Archery Talk Forum banner
1101 - 1120 of 9121 Posts

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Even more, I trust Don much more than many on these boards when it comes to trailcameras...he too was a homebrew builder for a short while and has a good working knowledge of what's behind the curtain on these trailcams and also a pretty discriminant eye when it comes to photos. I asked my buddy to send me a few pics from his cam that I mentioned in my post...if he does, I'll be sure to share.
I may give a couple of those a shot. If they don't pan out, I'll just not bother anymore. For me the cameras last year were more a curiosity than a scouting tool. Where I hunt there aren't really that many stand choices so it doesn't matter too much what is or isn't on camera. I had a lot of fun seeing the variety of wildlife out there although I admit I'm now less enamored with raccoons! :D

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,102 ·
Any commercially made store bought trail camera is destined to fail. I like many wasted money on WGI cameras although I did have one, the very first one I bought, that I probably got a good 5+ years out of. My only gripe with it was that it ran through batteries. I was happy with the video quality and audio I got from Bushnell trophy cam HD cameras but the switches on both of them got squirrelly with one not even able to turn on after 1 year. And like somebody else mentioned, all too often I saw deer whipping their head and looking right at the camera probably when they saw the infrared grid light up.

·
Registered
21,136 Posts
Best bang for the buck ever was the Mountie trace cams, I bought several at $15ea, wish I had bought a lot more of them. Day time pics are pretty darn good, night not too bad either.
Plant Plant community Deer Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I buy the $30 Tasco ones at Wally world. I've had pretty good success with them over the years. Got one out now that only has one latch working because a bear chewed off the other one. I've gotten up to 4 years out of them too.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Agreed, that’s one brand to steer well clear of 👎
I won't buy anything branded WGI. I think them and their hunting shows epitomize everything that is wrong with hunting today. "You hunted ma stand and killed ma buck!"

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
We all had Bear recurves as early teens it seems. My first exposure to archery as well. Wish I had shown them more respect and retained them.
Dead on, started out with my buddy’s dads bear recurve. Hunting with my uncles bear recurve. Then got my first compound in ‘86, a bear whitetail II. I still have my first one, as my buddy gave it to me. Now my daughter shoots that every time we shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,823 Posts
I've thought about upping my stable of cams for quite sometime. I currently have and have only ever had 2 in total but I could easily make use of at least another 6. Still haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger on anymore but have recently at least looked at a bunch. I also gave cell cams a thought...then thought I'd need a cellphone (which I've never owned) and monthly plans in some fashion for each to use them, so I haven't done it, although the novelty of getting pics sent to me rather then stepping foot in the woods is intriguing and obviously less intrusive.

Been using a moultrie m990i (gen1) no glow since 2013 and a 2015 bushnell trophy cam low glow (since 2015) with no major issues from either one...but their only generally in use 3 to 4 months a year.
As far as deer getting spooked by cams or otherwise at least having curiosity in them...I think it's unavoidable unless your hanging cams 10-15ft up. Put something foreign in your house around eye level that wasn't there before and most people are gonna notice it sooner then later. ;)

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
View attachment 7454516 I run 20 brownings. And love them. But I bought two of the Amazon cams in the spring my buddy loves his. So I bought 2 at 60 a piece they've been out since the spring. So far I'm impressed
Another endorsement for GardePro

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,118 ·
No matter how many dogs somebody owns in their life, it never gets any easier.

From one dog lover to another, very sorry to hear.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Our 11-year-old hound passed last night. It’s been a tough day. Not an unexpected passing, but happened quickly. Thought shooting my bow would help me clear my head, but no bueno. Gonna sting for a while…

View attachment 7454617

View attachment 7454618
very sorry too hear,,raised beagles and racoon -hounds in my teens and 20's its tuff...pet life is too short..again very sorry...too hear

1101 - 1120 of 9121 Posts