Archery Talk Forum banner
5821 - 5840 of 6132 Posts

· <<<Aim Small Miss Small
5,364 Posts
I think we're entering a whole new realm of deer management.For a variety of reasons,hunting is dying much quicker than I ever thought it would.I think it has far more to do with a changing society than it does the quality of hunting.There's just nobody out there hunting in this part of the state,other than for a few hours on a few key days.
I told a few people about 10 years ago that hunting would disappear, just hopefully not before I'm pushing daisies.

· Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
34,797 Posts
I used to hunt the public lands around here pretty regularly in the early seasons… The one in Linfield. I don’t even bother with anymore. It gets hopelessly pounded as soon as dove season opens . I would put trail cameras on those lands in August, there are some really good deer there. But once September 1 comes and the shotguns start popping, pictures go down, and ones I get were all at night.

Derr get pushed and pressured …….and adapt.

· Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
34,797 Posts
State game lands number 234 (linfield) in the center of this picture. Look at all the streets surrounding it. And Limerick Township has had their eye on developing the distillery property right next to the game lands into housing. They wanted to put one of the access roads for the development right through the game lands… They will pretty much ruin those game lands if they do that and then all those hunters that flood those game lands will just spill on to the next ones.

Map World Urban design Font Line
Map World Urban design Font Line

· Registered
6,658 Posts
I told a few people about 10 years ago that hunting would disappear, just hopefully not before I'm pushing daisies.
I'm not sure if or when it will disappear but those who are left will have to kill boat loads of deer.We kill about as many as I can deal with in a year but I wish I had the motivation to kill more.I think you'll see basically unlimited tags available in the northern tier within the next 10 years.

· Registered
6,658 Posts
State game lands number 234 (linfield) in the center of this picture. Look at all the streets surrounding it. And Limerick Township has had their eye on developing the distillery property right next to the game lands into housing. They wanted to put one of the access roads for the development right through the game lands… They will pretty much ruin those game lands if they do that and then all those hunters that flood those game lands will just spill on to the next ones.

View attachment 7786153 View attachment 7786153
It would be impossible to effectively manage deer in a place like that.DMAP is really a great tool.It surprises me that more people around urban centers don't take advantage of it.I DMAP my own property every year.It takes less than 5 minutes.

· Registered
4,223 Posts

View attachment 7786153 View attachment 7786153
Is 234 like 200 acres?? The closest to me is about 450 acres and I refuse to go there since it's so small. One or two trucks in the parking lot and I'm out.

· Registered
17 Posts
Last Saturday there were twelves trucks there deer hunting. I took my dog for a run there at 2;30. I past at least 8 different deer hunters set up along the hedge rows while running my dog.

This gamelands has atleast a dozen people like me running our dogs on the property each weekend and that does not count the small game hunters. The last stocking there were litterally more guys than birds released. There were about forty trucks parked there on the stocking day and the next day. It is a great place to run your dog as there are no roads near the fields and there is a safe place to park to get your dog into and out of the vehicle. There are also many dog walkers who are not hunters.

· soon to be up a tree
1,383 Posts
100 acre game lands? I’d quit. No I wouldn’t either. I’d load up and go north or west and hunt those HUGE game lands where I’d likely not encounter another hunter. I for the life of me could not live where you guys do with what you call urban sprawl. Heck I own two pieces of property one 32 acres and another that’s 21. I rarely hunt either of. Those as they are too small for my liking. Both hold deer and some quality bucks as well, however I know that after the first bowhunt on either that I’ve altered the deers travel routine due to the small size of my land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,468 Posts
Lynnfield is a joke.
I’m soon going to be down a hunting property. A big name local developer bought the 150 acres of Private I have sole permission to hunt. The first preliminary survey stakes showed up two weeks ago. A bit disheartening when a triangulation point is driven into the ground ten feet from a stand. I figure it’ll be at least a year, maybe two till plans are finalized and run through the extortion process with the township. After that it’ll be another ugly bunch of townhouses. I won’t have many local options available after that’s gone

5821 - 5840 of 6132 Posts