Archery Talk Forum banner
161 - 180 of 9121 Posts

·
Ad Meliora
20,049 Posts
Between the music, gentle splashing of water, and other soft nature sounds, I almost fell asleep. 😴

That buck about the two minute and 15 second mark looks to have some potential.
Not sure if that’s good or bad…I don’t like when videos blare at me, each time their own.

I’m hoping he turns into something decent, that’s good growth for May in our area.

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Not sure if that’s good or bad…I don’t like when videos blare at me, each time their own.

I’m hoping he turns into something decent, that’s good growth for May in our area.
No, it's good. Very relaxing. Not a fan of speed metal music in outdoor vids.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,823 Posts
Speaking of Fathers Day, I found this a few weeks ago and thought of dad. He doesn't drink coffee and hasn't gotten a bird during the last 2 years but I'm sure he would have still gotten a chuckle out of it!

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
33,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 · (Edited)
For Father’s Day, I decided to treat myself to about eight bee stings… Went to the rod and gun club and got the bow dialed in really well at 50 yards shooting nice tight groups. I Should’ve quit there but decided to go to the elevated platform and fling a few from there. Stepped off the last step and onto the top landing and the bees came after me. Felt at least one or two stings on the leg and they were swarming around me. I’m sure I look like a spazz dancing around swatting and flailing but I scrambled down the steps to get free of their swarming and dropped one of my arrows on the top platform in the process. Collected my marbles and saw the nest was being built on the underside of the very top step. Decided foolishly I’m going back for my arrow (we are talking $15 here). Ran up there not remembering exactly what part of platform it was on spun around a couple times, saw the arrow, and the bees were all over me again. Got away with about eight stings at least… One on the back of the head, one on the thumb, one on the back of the arm, and everything else below the knees. But I retrieved my arrow. :)

Pete, not sure if your membership has gone through at Daniel Boone yet but if you do go, don’t go up and shoot on that platform unless you know the nest has been taken care of. I sent a message to the gun club on their Facebook page so they’re aware of it.

I am fortunate to have no allergies so aside from some itchy stings and minor swelling, I’m perfectly fine. But somebody who is allergic may not be so lucky.

I know the saying “with age comes wisdom” but I must’ve been absent from class that day. If you’re gonna be stupid, you better be tough.

I’m typically good for one archery/hunting related bonehead move per year. I’m hoping I’ve gotten it out of the way.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
For Father’s Day, I decided to treat myself to about eight bee stings… Went to the rod and gun club and got the bow dialed in really well at 50 yards shooting nice tight groups. I Should’ve quit there but decided to go to the elevated platform and fling a few from there. Stepped off the last step and onto the top landing and the bees came after me. Felt at least one or two stings on the leg and they were swarming around me. I’m sure I look like a spazz dancing around swatting and flailing but I scrambled down the steps to get free of their swarming and dropped one of my arrows on the top platform in the process. Collected my marbles and saw the nest was being built on the underside of the very top step. Decided foolishly I’m going back for my arrow (we are talking $15 here). Ran up there not remembering exactly what part of platform it was on spun around a couple times, saw the arrow, and the bees were all over me again. Got away with about eight stings at least… One on the back of the head, one on the thumb, one on the back of the arm, and everything else below the knees. But I retrieved my arrow. :)

Pete, not sure if your membership has gone through at Daniel Boone yet but if you do go, don’t go up and shoot on that platform unless you know the nest has been taken care of. I sent a message to the gun club on their Facebook page so they’re aware of it.

I am fortunate to have no allergies so aside from some itchy stings and minor swelling, I’m perfectly fine. But somebody who is allergic may not be so lucky.

I know the saying “with age comes wisdom” but I must’ve been absent from class that day. If you’re gonna be stupid, you better be tough.

I’m typically good for one archery/hunting related bonehead move per year. I’m hoping I’ve gotten it out of the way.
Glad your ok....That happened too me up MT. Stepped on them....I was rolling and getting sting...Sat too catch my breath...Felt something crawling on my neck..BAM sting again...like you..Years ago

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,823 Posts
Happy Fathers Day Nick! Sounds like one you won't soon forget...:LOL:

Last time I got stung more then once was when I was a teenager. Friend and I went fishing a creek and stepped on a ground bee nest. Maybe stepped in it and stirred them up on the way down the creek and didn't know it but we didn't fair so well going back up stream. After submerging in the nearest hole for a bit we ran about another half mile back to my grandma's house, in and out of the creek. I had taken off after the first one got me but still got hit 3 times. My buddy on the other hand wasn't as of fleet of foot and got hit 7 times, still had one under his hat that made it's presence known for sting #8 after we got back to the house. To the good ol' days! ;)

Reactions: nicko

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Real fun weekend at Meadville Field Archers for their Traditional Rendezvous, well aside from the storms that rolled through Saturday night, lol! Wasn't sure how dry we were going to be by morning but the old tent pulled through :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,200 Posts

Still waiting for my membership but . . good to know.
And admit it. For at least a few seconds you considered launching a flaming arrow into the nest. Right?

Funny story. Years ago at an archery club I used to be a member of, there was a giant wasp nest in one of the field targets. I showed up one day and all the older guys said "Pete can run fast. Let's get him to do it". I looked around and said "Do what?" It seems the master plan was to pour gasoline or some such chemical over the hornet nest while it was still cool in the morning and run away. Okay. I'm game. I'm not really afraid of bees. So I take the coffee can full of gas and head out only to find an entourage of old men following me. I said "I thought you guys were afraid of the bees?" Clearly they wanted to watch the show. So I poured the gas over the target and . . . absolutely nothing happened. Regardless, I dropped the can and started waving and slapping violently and yelled "Sonuvabitch!" I turned to watch and those old men would have been Usain Bolt in the first 50 yard. Back at the club house I said "I thought you guys ran too slow?"

Reactions: nicko

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
My current entertainment is watching the buzz on a local social page with the hand wringing and worry about a small bear that has been coming into yards in the Boyertown area. I had to check the pics a couple times to make sure it didn't say Godzilla was visiting. And I'm not sure why the local authorities recommend calling 911. I wonder what these people would do if they knew how many much bigger bears were in the area? Maybe not the numbers that are in the Poconos . . but they are there.

161 - 180 of 9121 Posts