Archery Talk Forum banner
121 - 135 of 135 Posts

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Out of curiosity, got the trial membership to OnX Hunt to see if it was something I could use even though I hunt the same properties in Berks and Potter. Looks like for a single state plan at $29.99 a year it's good to know boundaries and landowners of parcels.

OnX users......what are your thoughts.....positives,negatives, etc.?
I'm big on onX and use it heavily, but I've got pins all over and have all the states. I think a few of the other options have better quality aerials but I had onX early on and have an extensive data base of pins.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

· Registered
6,884 Posts
I don't use any of these softwares and never will (I just don't have a use for them).

But this made me wonder.

Will it provide phone numbers for property owners that don't have a landline?

We haven't had one for years, and more and more households are going that way every day.
No I think that was just a suggestion that's good to have on hand when hunting, OnX will only provide name and tax address. that is often enough to get a landline number online but nothing that I'm aware of is listing people's cell phone numbers.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Opening day was uneventful, the birds that had been on cameras all week were nowhere to be seen or heard at our place upstate. By 8 the wife and I decided to try and cruise a few public spots passing up on any with vehicles or fresh tire marks. About the 7th pull off we found an empty one and went for a long walk. The first call we made got a gobble from the creek bottom but after getting a set up we were never able to pull another gobble or get anything to show. Later in the am we walked up on 2 hens and 2 Jake's just scratching around.

Sunday we were in NY for their opening day, went to public and introduced the wife to the art of getting to the gate first which is simply to get there the night before and sleep in the truck. Wake up, jetboil coffee and into the woods you go. First gobble was 529 and we quickly found ourselves listening to a flock of birds just off public across a private field. We gave ourselves a shotgun range cushion and set up. I lightly worked the flock enough for them to know I was there and as they generally do this time of year they got pretty quiet after fly down. It sounded like 3 gobblers a few Jakes and some hens. Over the next hour I slowly peeled a Jake then a hen to break off and come check us out when one of the gobblers finally fired up and laid into him and got him gobbling after a few minutes he broke and the familiar sound of a bird getting closer with each gobble begin to heighten our excitement. Then I spot him first at a trot then a run straight at us, no time to think as to why I just got ready. He hopped a ditch and sprinted into the woods, 40, 35, 30yds and closing I clucked expecting him to come to a halt. Instead he panicked veering left then right, his panic made me panic a bit I tried to just get my gun pointed at a clear lane infront of him but he zigged when I expected a zag and my shot wasn't close. I'm a stationary target kind of guy and I'll admit I rushed the shot. While I stood there a bit dejected I noticed movement in the field and there stood a hunter. The bird was not sprinting to my calling but instead was fleeing a hunter who must have spooked him trying to cut him off from me which makes a lot more sense that my few soft calls made him react that way or that a bird would run with such urgency to my calls.

It was beautiful weather and sure beat working but I sure wish that could have worked out a bit different.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Of all the trail cams the top of the hill overlooking 1 acer of clover is my favorite, I love these evening field filling up shots

My schedule has just been crazy beyond belief and I have not hunted turkey since a quiet opening day. Hoping to get out soon but this might be my least "days afield" in a long long time

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Went to camp this weekend.Put a salt block in the back yard 2 weeks ago it lasted 6 days before some turned my camera off and stole the salt block.I bought another one and put 2 more cameras up in trees can’t wait to get back up there and see what I find
The economy is getting real rough if people out here stealing salt

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Alright guys I'm not dead and you're not rid of me yet I have been absolutely slammed with work life duties, in fact after opening day I missed the next 8 consecutive days of turkey season.

I'm hunting now on one our mini multi state trips and will have more stories and pictures when we're done than you guys will be willing to read. Our truck broke down so we're stuck in New Hampshire an extra day but we should be on the road by this afternoon lord willing.

Teaser we have seen some turkeys

· Registered
6,884 Posts
You wpuld think the birds would eat them but they dont put a dent in them. Last summer you could literally walk in the woods and hear the caterpillers chewing leaves and scchhitting. After they laid eggs and died the woods smelled like rotten worms. It was terrible
Smell was brutal and there wasn't an oak leaf left in the woods

· Registered
6,884 Posts
Joe the place I hunt in NY has 4 fields totalling 14 acres and let's the local farmer hay it, I think he used to pay something but most years he just trades for favors like having the farmer pull trees out, or put in a new drainage ditch ect since he has the large equipment next door. This year he plans to try some corn and instead of $$ I think he just plans to leave some rows up for hunting.

· Registered
6,884 Posts
So here's the picture version and I'll save long winded stories for the guys over on my turkey hunting form. After a slow opener, family and work kept me out to the woods for the next 10 days, finally I was able to slide away for a week long hunt and remote working the afternoons with my father. We had plans to hit 3 states as I did last year.

Hunting couldn't have been better, we didn't have a single day where we didn't get on gobbling turkeys, even a truck alternator going out couldn't slow us down and just added an extra day to the trip to get fixed while I borrowed a car from a friend in NH. We shot 7 birds in the first 7 days and day 8 was just a quick 2hr public hunt in NY on the way home and while we did get on a bird another hunter's shot gave him lockjaw or a funeral.

It was truly a spectacular time and one I will not take lightly to have done with my father each day, we had 5min flash hunts and 5hr chess matches, and a bird that must have been part merriams as he marched 600+ across the rolling NH landscape in 15min only stopping to gobble.

121 - 135 of 135 Posts