't have been and decided to give out some calls shortly before 6am. I was immediatley answered by what sounded like 3 gobblers, maybe even 4, roosted out a head of me not 75yds away. The luck I seem to have at times is unreal!

Soon after, I saw one up in a tree fly down right at 6am and not long after that I had a readheaded bird in front of me at 30yds but I couldn't see his chest with all the plant greenery he was standing in. Long story shortened, there were 3 jakes and a longbeard, gobbling to my calls from about 6am till 7:35. They weren't 30-50yds away most of that time but I couldn't see them. I passed on an iffy 46yd shot and called them in 3 times after they passed by me before they started doing what I hoped they would, head to a more open clearing out in front of me. I had an opening at 27yds before the clearing and when I identified the 2nd bird to enter it was the tom, he went no further, and I was happy to put an end to the mornings frustration. During that hunt I saw 2 velvet bucks. One of them right in the clearing and looking towards the turkeys I was watching to my left. Would have been beautiful pics with nothing between us as he stood there but I couldn't move. He was stud too, massive bases continuing to his Y's. Another great pic opportunity missed.

Didn't get much usable as far as images of the turkeys before I killed the tom, just too much foliage in the way.

One morning, I heard something behind me and looked over my shoulder to see a raccoon not 12-15yds away. He walked up on a log and I thought what a cool pic that would be. As I pivoted to get a pic, one of my vests seat straps was unknowingly pinned under my right hand and I as I turned it dragged on the bark of the tree I was sitting at. It heard it and looked right at me, making for an even better shot I wasn't ready for, and took off like a bat out of hell. Instead of running away through the woods it went up a nearby tree, offering me some "cute" pic opportunities as it breifly stopped and peered at me around the tree, but I couldn't get it in frame before it kept climbing up the tree. I got a few pics of it after, before it found itself a comfortable y'd branch area to lay down on and waited for me to leave. An hour later it hadn't moved and I decided to go for a walk.

·
1,746 Posts
Continued:
I had went about 200yds out the woods and happened on another raccoon. This one on the ground and not aware of me. I slowly and quietly followed it, trying to get a good pic. I had followed it for over 50yds before something very unexpected happened...the likes of which I will likely never witness again. It literally stepped right on a rather large black snake and got tagged for it. It was a surprised as I was I can assure you. Though I digitally missed the strike it's saved in my brain pan. The racoon made another go or 2 at the snake but ultimately, was either too confused as to what had happened or decided it was too large to tangle with. Over the next several minutes it mostly kept it's distance with the snake poised to strike the whole time, the racoon growling and flinching...snake hissing and spitting.

Who'd ever had thought following a raccoon around would have led me to seeing that!

The camera didn't not perform the best in the focusing department at a most inopportune time so most of the images aren't as near as good as I thought I was getting, but for something so rare I'll share some of those...

Gave me chills just looking at this thing

Another very memorable spring turkey season in the books. God willing, what might I see next season!!!

·
1,746 Posts
Wasn't the same without him as my wingman since we always hunted together more often than we did this season. I was glad I got him out again and especially so that we had some luck!
I certainly wouldn't have had much ambition to have been out this spring if he had passed, that's a certainty.

He was out 3 times in total and before the end of his second outing he was really hurting. After each outing he said something was wrong but despite a clean doc visit after the 2nd time out, with the tests coming back showing nothing was, he doesn't want to believe it. He's been told his pain is nerve/ muscle related and staying mobile will help in the long run.
Long road to recovery indeed, with a stubborn man not doing what he's supposed to since he's been back sliding!

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Continued:
I had went about 200yds out the woods and happened on another raccoon. This one on the ground and not aware of me. I slowly and quietly followed it, trying to get a good pic. I had followed it for over 50yds before something very unexpected happened...the likes of which I will likely never witness again. It literally stepped right on a rather large black snake and got tagged for it. It was a surprised as I was I can assure you. Though I digitally missed the strike it's saved in my brain pan. The racoon made another go or 2 at the snake but ultimately, was either too confused as to what had happened or decided it was too large to tangle with. Over the next several minutes it mostly kept it's distance with the snake poised to strike the whole time, the racoon growling and flinching...snake hissing and spitting.

Who'd ever had thought following a raccoon around would have led me to seeing that!

The camera didn't not perform the best in the focusing department at a most inopportune time so most of the images aren't as near as good as I thought I was getting, but for something so rare I'll share some of those...

Gave me chills just looking at this thing

Another very memorable spring turkey season in the books. God willing, what might I see next season!!!
It's a shame you didn't find much wildlife . . . .

:D

• Haha
Reactions: AjPUNISHER

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9,114 ·
Anybody else can feel free to start a new Pennsylvania thread this year. Just not feeling it and hunting right now is not a blip on my radar screen.

9101 - 9115 of 9115 Posts