Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to purchase a used bow for a good buddy in hopes of giving him the archery bug…
I am currently able to acquire either of the above mentioned bows for about the same price, but I’m a bit out of the loop with all the current offerings on the market so I could use some input. Which would you rather receive for your first bow?
Im still open to considering other suggestions as well. My friend is an adult male lefty with a 29-30”ish draw btw - Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
To be honest, the best experience for your buddy from my own experience is to go to a pro shop and have a look, possibly shoot some bows, getting a feel for the sport.

Last thing you want is a budget set up no experience gets pissed off and hangs it up after a week.

That's exactly what happened to me, than took a few more years before I said stuff it and went to my nearest pro shop got some lessons.

Got a set up wasn't flash bear species long draw was about $650 nzd ready to shoot, after a month or two upgraded and less than 2 years later I upgraded again and loving it.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Being a lefty and walking into a bow shop will be a challenge typically not many lh modelson the shelves especiallyin these times. Both of those choices are solid and will get him shooting . Not sure id pay $300 for a 10yr old bow that wasn't a flag ship model seams little over priced to me.

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
1,720 Posts
The best gift is allow him to shoot both bows and left him decide which one feels best for him. If the 2021 is new, non current stock, it will come with a factory warranty. The Diamond bow is way more adjustable as well. You are a stellar friend. (y)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree with allowing him to decide which is best, ideally with a trial. As a beginner, he may have no idea what he is looking for though, and a few shots may not be enough.

I've owned and shot an Assassin for the last 10 years a moderate amount. It's tough and looking brand new still. Tunes fine. The draw cycle took me a little getting used to but is acceptable; just ensure the draw stop is set accurately. Solid back wall. I don't see a reason to buy a newer bow just yet.

I can't speak for the Diamond Edge 320. Good on you for helping out!

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
The Diamond edge is for someone still growing, you are giving up a good back wall and speed (I think they are rated around 310 fps) great for beginners that will increase poundage and draw length every year. The accessories that come with them are junk. Left hand makes it more challenging. I would look at the classifieds left hand section. I would like an older Xpedition or a Prime Centergy, great deals out there on the used market.
What will he be shooting with this bow, Strictly target, Hunting, 3D?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you kindly to all of you who have taken the time to contribute to this post, I appreciate all the advice!

Test shooting these bows is not a practical option unfortunately… our closest “pro-shop” is a 1+hr drive one way, and as jk918 mentioned good luck finding any sort of left handed bows available in stock to test (aside from the Diamond). I am hoping to combine my personal experience along with all of your input in order to make a good choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts