Archery Talk Forum banner

2022 Michigan bowhunting thread

8085 118
I haven't seen one for the mitten yet, so it was about time to get one started. I'm not traveling outside MI this fall for hunting, so it will be a home-grown season. My good friend in the SW area near the IN border has some good bucks on trail cam all summer and reported he is still seeing them. A bit over one week to go and I am gettting stoked.

Fall turkey opened a week ago and I hope to finally get out in the woods later this afternoon.

Post up your trail cam pix, stand photos and of course success pix from hunting in Michigan....
61 - 80 of 119 Posts

· Premium Member
302 Posts
Weather is the Mitt has been fantastic! What has not been fantastic is the deer sightings. 3 yearlings, 1 button buck, and 2,562,894 squirrels. State land it pretty slow. Most of my fellow archers are hunting safety zones and state land property they have private backdoor access to. Only brief words of success here and there. My old haunts are not producing the sign and sightings they usually do. Deercams are just squirrels and turkeys. Weird one this year so far!

· Registered
Solution/Insanity CPX/HHA Tetra//Hexx 260, Carter Too Simple
1,211 Posts
Still haven't made it out. Winds were bad for evening food this weekend. I hope everything pans out for next week so all I have to offer is trail cameras. Movement is increasing every day.

Deer Organism Elk Flash photography Black-and-white

Flash photography Deer Tree Black-and-white Fawn

Plant Black Flash photography Branch Natural landscape

Atmosphere Vertebrate Plant Mammal Style

· Registered
30,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Weather is the Mitt has been fantastic! What has not been fantastic is the deer sightings. 3 yearlings, 1 button buck, and 2,562,894 squirrels. State land it pretty slow. Most of my fellow archers are hunting safety zones and state land property they have private backdoor access to. Only brief words of success here and there. My old haunts are not producing the sign and sightings they usually do. Deercams are just squirrels and turkeys. Weird one this year so far!
Opening weekend was picture perfect in regards to weather and moon phase on my buddy's farm in the SW area of the mitten, but movement was indeed slow. The nice bucks he had on cam all summer have gone AWOL. This past Friday night I finally saw some deer.....18 actually but out on a huge alfalfa field where there were very safe from a lurking bowhunter. Last evening I hauled in my Cougar Claw climber for the first time this season and didn't see a thing. Trail cams are getting turkeys and small critters, plus the random deer.....but hopefully things pick up in the next couple weeks. Supposed to have rain moving in for the next few days, which is inevitable for MI.

· Premium Member
302 Posts
Opening weekend was picture perfect in regards to weather and moon phase on my buddy's farm in the SW area of the mitten, but movement was indeed slow. The nice bucks he had on cam all summer have gone AWOL. This past Friday night I finally saw some deer.....18 actually but out on a huge alfalfa field where there were very safe from a lurking bowhunter. Last evening I hauled in my Cougar Claw climber for the first time this season and didn't see a thing. Trail cams are getting turkeys and small critters, plus the random deer.....but hopefully things pick up in the next couple weeks. Supposed to have rain moving in for the next few days, which is inevitable for MI.
Yes my camera is in a spot that I usually get a half dozen bucks or so along with several does. This year just nothing deer wise. What concerns me even more is the lack of sign. I have been venturing out of my typical zone to find some and there is very little compared to any year before. I am seeing the usual hikers and other critters, just not enough deer. The 4 I have saw so far is very uncommon to see so little. I talked to a friend that owns some nice property, but does not allow hunting, bummer, but I respect his policy. He found it odd that he and his wife are not getting the usual "bird feeder deer" they have been accustom to seeing every year.

I have few friends and family members (crossbow hunters) that usually tag one the first weekend, and so far everyone has been skunked. Public and Private.

Again, so far a very weird year here in Mid and NL Michigan!

· Registered
30,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
In western Michigan, standing crops......particularly corn.....have a lot to do with deer visibility. My forementioned friend has soy beans on his farm this year and the abundance of summer photos happened when they were young, green and tender plants. They have since begun to turn brown which indicates the beans are hard little pellets which deer do not seem ot prefer until late season. We have had years in his area where the deer seem to disappear from his and surrounding properties because acorn drop was more abundant elsewhere and standing corn provides both cover and food. A few years ago a large farming operation was cutting a big corn field on opening day of firearms season and we hunted it for the evening sit. Suddenly there were deer everywhere.....coming up from the surrounding marshes and thickets to graze the spilled corn. I'm not sure how much that applies to you in the NL, but mid-mitten could be dealing with a similar situation this fall?

· Registered
1,211 Posts
Farmer took off the corn on my property yesterday. They are sending it to an Ethanol plant and they prefer corn with a higher moisture content he said. I was not excited to see him pull in. Lots of corn up around the neighbors property so I am sure that will start holding the bucks i've had on camera. Nothing has shown up that I would shoot but I would like them to keep living on mine if possible. ;)

· Registered
1,211 Posts
I love hunting the day of and a few after the corn is cut in our fields. The equipment always leaves scraps behind on the turns and the deer tend to lock onto those spots for awhile.
I agree, unfortunately several stands that are my best stands actually have bad access. So I prefer corn up until mid November so I can get in and out without bumping too many deer. Every year we have beans I struggle in those spots after the first sit or two. When we have corn, I can hunt it often and continue to see mature deer consistently.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
I wasn't positive I'd shoot this deer based on cameras. Wanted to get a good look at him. He did not disappoint. Not the highest score buck but a tank. First sit of the year on Saturday. Shot at 7 pm. Trail cam picture of a picture is right before I shot. Scale is dressed weight. Estimate as a 4 yr old
Wood Font Art Gas Metal

Plant Flash photography Grass Fawn Tail

Deer Organism Flash photography Natural landscape Fawn

Plant Water Branch Purple Wood

Attachments

· Registered
Mathew’s Switchback XT
244 Posts

· Registered
Bear Archery Wild. Team #9 - 9 TInes the charm
2,632 Posts
I wasn't positive I'd shoot this deer based on cameras. Wanted to get a good look at him. He did not disappoint. Not the highest score buck but a tank. First sit of the year on Saturday. Shot at 7 pm. Trail cam picture of a picture is right before I shot. Scale is dressed weight. Estimate as a 4 yr old
View attachment 7720193
View attachment 7720192
View attachment 7720191

View attachment 7720196
Sorry not from Michigan but dang. That's pushing almost 300lbs live weight

· Registered
30,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Sorry not from Michigan but dang. That's pushing almost 300lbs live weight
Anyone can chime in.....just MI hunters posting animals, if you please.

After nearly a week off due to far too much "liquid sunshine" and rough winds, I got out this morning. Still windy, but not as bad. I saw six antlerless as it was going from gray light to actually seeing. I set up on the ground in my Double Bull chair in low light in a clump of young oaks where I could look over my shoulders and the big alfalfa field behind me and keep tabs on the finger or timber and grass transition area with lots of trails leading to the field. After it got light, I noticed a fresh scrape about the size of a trash can lid to my left......then another to my right....both within 10 yards of my location. Going back there in the near future, but lots of ground that I am figuring out in that area....some good sign.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
My brother scored a nice one at our family property. This buck showed up on the 16th and we had bad weather M-W that week, we got another picture early morning of the 20th so he left work early. Shot him around 5 pm.
Vertebrate Plant Flash photography Deer Branch

Vertebrate Natural material Nature Plant Deer

My nephew hunting our other farm a couple miles away scored his first archery buck. He's shot 4 with gun during youth and gun season. He's been trying hard for a decent buck the last two seasons and it lined up perfectly for him. It was T shirt weather but he made a great shot on the 22nd.
Plant People in nature Wood Fawn Art

I have a permission piece I might get a quick hunt in Saturday morning. My wife made a near fatal mistake and RSVP 'd for a wedding 😏 so I'm home with my kids Saturday night. Haha. I'll be out to my place for sure the following weekend.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts