Archery Talk Forum banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

· Registered
2022 PSE Stinger, 2006 PSE Bruin
176 Posts
Agree Monday and Tuesday are going to be great here in West Michigan. I haven't been out since I killed a deer on October 10th, been harassing squirrels, because of the temperature. But will be out in the morning.

· Registered
PSE Stealth Mach 1, Elite Remedy
1,527 Posts
My cousin killed a nice buck in Saturday evening’s insane winds. High winds do not stop rutting behavior. Lots of people saw and killed deer yesterday. I thought they’d be hunkered down but not so.

· Registered
Solution/Insanity CPX/HHA Tetra//Hexx 260, Carter Too Simple
1,211 Posts
Pretty slow weekend for me. A bruiser showed up 3 nights in a row and I made a play at him. No luck. He was spotted with a doe not far from where I sat last night. Plot transition area between two bedrooms. Hopefully he sticks around.

Plant Plant community Sky Ecoregion Natural landscape

Deer Flash photography Fawn Horn Tints and shades

Fawn Dog breed Terrestrial animal Tail Snout

· Registered
1,527 Posts
Close one this morning. Saw a buck about 100 yards away cruising the opposite side of the dried swamp edge I’m sitting. I had a good wind. Gave him a doe bleat followed by tending grunts. He trotted around the swamp and started hooking around towards me. It seemed like he was going to present a great shot but he veered away at the last moment. I could have shot at 30 or so but I was waiting for the chip shot. Here’s a pic:
Vertebrate Wood Branch Twig Plant

Elk Black Deer Branch Flash photography

· Registered
485 Posts
I was lucky enough to tag out on two Upper Michigan state land bucks. They were the two biggest bucks I had on camera with 12 stands setup. My two week vacation starts tomorrow and I’m thinking about buying a WI tag and doing some traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,527 Posts
I was lucky enough to tag out on two Upper Michigan state land bucks. They were the two biggest bucks I had on camera with 12 stands setup. My two week vacation starts tomorrow and I’m thinking about buying a WI tag and doing some traveling.
Nice work. Congratulations to you. Looks like the preparation paid off. I have extra respect for those making it happen on pressured state land bucks. I own a small parcel across the road from 4000 acres of public. My goal is to take a mature buck off the public land.

· Registered
Mathew’s Switchback XT
244 Posts

Beauties. Where’d you get them at?

· Registered
485 Posts
Beauties. Where’d you get them at?
West side of Upper MI. Lots of wolves competing with me over the deer but I spend a ton of time and effort trying to get a shot. Are you from the U.P.?

· Registered
30,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Well done, Yooper.....really nice bucks for your efforts!

I notched another doe tag yesterday morning behind the house from my Red Neck bale blind. It has been there for 3 years and hunted very carefully during the rut when bucks start showing up at night. They finally harvested the west corn field mid-week, which opened things up and always has a positive effect on deer sightings. Yesterday morning I wasn't feeling the best.....either allergies or a cold....and had a few overnight pix of bucks at the rub and scrape on the NW corner of our property. I headed out right at first light and promptly blew out a doe that was bedding in the grass field..... bummer! So I tucked in and ran my Trutalker grunt call every 30 minutes or so. Glanced out a window and there was a doe coming out of the standing north corn field at 20. By the time I got my bow from the hook and release on the Dloop, she was at 15 and a chip shot. Ran 80 yards into the corn down a single row with good blood, then tipped over the next row over. I dragged her out, got my Rambo cart, field dressed her in the brush line and too her home.
Bucks in daylight have been scarce for me this fall. I did see a pretty nice 8 chasing a doe on Tuesday morning, but that is about it. Hoping that changes before firearms season opens....and I do firearms hunt.
Fawn Grass Working animal Tail Terrestrial animal

· Registered
7,467 Posts
Yesterday was a wild day in the woods. Sw lp public. Saw 26. Had 23cof those within range. 9 different bucks. One giant I saw both early and late but no shot either time. Looked like it was going to happen until a smaller buck showed up and he ran him off never to return. Ended the night with 2 1.5 year old bucks in an all at brawl at 15 yards. Great day on one I really didn't expect much being 70+deg.

· Premium Member
302 Posts
Well the main archery season came and went. My hunt-able shotgun season days are spent as well. No harvestable deer offered a shot.

Talked to many folks on public land during the first week of shotgun and almost everyone said they were just hunting does, because they filled both of their buck tags with their crossbows.

My deer cam did pickup a few good pics here and there, but all at off-shooting hours. I saw a lot of little yearling deer this year. I am fine if others want to take them, but I don't need a deer that bad to do so. Everything I saw was super skittish.

I need to get off the ground and will devote the next year to getting a little "lighter" so I can do that safely. I did have a couple close calls with a buck or two, but just too much briar and brush to get a proper shot. In a tree would have been a different story!

If the weather does not get too crazy I am looking forward to some late season action. Will need to get my ground blind and heater out!

· Registered
Mathews V3X Hoyt Enticer Carbonite, Mathews Triax
514 Posts
I haven't been able to hunt much this year due to breaking an ankle hanging stands but my son killed a pretty good Mecosta county buck out of the stand I was hanging when I fell. I passed it from the same stand the previous 2 years.

Him getting it seems even more rewarding
Plant Dog Fawn Tree Carnivore
than me shooting it myself.👍

101 - 119 of 119 Posts