Archery Talk Forum banner

*** 2022-23 THE Pennsylvania Thread ***

230561 5941
Well . . since I mentioned it in last years thread and it is June 2 . .here ya go. You know who you are and what to do.

Ecoregion World Map Atlas Font
4181 - 4200 of 5942 Posts

· Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
34,661 Posts
Thats a fine looking stick of wood.. details please!
Browning Hi Power in 30-06. My dad bought it in 1969 for $300. I had been hunting hard with it for 20 years and it looked like it had been hunted hard. Stock finish was cracked and detaching so I got it refinished a few years ago. Shiffers in Hamburg PA brought it back to life.

· Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
34,661 Posts
Just a friendly reminder to wear your safety harness. Had my summit viper totally drop this morning while 18ft up. (Was in the process of climbing and just about to set the stand). Wet tree is the only thing I can think of as the cause- but it’s gone out one other time- so I think I am done with the climbers.

luckily caught the top section of the viper with my foot before both pieces made it down the tree and was able to recover - but not before my face smashed against the tree. Ended my hunt at 6:25 am and got to greet all the late arrivals on their walk in with a bloody face. Slightly concussed but here to tell the story… ended the Bradford 3-day rifle hunt with a bang to the face and no deer. (I did have a shooter buck under my stand on the opener but had already tagged my buck.)
Wow!!! Glad to hear it wasn’t worse.

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,093 Posts
Hopefully it identified as steaks

There are a handful of does out there that are just massive. Hopefully I can take one or 2 of them. Its awesome to get one that big because it's like adding another buck to the freezer
I saw another giant doe in archery of 2020. I think they were a family group of a grandma, her daughter and the daughters 2 little ones, but the big Karen looked like a tank on legs too short for her body and definitely went 175lbs if not closer to 200lbs!. I was ground hunting and they came out right above me, like 15yds away through the hedgerow and I couldn't move a muscle. Out in the field they went and then grandma became skittish as though she knew something was off, as those big nannies are prone to do. She ended up broadside out in front of me at around 25-30yds but she was so alert and I knew she would have ducked and weaved like all hell at the sound of a string twang ...so I didn't even attempt a shot before she eventually led the group back in the woods. I never saw her again and wasn't surprised that I didn't.

One of the farm boys ended up shooting her in the gun season but she got away from him. Dad ended up happening upon her a few days later in a jungle of growth and said she was HUGE.

Reactions: ZDC

2,093 Posts
I am thoroughly convinced a 30-06 is too much gun for deer. My buddy shot her at 7:10 today. Right behind the shoulder and exit wound was the size of my fist with guts hanging out. Great blood trail, but still went 150 yds. Tough critters.
30-06 is quite a bit of gun but the damage a 7mm does with ballistic tips is downright overkill!

2,093 Posts
Browning Hi Power in 30-06. My dad bought it in 1969 for $300. I had been hunting hard with it for 20 years and it looked like it had been hunted hard. Stock finish was cracked and detaching so I got it refinished a few years ago. Shiffers in Hamburg PA brought it back to life.
My 30-30 could use a re-finishing from the abuse I've put it thorough since 94'. She ain't the prettiest tool in the gun cabinet anymore but she don't mind if you talk dirty to her either :LOL:

Not many guys seemed to be out this after but heard some shooting (14 shots). 4:55 through 4:58pm, 3 shots rang out just across the road at the start of the hollow I was in, a few hundred yards away. A similar thing happened a few seasons back but with more daylight left, 15 minutes after that shooting a fawn being trailed by a buck came from that same direction, but no such luck today. If anything resulted from it this time, I didn't hear it coming and it was getting too dark to see it unless it was 50yds or closer.

Was the same spot I intended to sit on Saturday and was told 25 deer, all doe and fawns, came through it that day... which doesn't surprise me at all. Usually a decent spot to see something moving naturally but that wasn't this afternoon, sat it from noon to 5:01 and saw 0 deer.

Began my walk out at 5:01 and 5 more shots rang out between then and 5:05 from 2-3 more distant properties, how the hell they identified what they were shooting at is questionable.

Plant Bicycle handlebar Sports equipment Tree Air gun

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Wood Trunk

Dad ended up admiring a very nice treestand in the woods he was in when a doe got up and ran out into the field but he never had a shot. Sometime after he crossed the road and went to the same spot on a ridge I took a doe from in archery season. One of the farmers took a doe in there earlier today and somebody else took a shot at 1:03pm but dad didn't see anything while he was in there.

Reactions: nicko

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Caught this guy in his bed at 0815 this morning. I was sitting in a stand I hung the Sunday you could archery hunt and heard a branch break down over the hill from me, but couldn't see whatever did it. The winds starting ripping soon after daylight so I didn't feel I'd have much luck up high and opted to climb down to get out of the wind and made it 30 yards from the stand when I took the shot. I saw him on Nov 7 out cruising, but he skirted me never coming closer than 47 yards. After the most agonizing season of my life I'm more than happy to tie my tag to him.
Vertebrate Deer Mammal Elk Fawn
Trophy hunting Elk Hunting Deer hunting Plant

· Registered
351 Posts
I think hunting is dying a faster death than I originally thought.Few vehicles parked,sporatic shooting and even the road hunters seemed to be less enthusiastic.Yesterday was pretty miserable weather wise but Saturday was dead.It doesn't even seem like deer season.
The best thing could happen for Pennsylvania deer hunting is for the number of hunters to be cut in half.

· Registered
2,130 Posts
I think hunting is dying a faster death than I originally thought.Few vehicles parked,sporatic shooting and even the road hunters seemed to be less enthusiastic.Yesterday was pretty miserable weather wise but Saturday was dead.It doesn't even seem like deer season.
That sure isn't the case around here. It's definitely not the crowds of the late 90's, but there is literally people seemingly geverywhere. I didn't think there was many people around in bear season, then when you looked at the tracks in the snow, there wasn't much that wasn't covered several times and there's a lot more camps occupied now than there was then. I'm amazed at the number of out of state hunter's right now. Everywhere you look there's a truck from Vermont.

· Registered
Bear Archery Wild. Team #9 - 9 TInes the charm
2,632 Posts
Caught this guy in his bed at 0815 this morning. I was sitting in a stand I hung the Sunday you could archery hunt and heard a branch break down over the hill from me, but couldn't see whatever did it. The winds starting ripping soon after daylight so I didn't feel I'd have much luck up high and opted to climb down to get out of the wind and made it 30 yards from the stand when I took the shot. I saw him on Nov 7 out cruising, but he skirted me never coming closer than 47 yards. After the most agonizing season of my life I'm more than happy to tie my tag to him.
View attachment 7747306 0
View attachment 7747305
Looks tasty

· Registered
6,627 Posts
I left work early for the first time this year and heard a loud hissing sound as soon as I pulled into my driveway.Two plugs didn't fix it so I never made it out.Around 4:30 Jordan called me to see if I'd help him drag another doe out.Sorry son,You're own your own tonight lol.He ended up having a small 8 point and 6 or 7 doe come past him.

· Registered
6,627 Posts
Awesome bear but that one is going to taste terrible. You have to get them out of the hide and quartered and cooled as fast as checked in and legally allowed. Someone is going to have a cool mount and some rough eating table fare.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing.Bears hold heat and if that fat leeches into the meat,it's gonna be awful.Bear meat is actually a delicacy and should be treated as such.

4181 - 4200 of 5942 Posts