Archery Talk Forum banner

*** 2022-23 THE Pennsylvania Thread ***

238506 Views 6113 Replies 145 Participants Last post by  superslamsam
Well . . since I mentioned it in last years thread and it is June 2 . .here ya go. You know who you are and what to do.

Ecoregion World Map Atlas Font
4201 - 4220 of 6114 Posts

· Registered
6,653 Posts
The best thing could happen for Pennsylvania deer hunting is for the number of hunters to be cut in half.
That's the worse thing that could happen.There's strength in numbers and that strength is shrinking.The number of deer hunters has already dropped in half from the peak of the early 1980's.

· Registered
3,955 Posts
Well, we live in a state where people are voting in favor for our current financial situation for the good of our climate. We are also living amongst those same people who would rather eat synthetic lab grown meat instead of the real deal in favor of not killing those cute little furry friends. Hunting will eventually die off just not in my lifetime.

· Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
27,504 Posts
I don’t think hunting will ever die off. Gov makes too much $$ off of it to allow it. Numbers in our areas are insane. Other places I guess not so much. The mountains got hurt when they killed off all the deer up there by allowing all the doe tags. They stopped that and now numbers are coming back. Down in my area they are doing the same thing they did to the mountains. They’re killing all the deer off and u til people stop buying the tags they’ll continue to sell that many. Once people get sick of not seeing deer and stop feeding them the funds by not buying tags and less hunters they change their tune like they did in the mountains. But until numbers drop and we don’t buy all the doe tags nothing will change. Guys on here and everywhere buy the tags and burn them. That’s great but do u think the Gov cares if u burn them as long as u paid them money for them?? Want to hurt them and get the point across?? Stop buying all the doe tags

· Registered
6,653 Posts
I don’t think hunting will ever die off. Gov makes too much $$ off of it to allow it. Numbers in our areas are insane. Other places I guess not so much. The mountains got hurt when they killed off all the deer up there by allowing all the doe tags. They stopped that and now numbers are coming back. Down in my area they are doing the same thing they did to the mountains. They’re killing all the deer off and u til people stop buying the tags they’ll continue to sell that many. Once people get sick of not seeing deer and stop feeding them the funds by not buying tags and less hunters they change their tune like they did in the mountains. But until numbers drop and we don’t buy all the doe tags nothing will change. Guys on here and everywhere buy the tags and burn them. That’s great but do u think the Gov cares if u burn them as long as u paid them money for them?? Want to hurt them and get the point across?? Stop buying all the doe tags
Scott,the PGC is an independent agency so the Gov't get's no money from hunters other than tax dollars.Hunter and P-R funds the PGC so they can be self-sustaining to manage the states wildlife.Every hunter that we lose is a lost voice when it comes to hunting and 2nd amendment rights.Just look at what's happened to the bear hunts in Maine and NJ.You never want to see hunters lose their voice and eventually we'll lose it.

I live and hunt in the WMU that had the lowest harvest rate in the entire state.Deer numbers did drop in the mid 2000's but it was because the habitat couldn't support them,not because they got shot off.The habitat has rebounded nicely in 2H but now it's going the other way because not enough deer are getting killed.I hunted til noon with about a dozen guys in an area with no shortage of deer.We put several drives on through laurel patches and clearcuts and moved a total of 5 deer without a shot being fired.I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't witness it.My son and I went back out after the rain let up for a while and each killed one within 10 minutes of being out there.Yesterday they hammered them just sitting in stands and on the ground.I'm out of freezer room right now.We've already killed 7 deer and 2 bears.We have 5 DMAP tags left and I'm gonna make sure every one is used because the deer need shot.Most hunters may not agree with me around here but the habitat tells me otherwise.

The decline of hunting is a very serious issue,not just for those who hunt but for the wildlife as well.

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,098 Posts
@ Mathias, I'm assuming you saw that guy on a drive by along the road somewhere and not while hunting, because I'd imagine even you wouldn't pass that up?

· Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
34,780 Posts
Habitat where we hunt in Genesee is thick as all get out. All the clear-cut areas have grown up into 20 foot tall tangles. We still see plenty of deer as long as we sit in the right spots but they can hunker down in the thick stuff and not leave until sundown.

2,098 Posts
So....I know you don't like deer killed with rifles, how about Chevy's? I think you missed a golden opportunity there.
You saw the body on the guy right, golden opportunity to have to take the truck to the repair shop afterwards or have it towed there :ROFLMAO:

2,098 Posts
Between the early heat and a bad toothe I only hunted 4 or 5 days of archery in November. Even after the tooth was sorted, I was only out twice after and passed a decent buck, knew others were around but still didn't hunt more for them.

By this time in rifle season last year I was out for over 30hrs in 3 days and killed 2 of the 21 deer I saw. This season I've been out for 2 days at 15 1/2hrs and could have pulled the trigger but didn't.
Could have hunted about half of Sunday in not more than a light rain at times till it got heavier around noon, but didn't feel like it. Could have hunted today, but didn't.

I'm not sure what my issue is right now but I don't like it. Anybody else ever get into a funk like this?

· Registered
21,925 Posts
So....I know you don't like deer killed with rifles, how about Chevy's? I think you missed a golden opportunity there.
Not sure where all this perceived “hatred” comes from? But y’all carry on.
I don’t rifle hunt or come to an archery site to read about it, but enjoy the comments, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2,098 Posts
Deer number two down for the trip. My buddys son just dropped a nice fat doe. Big bodied deer up here.

I’ve got three hours to see if I can add one more to the total.
Good luck! Are these the last 3 hrs of your trip up there or are they the last 3 of the day.

Reactions: Mathias

· Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
27,504 Posts
Scott,the PGC is an independent agency so the Gov't get's no money from hunters other than tax dollars.Hunter and P-R funds the PGC so they can be self-sustaining to manage the states wildlife.Every hunter that we lose is a lost voice when it comes to hunting and 2nd amendment rights.Just look at what's happened to the bear hunts in Maine and NJ.You never want to see hunters lose their voice and eventually we'll lose it.

I live and hunt in the WMU that had the lowest harvest rate in the entire state.Deer numbers did drop in the mid 2000's but it was because the habitat couldn't support them,not because they got shot off.The habitat has rebounded nicely in 2H but now it's going the other way because not enough deer are getting killed.I hunted til noon with about a dozen guys in an area with no shortage of deer.We put several drives on through laurel patches and clearcuts and moved a total of 5 deer without a shot being fired.I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't witness it.My son and I went back out after the rain let up for a while and each killed one within 10 minutes of being out there.Yesterday they hammered them just sitting in stands and on the ground.I'm out of freezer room right now.We've already killed 7 deer and 2 bears.We have 5 DMAP tags left and I'm gonna make sure every one is used because the deer need shot.Most hunters may not agree with me around here but the habitat tells me otherwise.

The decline of hunting is a very serious issue,not just for those who hunt but for the wildlife as well.
Doug I’d say your right in your area. My area is absolutely mobbed. Too many hunters for the land that’s available

· Registered
4,304 Posts
Not sure where all this perceived “hatred” comes from? But y’all carry on.
I don’t rifle hunt or come to an archery site to read about it, but enjoy the comments, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen....Thank You Matt...We have moderate on this site...Guess they need too step there game up
,,I have know Hatred either..Im christain and like everyone..I saw immature comments about my self and you..
THANKS FOR IGNORE FEATURE HERE TOO DEAL WITH IMMATURE PEOPLE HERE!

4201 - 4220 of 6114 Posts